Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lindens
    • By lindens 12th Nov 19, 8:16 AM
    • 2,584Posts
    • 7,324Thanks
    lindens
    Checkout address incomplete
    • 12th Nov 19, 8:16 AM
    Checkout address incomplete 12th Nov 19 at 8:16 AM
    I am a long time seller on Ebay but Haven't seen an address this incomplete before and wonder how it got past the checkout address check and how it got past the royal mail address check when i bought and printed the label. I have changed some of the details but this is the gist of it:

Sarah
    127 Wishpole Close

Kent
    CH1 2EW

The postcode is valid and refers to the house number and street name, but the suburb and town are completely missing
    I didnt notice until i printed the label. I then looked up the address and hand-wrote in the missing parts.
    Anyone else had this?
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Nov 19, 9:10 AM
    • 62,974 Posts
    • 45,344 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:10 AM
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:10 AM
    I am a long time seller on Ebay but Haven't seen an address this incomplete before and wonder how it got past the checkout address check and how it got past the royal mail address check when i bought and printed the label. I have changed some of the details but this is the gist of it:

Sarah
    127 Wishpole Close

Kent
    CH1 2EW

The postcode is valid and refers to the house number and street name, but the suburb and town are completely missing
    I didnt notice until i printed the label. I then looked up the address and hand-wrote in the missing parts.
    Anyone else had this?
    Originally posted by lindens
    I find people do seem to abbreviate their addresses as they are used to online forms that only need a house number and post code. Nowadays that's all Royal Mail require.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 12th Nov 19, 9:58 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 1,319 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:58 AM
    • 12th Nov 19, 9:58 AM
    I find people do seem to abbreviate their addresses as they are used to online forms that only need a house number and post code. Nowadays that's all Royal Mail require.
    Originally posted by soolin

Has been since postcodes were introduced! I remember my dad testing the system by posting a letter addressed to himself at House Name, Postcode shortly afterward we were told ours. It arrived the next day!
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 12th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    • 12th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 3:05 PM
    I've had quite a few half addresses come through in the last month. Had to use RM's address checker to fill in the blanks !
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Nov 19, 3:50 PM
    • 8,354 Posts
    • 4,886 Thanks
    martindow
    • 12th Nov 19, 3:50 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 3:50 PM
    I always check addresses on the RM site for incomplete addresses like this as it is all to easy to make a mistake especially if you are so short of time you can't spend a second typing a town name.

Assuming it checks out it is sufficient for RM but I usually add the town in any case.
    • kiwi_fruit
    • By kiwi_fruit 12th Nov 19, 4:29 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    kiwi_fruit
    • 12th Nov 19, 4:29 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 4:29 PM
    Like above, I'm crosschecking all addresses against Royal Mail address checker and if any missing bits adjust before printing. Sometimes there's a missing town, sometimes even a letter in a postcode is wrong. (Yet counties, which are unnecessary in addressing, are almost always there)
    Useful tool, anyway https://www.royalmail.com/business/find-a-postcode
    • soolin
    • By soolin 12th Nov 19, 4:41 PM
    • 62,974 Posts
    • 45,344 Thanks
    soolin
    • 12th Nov 19, 4:41 PM
    • 12th Nov 19, 4:41 PM
    I don't have time to be messing about with addresses, I print direct via RM as at least I am covered against a claim if it goes to the wrong place (all my mail has delivery confirmation) The only time I really notice an address is for my off ebay sales where I have to input the addresses into RM (usually just post code and then choose from the drop down menu)
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 15th Nov 19, 11:06 PM
    • 4,987 Posts
    • 13,779 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    • 15th Nov 19, 11:06 PM
    • 15th Nov 19, 11:06 PM
    That is a complete address. In fact, “Kent” is superfluous, you really do only need the house number, street name and postcode. All of the other stuff is meaningless in PO terms.

I have to ask people for their addresses in my job. Postcode snobbery is rife, I’ve had people trying to tell me that they live in Greenwich (SE10), but their postcode is SE8 (Deptford). For context, Greenwich is a “Royal” borough, a World Heritage site and a major tourist attraction. Deptford isn’t!

My friend lives in a beautiful Cornish village. Her postal address is something like “1 Church Lane, TR1 111” But her address, according to her council tax bill, is “1 The Church House, 1 Church Lane, Pretty Village name, Cornish County, Cornwall, TR1 111”

What a waste of ink!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,722Users online

Martin's Twitter