PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2019 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I would like to join in with nov please but am still going with oct...many thanks to all who keep us going

i seem to have faired quite well in oct it certainly makes you think about your spends when u know you will be adding them up...my trouble is i always seem to need to buy something and i go into the shops and buy a few cheeky other things

havent got any plans for expenditure for halloween but normally pick up a few reduced sweets on the first of nov

see u later in the week
    onwards and upwards
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    £30 spent so far...that will teach me to let dh go to the shop!! :wall::rotfl:
    Never mind, I'll just have to make sure he's not let loose again this month and be a bit more creative with what we've got :D
  • jenni_fer
    Options
    Being onboard for October was pretty successful so signing up again for November. Might go easy in December, but aside from that working on gradually reducing the spend month by month.

Therefore,
    Signing up for November £300 to cover 2 adults and 2 kids (who have most of their meals at school/nursery in the week).
    To cover all spend in a supermarket/similar shop EXCEPT anything bought ahead for Xmas. Plus (new for Nov) any food bought by me at work.
  • NeverendingDMP
    Options
    Hello can I join you for the month. Some food bought already and i have 400 pounds left till 26th of the month which is my next payday. its a while since ive done the grocery challenge so im hoping i do it and if possible come under..
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Please can i join. I'm new to this so please just let me know if i' not using the thread properly.

Date for November for me will be 27th October to 26th November

Includes food, cleaning products & toiletries x 2 adults, food 2 beautiful cats :) NOT included is alcohol - it comes from entertainment now as i can't squeeze it any less (well i can but it's cheaper to entertain at home)

£150 Budget Spent so far £28.34

I don't really know what we spend - other than as little as possible - so this is the guess which i still hope i can spend less on.

Quick question - apologies if it was covered :o if i spend rewards for a shop in that shop is the reward part of my food spend or not?
    Mortgage Balance
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    HI
    Can I join in for November please, I will set a budget for £34.50 a week which will include everything. Its for one person but I do have DGC to stay quite often.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Quick question - apologies if it was covered :o if i spend rewards for a shop in that shop is the reward part of my food spend or not?

Welcome to the thread - lots of people do it different ways and it is up to you - as long as you are clear. I personally welcome the John Lewis vouchers I periodically receive for using their credit card and don't count them (or Nectar points).

For one month I recorded everything - every item that entered my basket (whether it made it home or not!) - that was quite illuminating I can tell you... talk about impulse buying. It made me very conscious.

If you are completely new to this, do take a few minutes to read the advice in the first few posts where there is some wisdom on how to reduce your spend
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • nannygladys
    nannygladys Posts: 3,075 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone
    I have recycled an old notebook that Im going to write all spends down, so I see what Im buying, I think Im fairly OK but sometimes the purse doesn't say the same!! I think it will make me more aware if Im writing it down and I hope if theres any left at the end of the month it will go to buying a few goodies for Xmas.
    Nannyg
    2024 is going to be a positive year for me, and it's starting now!! 
    Buys: All budgeted and paid by cash!
    Jan - fridge/freezer
              Hoover
    Feb - milk frother, curtain pole x2, roller blind - bathroom, toilet seat, bath sink taps, kitchen sink waste unit and an extra double electric socket.
    March - raised bed for garden, bathroom cabinet, roller blind - kitchen

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    all totalled up and ready for november might go out and buy a few reduced sweeties tomorrow

will see good luck everyone
    onwards and upwards
  • franby64
    franby64 Posts: 944 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 2 November 2019 at 4:03PM
    Options
    Hi. It's been a while since I did this challenge but Christmas is looming and I really need to cut down as much as possible this month! Please could you put me down for £225 for three of us. I'll have a read back now to get started and hope everybody has a good month.
    August Shopping Challenge. 26/8. Budget £250 Spent £256.81.. £6.81 over. So £0.00 a day left.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure