Dental Implant surgeries abroad

Options
Hi. I'm new to this so just learning the ropes!

My husband is desperate to get some help with his teeth. He really wants implants. After an initial consultation in the UK, he has been given a rough quote of £20k!

He is seriously considering going abroad for the treatment but would really like some personal recommendations. :p

Can anyone tell me of their experiences and where they went? Thank you xx :D

Comments

• ukmike
    ukmike Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fine untill they go wrong,then no UK dentist will look at them.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    From the sound of it this is an extensive treatment plan, that will take several months to complete, multiple visits and will need maintainance afterwards.

The problem is even if things go to plan events like healing caps falling off, temporaries breaking or coming off, happen and no dentist in the U.K. will touch implant work being done abroad so you would have to return to the original dentist to have this sorted.

The other problem is that even in the most experienced implantologists hands things can go wrong , infections can happen , work may need to be remade etc and that will necessitate repeat visits.

Finally implants are not fit and forget. Things need replacing , maintainance etc and checks should be done on an annual basis . Again this should be done with the original dentist and few if any U.K. dentists will want to get involved with work done abroad. This is because then they become jointly liable for it and it is much easier to see recompense from a U.K. dentist than negotiate a foreign legal system.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hmmmm - two brand new posters appear within hours asking for advice on dental clinics abroad!

What's the betting a helpful Hungarian/Turkish/Romanian clinic will soon pop in and post a split up link pointing towards their website?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Anita_13
    Options
    Mine is honestly a genuine question! I'm just looking for anyone who has been through it and can make any recommendations either abroad or in the UK without us actually having to consider remortgaging...
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Some of the replies on the other thread are relevant to your husband too.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=6006109
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Second direct mention of this name, slightly different approaches.
  • sheilavw
    sheilavw Posts: 1,600 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I havent had implants but had a bridge done in Fethiye turkey about 13 years ago, 4 appts booked in advance over my 10 day stay. My own dentist was very impressed and had no problems
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Just hit spam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills