UK house quality

Hello,

I'm curious to know why the UK houses are so low level. From outside they look pretty, inside worst than an horror movie, everything cracks, zero isolation = zero privacy, windows double glass almost inexistent.

I've seen mostly builders from other countries, and there they do it in the proper way with good quality materials, good isolation and solid structure.

Why in UK they build that !!!!? Why English natives never questioned about these things? (I'm not British and for me is shocking, spending around 400k around London seems the hell to me for such low quality house that after 10 years needs reconstruction inside even if I'm living alone inside).

Regards.

Comments

• WeAreGhosts
    WeAreGhosts Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The UK consists of more than just London. London is expensive whether you want a one-bed flat or a mansion.

As for double glazing not existing ... I'd say most houses are double glazed unless you live in a conservation area or the house is a listed building.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    How many properties have you viewed in the UK in order to make such as sweeping statement? Double glazing has been mandatory in all new build houses for around 20 years. Many properties in the UK are over 100 years old and double glazing didn't exist then. In conservation areas it may not even be permitted to install it.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Compared to countries like the US and New Zealand, UK houses are much more substantially constructed. I don't recognise what you describe as the norm in the UK.

What country are you comparing to?
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • Rocksolid
    Rocksolid Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks for the answers guys.

I'm talking about comparison between Italy and UK, but I could say also many post communist countries and UK which today are quite well...

I've seen this low quality and small amount of material also in brand new houses, they are building them so I know that...
    I've seen personally at least 100 houses, but also apartments, as a paradox they are better, mostly better isolation inside.

I tried to look also 2nd hand houses, well worst than the new ones obviously, at the moment I refrain to buy for this reason...
    I'm even wondering how the foundations are built at this point, this is the only thing I didn't see.

Regarding the location, the London zone is also 50 miles away, probably 25 miles radius, due to the commute possibility.

I can't imagine to pay 400k for such low quality, small garage and small garden.
    Do you see the same guys or it's just me?

If you are British I doubt you can see it, I had the same debate with other British, they look like do not follow my speech, between foreigners we see it clearly, but for one reason or another one, people keep buying
  • Dedekind
    Dedekind Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Speaking as another foreigner I used to have the same impression, thinking they were badly built be cause walls are not straight, floors are not levelled etc. But in reality that was based on two things:

1) I had mostly seen flats for rent which may not be up to the highest maintenance standards
    2) these houses are old. Really old. A little bit of wonkiness is expected, but if it's only that, and the house is still sound after more than 100 years, I'd say it actually speaks about the good build quality rather than bad.

Overall I think old buildings here are extremely well built. Can't soeak for new ones much, but most new builds tend to be lower quality than before --' this happens in all countries though
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Double glazing in our 2006 UK house has had several failures. Our French house built at the same time has had none!
    Apart from that build standards seem similar but in the UK the house is inspected by local authority during build in France it is the builders insurance who are responsible for build being to plans and our house was never inspected.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I agree, the quality control sometimes isn't great.

I guess we just build houses like Italians build cars. :)
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 8 November 2019 at 12:04PM
    If you think double glazing is almost non existent you’re really not seeing homes that are representative of the UK housing stock. As I’m walking and driving around my city I notice single glazed properties because they’re so rare. They stick out like cold and draughty thumbs.

This is me jumping to conclusions, but might your experience be shaped by exposure to the more ‘bargain’ end of the London rental market?

ETA: I’ve lived in Australia and spend a lot of time in various European countries and I’ve always lived in worse accommodation than I was used to in the UK. However, it said more about my finances than building standards. Visitors and new arrivals don’t usually get the cream of the crop.
  • Niv
    Niv Posts: 2,468 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I find it funny comparing UK housing to Italian. I went to Italy 2 years ago and thought the place looked like a 3rd world country (I was actually quite shocked by they way people were living) - no way were the buildings superior to the UK in general.
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Let’s not forget what the negotiation phase of culture shock can do to your perception.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure