Doorbell stolen

50Twuncle
50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
My next door neighbours had their RING video doorbell stolen last night !!
They had only had the system for a week and we wonder what someone will do with it ?
Although RING evidently offer free replacements for stolen items in the USA - Not sure about the UK
It was prised off the doorframe - so tamper proof screws did nothing !

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    They had only had the system for a week and we wonder what someone will do with it ?
    Although RING evidently offer free replacements for stolen items in the USA - Not sure about the UK

They should have purchased and installed a stand alone CCTV camera to monitor their expensive video doorbell. :undecided
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Could be something more sinister. Don't know the insides and outs of the RING doorbell but if you are able to access the video feed anytime and not just when the doorbell is rung then it could be someone up to no good getting rid of the cctv as it were to come back later.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    EachPenny wrote: »
    They should have purchased and installed a stand alone CCTV camera to monitor their expensive video doorbell. :undecided
    Bit of overkill that EP. All they'd need to do is put it inside the door where you normally keep expensive easily nicked stuff. . .
    lbonline wrote: »
    Could be something more sinister. Don't know the insides and outs of the RING doorbell but if you are able to access the video feed anytime and not just when the doorbell is rung then it could be someone up to no good getting rid of the cctv as it were to come back later.
    Could be, but I'd say it was most likely to be one of the local light fingered brigade mooching about to see what was easy to nick, and doing just that. There isn't much you can do about ti if they are coming back apart from making sure everything is locked, and being careful as per normal.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »

I assume they have the video evidence of the thief taking it?
  • Has anyone else had experiences like this? I've been looking at the ring door bells but they're so talked about now if someone were try something surley they would only need to come upto it face covered andnsoray the lens?
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Which all backs up my "what is the point of a ring doorbell" thoughts.

Looks like if you cannot stop the unit itself getting stolen then what's the point of it
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • 50Twuncle
    I have always wondered whether someone who calls and discovers that the house owner is away - would be put off breaking in - if this was the intention ?
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Which all backs up my "what is the point of a ring doorbell" thoughts.

Looks like if you cannot stop the unit itself getting stolen then what's the point of it
    Capturing great close-up video of the theft in progress. :)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • 50Twuncle
    EachPenny wrote: »
    Capturing great close-up video of the theft in progress. :)

Apparently not - there is no video
    Should a movement detector have been switched on ?
  • Movement detection is on by default. Mine detects the postman walking in front of the garage and taking a short cut over my lawn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure