Please note: The Auto-enrolment sub-board is now closed. If you have a question around pensions, please post in the Pensions, Annuities and Retirement Planning board.

Will late payments from employer affect my pension?

I've just started a new job with auro enrollment pension. My employer is over 90 days late with paying contributions. I have spoken to him about it & he says it will be paid in asap. Just wondering if this has any overall effect on my pension, other than he's in breach of the rules?

Comments

• MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Each job I've been in since auto enrollment appeared I've had to be employed by them for 3 months before joining or opting out.

How long have you been in your new job?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Just wondering if this has any overall effect on my pension, other than he's in breach of the rules?

Only the potential loss of any rise in whatever you're purchasing within the pension in the period between when the money should have got to your pension fund, and when it actually does.

Given the amounts likely concerned and the time compared to how long they'll be in there until you draw a pension, I shouldn't imagine it's a great deal in the grand scheme of things.

However, possibly of more concern, is if this is an indication of something that may be an ongoing problem, or is simply because you've just started and they're fiddling about with the initial paperwork.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • Each job I've been in since auto enrollment appeared I've had to be employed by them for 3 months before joining or opting out.

How long have you been in your new job?

Started the full time job in January, been enrolled since January. Have worked for the employer for over 3 years, but prior to January as a contractor.
  • Only the potential loss of any rise in whatever you're purchasing within the pension in the period between when the money should have got to your pension fund, and when it actually does.

Given the amounts likely concerned and the time compared to how long they'll be in there until you draw a pension, I shouldn't imagine it's a great deal in the grand scheme of things.

However, possibly of more concern, is if this is an indication of something that may be an ongoing problem, or is simply because you've just started and they're fiddling about with the initial paperwork.

Thanks for this. As far as I can tell it is fiddling with paperwork! I've been told a few times it will all be paid in after April 6th, so I'm sure it will be. As stated above have known my employer a long time, and he's always been trustworthy with everything. My only concern was just about if the lateness affected my pension overall. I've never had a pension fund before, I was previously self employed. Thank you for the input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure