High Swerage Bill

Hi
I live in a house with a Restricted Covenant. It require me to pay for sewerage and up keep of small plant catering for 6 houses catering for 16 people. There is no one seen at the plant doing any up keep.
I am charged £1400 P.A.!11111111 so are the other 3 private owners. There are 2 council tenants. The pay some charges through the rent, but basically we’re subsidising them.
Yes I cold try and get the covenant removed and/or have my own septic tank installed. Both expensive. I’ve trie complaining an am being taken to fort for arrears. I have spoken to so many people in the poo business and they say it’s extortionate, especially with water bill on top. Housing association seem to put up bill because they can.
Is there anyone out there with any advice.
Thanks

Comments

• Tatty4 wrote: »
    Hi
    I live in a house with a Restricted Covenant. It require me to pay for sewerage and up keep of small plant catering for 6 houses catering for 16 people. There is no one seen at the plant doing any up keep.
    I am charged £1400 P.A.!11111111 so are the other 3 private owners. There are 2 council tenants. The pay some charges through the rent, but basically we’re subsidising them.
    Yes I cold try and get the covenant removed and/or have my own septic tank installed. Both expensive. I’ve trie complaining an am being taken to fort for arrears. I have spoken to so many people in the poo business and they say it’s extortionate, especially with water bill on top. Housing association seem to put up bill because they can.
    Is there anyone out there with any advice.
    Thanks

Is the small plant you refer to cueently working ok?
    In which case, why do you expect anyone to be there???

If you wanted just one person to be at the plant 24/7/365, that would probably cost you all a collective £80,000 per year at least!

Surely you are paying the £1400 per year to some one, perhaps a managing agent? It depends on the agreement under which the payment is made, but often whoever you pay the money to produce accounts to show how that money is actually being spent. I can't see a council spending money they cannot account for.

I've no idea if you would be successful in trying to get the covenant removed, but perhaps you could, with the support of the council behind you, get accounts for what the money paid gets spent on. (if not already done)

The downside you you pulling out of your current arrangement is that the £1400 you currently pay will probably have to be shred amongst the remaining house, and on the basis you explain, it may mainly be the 3 private houses. This is because you seem to imply that the £1400 is mainly your (unequal?) share of maintaining the plant, and that overall cost probably won't change much if only you didn't use it.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    So four households each pay £1400pa, totalling £5600pa for the operation of the private sewerage system which serves six properties. The other two properties may or may not be making some sort of payments through their rent.

To whom do you pay these charges? Is it to a managing company, or is it to the utility company responsible for sewerage in your area? Do you pay a sewerage charge do the utility company at all?

The four of you should jointly enter into discussions with whoever you are making payments to, to understand the charges, and see whether you can negotiate a reduction.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure