Do you like your first name?

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    It's alright. The full version I mean. But I just never felt it suited me. Feels a bit too....straight-laced, when I am not. lol

It is very common. So much so, I have a cousin with the same name, who is only a month older than me.

I have always loved the name Danielle. I had two Danielle's in my class growing up. Both of whom were pretty and popular, so I wanted to be just like them! lol
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I like mine though it does date me. Definitely a child of the 60's.

Talking of Biblical names, I always rather fancied being Hepzibah or Bathsheba.
  • WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've always disliked my first name, mainly because it can't be shortened. I also wanted a Biblical name ... Zillah! I'd have settled for Elizabeth, though, as you can shorten it lots of ways.
  • I love my name because it is unusual. I have shortened it as a nickname but hate when it is called out fully, it makes me feel like I am in trouble!
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I quite like mine - it's never been a "popular" one and doesn't denote I was born in a certain decade. Unusually for a multi-syllable name it doesn't lend itself to shortening. My husband chose our daughter's name (his goddaughters name) , but I didn't have any problem with that as it was the one my sister and I decided we would call a child when we were grownups - we were six and four at the time! Husband choose the second name too (his late sister's) and I picked her third one - it's in both the Ndebele and Zulu language, has great significance to us in it's translation and was the name of a waitress we met on holiday who had the biggest, sunniest smile I have ever seen.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Mine's obvious lol. I like it :) Never use the full 'Joanne'. Even my work stuff and bills say Jo. If I'd not been adopted, I'd be 'Alison'. I'm definitely not an Alison. Ally/Ali, etc I could live with :)
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Mine is Gareth.

I don't mind it, it's not unique and doesn't stand out which is what I prefer.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    It's ok. My surname is awkward, though. Fed up with spelling it and people rarely getting right. No women kept their maiden names in the far off days when I married.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • I like my name now but when I was younger I used to wish my name was Daisy as in Daisy Duke. :rotfl:
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Always hated my first name. I never told it to anyone without them making some kind of comment. First day at work, introduced to my new boss, he said 'yes, but what do your friends call you?' So then and there I made up a name which everyone has called me since. Last person to call me by my real name was my mother and she died 24 years ago. Apart of course from the NHS - always get a shock when the GP's receptionist calls it out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure