Very Loose Wisdom/Molar Tooth, Dental questions.

Options
While eating fast couple of months ago, I accidently bit on a bone I guess, causing my upper wisdom tooth to become somewhat loose. Loose as in I can move it around a bit with my finger but not seriously loose where I feel its gonna fall off soon or with the next bite.

I already have a couple/few very minor loose teeth throughout my life before this incident but the above incident wisdom tooth is somewhat loose and I don't want to risk it totally falling off in the future you know what I mean.

I had the usual pains after the incident and seen my dentist (not private) a week later after the incident and I wasn't charged as I was entitled.

My Dentist said the wisdom tooth needs to come out. I understand as a entitled free customer the pull out tooth option is the cheapest/quickest option available for the NHS.

The problem is I don't want to lose my wisdom tooth as of now the wisdom tooth is still hanging good in there and I can still eat apples with no problem with no pain albeit I be more careful that is slowly chewing on the side where the wisdom tooth is loose. As its been 2 months since the incident my wisdom tooth is still hanging good in there with no pains or sensitivity issues and hence I believe there still a chance to save this tooth or re-connect it to make it firm and stable again. Or put a new tooth in. I'm not submitting to the tooth fairy yet for a few quid :D

Obviously the free entitled Dental/NHS route wont do this so I have to pay for private dentist hopefully using a interest free plan if a private dentist offers one.

Generally speaking what is the dental procedure called for re-connecting loose wisdom molar tooth to make it firm and stable again or if that's not possible then what is a procedure called to put a new wisdom tooth in? I like to phone around and get general quotes you know what I mean without sounding clueless on the phone or without paying for a examination 1st as the examination has been already done by my registered dentist above with a X-Ray too.

Lastly typically how much am I looking at for the above dental procedures?

Finally is my registered dentist obliged to pass on my x-ray pictures to me upon request?

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just for clarity are we talking about the same tooth.
    The 4 pointed one at the very back of your moutth that come through in adulthood. They dont usually hang loos
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Just for clarity are we talking about the same tooth.
    The 4 pointed one at the very back of your moutth that come through in adulthood. They dont usually hang loos

Yes that one.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    You have gum disease. A wisdom does not become loose just because you bit on it in a strange way. The fact that a few other teeth are a bit loose confirms it.

There is no way to reattach a loose tooth and no dentist private or NHS will put a replacement in of any type eg implant as wisdom teeth are essentially useless teeth and there is not enough bone/room to replace the tooth. If it is so loose it cannot be reattached and the only option is to take the tooth out or wait for it to fall out .

You need to address with your dentist the changes you need to make to address your gum disease eg your cleaning regime do you use tape brushes or floss every day , stopping smoking (if you smoke) etc . The wisdom tooth will need to come out but you do not want to lose any more of the loose teeth.
  • bery_451
    bery_451 Posts: 1,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    You have gum disease. A wisdom does not become loose just because you bit on it in a strange way. The fact that a few other teeth are a bit loose confirms it.

There is no way to reattach a loose tooth and no dentist private or NHS will put a replacement in of any type eg implant as wisdom teeth are essentially useless teeth and there is not enough bone/room to replace the tooth. If it is so loose it cannot be reattached and the only option is to take the tooth out or wait for it to fall out .

You need to address with your dentist the changes you need to make to address your gum disease eg your cleaning regime do you use tape brushes or floss every day , stopping smoking (if you smoke) etc . The wisdom tooth will need to come out but you do not want to lose any more of the loose teeth.

I remember biting something like a lamb bone hard and fast that caused it to go loose I guess. It's like a impact causing injury.

Well all these years it didn't become loose till that eating incident I had above. You telling me that if you bit on a steel bar hard and fast then it shouldn't affect/injure a wisdom tooth at all?

Okay wisdom/molar teeth are useless anyway, if so why do we adults have them? What's their purpose?

What do you mean there's not enough bone/room for replacement?

It's not really so loose but somewhat loose, so there's no saving it at all? Possible to re-attach? as I dont think its seriously loose otherwise it would had fallen by now right? No amount of money that I have whether its £1 or £1 million will help me?

Reversing gum disease will prevent the other few loose teeth falling out in the future? I brush twice a day and don't smoke!

What's the difference between Gum Disease & Periodontitis Disease? What's the best private treatment money can buy for someone with a loose tooth & Periodontitis Disease?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It would be quicker for you to qualify as a dentist than for anyone trying to answer all the questions you've asked there! :D

From what you write originally, it seems like what your dentist has told you is reasonable.

No-one here can tell exactly what is going on with your mouth without looking at you, and you will face the same problem when 'ringing round for general quotes'. No one would, or indeed should, commit themselves too much without an examination.

Brook gave you a good general answer, as it does sound very much like you have gum disease (which is the same as periodontal disease) and you are getting to the stage where things are beginning to go loose and fail.

If you want anything more specific or detailed, you need to ask a dentist who can see you.

Any dentist should explain to you all your options, be they available on the NHS or not.

No dentist can tell you options that do not exist.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    bery_451 wrote: »
    What's the best private treatment money can buy for someone with a loose tooth & Periodontitis Disease?

Just thought I'd reply to this bit though - although probably not the 'Throw money at it and it's cured' answer you want

A couple of appointments with a hygienist

Probably even one where they don't even 'do' anything other than watch how you brush your teeth and offer advice on how to do it more effectively.

If you really get on top of how you brush your teeth - they you can cure your own gum disease. If you can't - it doesn't matter how much money you throw at it - you're on the path to dentures.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure