Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 26th Dec 18, 5:14 PM
    • 6,179Posts
    • 54,550Thanks
    Frugaldom
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge
    • 26th Dec 18, 5:14 PM
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge 26th Dec 18 at 5:14 PM
    Join us here for year 12 of the Frugaldom challenge on MSE

The Frugal Living Challenge 2019

It's that time of year again, the time when we all need to start thinking ahead into the new year and how we are going to tackle any debts, generate extra income and squirrel away some savings.

Please take the time to read this post in full and if you have any questions, feel free to message me or ask in the forum.

This is an adaptation of the original NYK/Frugaldom 'Living on £4,000 for a Year' challenge. It has been running here on MSE for several years, although these particular money challenges began back in the 90's, elsewhere. We have seen many changes over the years, so this version is a catalogue of diaries charting the progress of 'debt free wannabe' money savers.

Your budget is personal to you, it should fit with your personal financial situation.

If you would like to use a simple spreadsheet for calculating your annual expenditure, you are welcome to download a free copy of the original one HERE Simply overwrite the initial monthly amounts and the totals will auto-calculate. From then, it is a simple case of deducting (use the minus sign in front of the amounts) all your outgoings as the year progresses. It's worth while playing about with it to alter headings to suit your personal lifestyle. I've included a couple of extra columns for things like rent/mortgage & council tax and misc/debt payments.

Some have already achieved debt freedom and now follow frugal lifestyles in order to stay debt free. Others are still tackling their debts and living a frugal life in an attempt to reach their debt-free and/or mortgage-free day. Whichever stage you are at, feel free to join us and share your journey.

The following links will take you to previous MSE versions of our challenge:

The 2018 Challenge

The 2017 Challenge

The 2016 Challenge

The 2015 Challenge

The 2014 Challenge

The 2013 Challenge

The 2012 Challenge

Part 1 - January to March 2011
    Part 2 - April to June 2011
    Part 3 - July to December 2011
    Introduction to the 2010 Challenge
    Part 1 - January to March 2010
    Part 2 - April to June 2010
    Part 3 - July to September 2010
    Part 4 - October to December 2010
    Part 1 - January to March 2009
    Part 2 - April to June 2009
    Part 3 - July to September 2009
    Part 4 - October to December 2009
    Part 1 - January to March 2008
    Part 2 - April to June 2008
    Part 3 - July to September 2008
    Part 4 - October to December 2008

How it all began - Saving to buy a house without a mortgage 2007 Challenge

The original interest beater challenge

The original £1000 in 100 days challenge

The original free hobbies thread

IMPORTANT
    Please respect others' lifestyles and beliefs. We are not here to judge, we are here to support. Thank you

This challenge is about living a frugal, sustainable lifestyle - establishing your true cost of living, sticking to your budget, clearing any debts and making savings wherever and however you can to enable you to live the life you really want.

Frugal living isn't for everyone, but everyone is welcome to join us. Methods employed by our merry band of frugalers include batch cooking, stockpiling, preserving, foraging, mending, shopping in charity shops, reducing, reusing, recycling, Local Exchange Trading Schemes (LETS), vegetable and fruit growing, allotments, keeping hens, using cash back sites and earning whatever it takes to become self sufficient in managing the cost of living without incurring debt.

For some it is initially about clearing debt, for others it's about increasing savings, buying property, becoming stay at home mums or paying off the mortgage early. Some choose the lifestyle on ethical grounds. Above all, this is a fun and supportive way to manage your budget so you have control of your own cost of living. It's about NEEDS and not WANTS.

Living on a budget = living within our means.
    Frugal = thrifty, living without waste

Ideas to help you achieve and/or maintain debt free living
    Recognise the differences between needs from wants

Spend within your means
    Set a proper budget
    Quit expensive bad habits
    Houseshare
    Get a lodger
    Shop via cash-back sites and always price compare
    Buy reduced items in stores only if you need them
    Stockpile & bulk buy bargains that you use
    Batch cooking
    Make the most of charity shops
    Join freebie or waste awareness and recycling associations
    LETS trading - become active members of trading & exchange groups
    Bartering
    Grow your own herbs, fruit & veg
    Preserving & winemaking
    Breadmaking & home baking
    Card & gift making
    Order splitting/sharng for better discounts & reduced delivery costs
    Landsharing, allotments & frugal garden systems
    Online trading - auctions, stores, social media pages
    etc, etc, etc...

Monitoring and revising the budget is part of a good frugal living plan. Gifts & cards could all to be homemade, livestock needs to pay its own keep, anything else needs to be cash neutral.

The bits we need to include to make this work
    ====================================

Please read the MSE forum rules and help us to keep this challenge on track, thank you.
    If you have any questions about this challenge, feel free to PM me.
    The following is taken from the official MSE forum rules section:

KEEPING THREADS ON-TOPIC

Please try not to take threads off-topic. This can be confusing for new users and makes it especially difficult for people ... Where requests from Board Guides for threads to be brought back on track have not been followed off-topic posts may be removed. We encourage community, but not thread derailment.

Please bear in mind the main purpose of the site is to save money. The forum team has therefore been instructed to prioritise its time on the MoneySaving forums.

KEEPING TOPICS RELEVANT TO THE BOARD

There are two boards provided for off-topic chat and discussion. The MoneySavers Arms has been set up for fun, more lighter-hearted chat (although do still remember this is a family forum – keep it clean please). Discussion Time is for discussion of current issues (read Martin’s description).

If you post a topic that does not relate to the board it’s posted on it will be moved to a more relevant MoneySaving board or to Discussion Time/The MoneySavers Arms.

This challenge is about paying for needs so we can afford to live debt free and save for/afford wants. It runs from 1st January to 31st December. The links will give you an idea of how previous challenges have gone and these will be updated accordingly.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

GOOD LUCK IN 2019

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by Frugaldom; 27-11-2019 at 7:46 PM.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
Page 3
    • lantanna
    • By lantanna 28th Dec 18, 3:05 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 19,875 Thanks
    lantanna
    Hi,

Iíd like to join please.

My priorities are to make more of my £. Iíve joined the grocery challenge and my budget for January is £1oo.

Another one who likes her holidays and would like to get away on two separate sun weeks this year. I work hard and Iím single so those are my treat to myself.

I have a fraction of the debt I had a few years ago but would like to see the bulk of the remainder gone by the end of this year.

I have no savings as such so would like a good buffer in place by the end of the year and also will need to replace my car early 2o2o so will need to save this year for that as well. Looking forward to getting started.

Will be back to list debts, planned payments and saving aims.
    2019, A year of saving, getting healthy again and turning 40
    £2793.67/£184 debt cleared in 2019 #5o
    GC Feb £170 / £169.43
  • archived user
    Definitely joining this year. Need to claw back our emergency fund that we managed to save up to £1000 but is now back at £300.
    My plans for next year are.....

Buy less food and cook more things to freeze.
    Use home made gifts and charity shops more often.
    Try and pay more off debts as well as mortgage
    Use less electricity
    Sell more on Ebay, FB groups etc
    Buy more second hand stuff and not always new.
    Set up more savings accounts for different things
    don't throw anything away until I have decided if I can actually do anything with it....re-use, up-cycle, re-gift etc
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 28th Dec 18, 4:29 PM
    • 5,867 Posts
    • 46,775 Thanks
    DawnW
    I'd like to join again please. OH and I are both retired (though also have small self employed incomes), live in our house which we now own outright, and have a small dog. I grow as many vegetables and fruits as I can in our small garden, keep a reasonable store cupboard and cook from scratch almost always. We like holidays too, though they take the form of trips in our elderly camper van... not expensive as such as we self cater and take lots of home made and home grown food with us, but if I factor in repair and running costs
    We don't have any debt, but don't have a big income to service it, so just as well! Health issues and having to help out a relative both financially and practically blew our budget last year, but having said that there are definitely things that can be cut down on!

We have plans for a couple of small home / garden improvement projects over the next couple of months, but these will be paid from savings and not frightfully expensive anyway. In the meantime, I need to study the 2018 spreadsheet that I kept meticulously, in order to set realistic budgets

• RebeccaAnn
    • By RebeccaAnn 28th Dec 18, 4:59 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 753 Thanks
    RebeccaAnn
    Hello, could I join you all please? We have a big savings year and we are trying to attack it from all sides.
    I am currently filling the freezer with the time I have off work. I made bean stew the other day and it worked out at under 20p a portion. I have bought quite a lot of the veg that is on sale at the moment and will be making mash and soups to freeze. One of our biggest expenses is convience foods as we both work long hours.

I have done my budget for 2019. I am planning to move to Norwich next year(hopefully after my holiday in April), so I am paying the property maintenance monthly for the flat. I really have to cut down on my spending. I did end an very toxic friendship this year which affected me emotional and financially. I have started a new journey in 2018 since my Mum sadly died in December 2017. Still on a learning curve.
    Originally posted by Kerry Woman
    Norwich is an amazing city and the vegan/frugal movement here is huge . Sorry to hear about your mum, hopefully 2019 will be everything you want it to be.
    SPC #062
    12k in2019 #23 £8167/£16k
    Make £2019 in 2019 #32 £513/£2019
    • Shrewbie
    • By Shrewbie 28th Dec 18, 5:22 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 2,447 Thanks
    Shrewbie
    I'd love to join please!
    Paid off all my debt this year and aiming to save a total of Ä10K in 2019 - made up from Ä2K for emergency fund, Ä2k for travel fund and Ä6k for future house deposit. It is ambitious but definitely do-able, as long as I can be frugal, and this is why I need this challenge!

I have decided 2019 will be a shopping ban apart from second hand items. The only thing I would potentially buy new is pants and tights from Pr1mark. Any gifts I will aim to hand make with minimal cost.

Looking forward to getting started!
    CC £2476/£2476 100% OD £602/£602 100%
    Emergency Fund Ä2K/Ä2k 100% Savings Ä2k/5K
    NST AUG NSD 0/15 Spend fast 2019!!
    • chocolatelover93
    • By chocolatelover93 29th Dec 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 7,233 Thanks
    chocolatelover93
    Can I join please?

I live with my 2 year old son and decided that I want to start reducing our waste and living more frugally.

In spring I am going to buy lots of seeds and plant them so we can grow our own fruit and veg - that way he can learn where his food comes from and will hopefully reduce our shopping spend.

I already shop mainly in charity shops for clothes and things I am going to try and do this for all clothes and toys this year unless they are in the sale. So I won't be paying full price for clothes, toys, presents etc.

I am trying to declutter the house so am trying to put at least 1 thing on FB marketplace a day to earn a bit of extra money to get my £3k debt down.

I worked out my total earnings/spendings for 2018 and was shocked by how much I overspend and on silly things! So I have set budgets for the year and I am going to stick to them.

I am also a memeber of SW which is £4.95 a week but will be free once I get to target so that is something else I am aiming for. Me and my friend have both said that if we stick to it 100% we could be at target by July/August 2019.

C xx
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 29th Dec 18, 10:34 AM
    • 6,179 Posts
    • 54,550 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    A huge WELCOME to all our newbies and welcome back to our returning frugalers. Good luck to everyone with their plans and I hope you have all set realistic targets that are easily achievable. If your challenge looks too huge or daunting, break it into mini challenges on a month by month basis so you can see you are achieving many smaller goals, then the end result is most definitely worthwhile.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 29th Dec 18, 11:43 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    I have managed 2 NSD
    And only cooked from food stocks since Christmas Day
    We won't shop until 2nd Jan

If I stay in and tie my hands my back I might have NSD until then
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) £18 Pot 2 £10
    total £22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    £40/1000 plus some in my bank £138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 29th Dec 18, 12:07 PM
    • 10,905 Posts
    • 57,406 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    I always start off well and life then gets in the way.
    I am currently away on a break with my Mum, so I will look at things on my return, but I have amassed a lot of credit cards debt helping my son and it has backfired on me as he is not paying me back anything at all never mind what was promised.
    It is leaving me starting the new year in a hell of a mess.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 29th Dec 18, 12:55 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,706 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    I always start off well and life then gets in the way.
    Originally posted by Mooloo
    I think this happens to many of us
    I too am hoping to stay on track

frugal things today
    Made Pork ragout (enough for two days)
    made 2 cakes - one to take for sister in law tomorrow one to use as dessert for tonight (its cheaper than the casserole)
    Cheese scones to go with casserole (only a few spuds left)
    shortbread to take to sister in laws tomorrow

and its a NSD

all food stuffs have come from cupboard
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) £18 Pot 2 £10
    total £22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    £40/1000 plus some in my bank £138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    • allie23
    • By allie23 29th Dec 18, 3:25 PM
    • 1,382 Posts
    • 14,883 Thanks
    allie23
    Hi there, I'd like to join again for 2019 and pledge to be more active on the thread this year.

OH and I have agreed to have no holidays this year so we can focus on maximising our savings this year. We have been debt and mortgage free for a few years now (thanks to MSE and the forums) and are focussed on savings for retirement in an attempt to plug the gap in our pensions and have some savings to retire slightly earlier.

Thanks to Frugaldom for running this challenge again.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2019
    Save £12k in 2019 - Challenger No 69 - £29,301/£40,000
    December grocery Challenge £88/£150
    • mummy2threeboys
    • By mummy2threeboys 29th Dec 18, 5:00 PM
    • 950 Posts
    • 13,802 Thanks
    mummy2threeboys
    cw18..Would love to see Meal plans we saved about £20 but using this method. I'm sure there was a very tight budget plan on one of the past frugal years?

Re threatening to leave companies for cost saving, Why does it always have to come to that? My Sk-eye Has increased £20 because I have a landline I do not use, They lied and said no-one Does Broadband only , Yes E-E does, so they took the phone line off for 18 months but It went back off again this month, So I will renew or swap.

Capricorn, If you have been diagnosed with Allergies by the Dr you may well get help with food on prescription. My son was very allergic to all Dairy as a baby (Couldn't even keep my milk down as of course I ate dairy..if only someone had said remove it from my diet, it may have helped!), Very underweight, thankfully he grew out of it by the time he was two, so now just intolerant rather than full on Allergic.

DawnW..Gardening..humm The last 3 years we have had bad crops, I am wondering if it is because whilst we use New (yet re-used ie composted back in) That is why? Odd though as we did have about 5 years of no stop lettuce, beans/peas toms and courgettes ..last few years shocking!

Choclover..That is the best way I find for the kiddies to learn, also we found it helped them to eat what they had grown, Plus soil and gardening is amazing for mood boosting!

Mooloo gosh you need to have words with you Ds, My brother did the same to my mum , i'm so sorry

Allie..Re Holidays do you know anyone who (A friend/relative) Who would like a house sitter? We did belong to a house sitting site but its £100 (Unless you find a discount somewhere) To sign up, takes ages to find anyone to agree as people like to take on those with reviews..and when you do get sits not everyone leaves a review, Plus the cost of travel, extra food and I feel a need to leave their house in perfect condition, when you have kids it kind of leaves you on edge!

3 nsd. Yesterday spent £40 on a year long art program for middle son , a saving of £77, because I signed up with a large group. (We have been Home educators for 7 years, and middle son is taking Art Awards and Art Gcse). I Also have £70 to pay for IGCSE exam soon. But that is all our educational spends this year, Other than a load of printer ink and paper..I even managed a free access to a site as I had done so many reviews :P

Anyway see you soon, sorry for the long chat!
    Compers challenge 27/70
    £1805/2018
    • skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 29th Dec 18, 7:32 PM
    • 789 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    skint_chick
    Biggest problem areas for me
    1) Food. My family is riddled with coeliacs, and in addition, one son is allergic to caisin in milk and nuts and I have nuts and coconut to worry about as well as gluten. Other son's girlfriend is allergic to eggs. For us, the problem is not so much downgrading to a cheaper option as to find any option. I bake and cook almost everything from scatch, but scourcing and buying suitable ingredients can be difficult, and expensive.
    Originally posted by CapricornLass
    I follow a modified paleo diet to help with my autoimmune diseases, and for my carbs use sweet potato starch noodles from the Asian supermarket - they're about a pound a kg. I also use cassava flour (also from Asian supermarket) to make bread and pizza bases. I didn't think there was casein in coconut as it's not an actual nut? I make my own coconut milk from whole coconuts as the supermarket ones add a whole lots of stabilisers and rice starch and I prefer natural. I even make my own coconut yoghurt with my InstantPot - I live on a lot of cheaper meat cuts slow cooked with homegrown or cheap in season veggies. I usually have a reaction to gluten free specialist products because I can't eat nightshade vegetables like white potatoes either and that's usually what's in the bread and biscuits etc.

I've set my budget at £5,578 not including mortgage or council tax. There's 2 of us plus our rabbit Poppy.
    Food £1,900
    Gas and electricity £700
    Petrol £400
    Home insurance £120
    Presents £120
    Social life £120 (I don't drink alcohol)
    Travel insurance £50
    Clothes £250
    Car insurance £300
    Car tax £115
    Haircuts £84
    TV licence £149
    Broadband, phone, and TV £325
    Mobiles £456 - we both recently got new phones
    Life and critical illness cover £489

I hope to be under on the food budget as I've been doing online surveys which gives me a £10 Tesco voucher every 2/3weeks. I meal plan, shop at the Asian supermarket and Lidl for staples and everything is made from scratch, we only eat out maybe 3 or 4 times a year. For holidays we usually go Eurocamp or equivalent in Europe out of school holidays, this year we're talking about either renting an apartment in Poland or Portugal depending on when we can get away. Budget is around £500 for us both for a week.

Haven't bought any food since 21st December, for Xmas we just got a small turkey crown and some sausages and bacon and a couple of bottles of beer for OH and a bottle of Schloer for me that we wouldn't usually. I'm off to Switzerland in just over a week to visit my new nephew, so will just be getting veggies this week to add to all the freezer food that OH will be using up while I'm away.
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
    • cw18
    • By cw18 29th Dec 18, 8:56 PM
    • 8,086 Posts
    • 86,101 Thanks
    cw18
    cw18..Would love to see Meal plans we saved about £20 but using this method. I'm sure there was a very tight budget plan on one of the past frugal years?
    Originally posted by mummy2threeboys
    Unfortunately mine won't be low budget. I have a horrifically high grocery budget of £35 a week just for me that I struggle to stick to - and that's just for food with absolutely no alcohol, take-aways or eating out (not even a butty from a supermarket for lunch). I'm lactose intolerant which gets worse when I do a lot of exercise, and I plan to do lots more of that next year. I also have to watch fat intake (trying to control my cholesterol by diet so I can continue to tell my GP where to stick the statins), and they consider me to be at high risk of type 2 diabetes (making high levels of refined sugar yet another thing to watch out for when I food shop) Add to that the fact I burn over 1000 calories a day at work (without my additional exercise), and it means I also have to have large portions with lots of protein even while trying to lose weight - I'm basically eating for 2 all the time !!!!!!
    Cheryl
    • cuddlymarm
    • By cuddlymarm 29th Dec 18, 9:40 PM
    • 1,357 Posts
    • 8,200 Thanks
    cuddlymarm
    Hi Cheryl
    Donít forget that your good health is more important than a low food spend. If you get ill in the long run it will cost you more so you must spend what is necessary for you.
    OH and I are doing SW at the moment and although itís not a madly expensive diet we could eat cheaper. But itís worth the extra to lose the weight to get and keep good health. We have started to eat less meat though. We are lucky that we can afford whatís necessary, I know lots of people on here cannot and have to balance their food budget against other costs. We all have to try our best to do whatís best for us and ours.
    Cuddles
    • lantanna
    • By lantanna 29th Dec 18, 10:14 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 19,875 Thanks
    lantanna
    Unfortunately mine won't be low budget. I have a horrifically high grocery budget of £35 a week just for me that I struggle to stick to - and that's just for food with absolutely no alcohol, take-aways or eating out (not even a butty from a supermarket for lunch). I'm lactose intolerant which gets worse when I do a lot of exercise, and I plan to do lots more of that next year. I also have to watch fat intake (trying to control my cholesterol by diet so I can continue to tell my GP where to stick the statins), and they consider me to be at high risk of type 2 diabetes (making high levels of refined sugar yet another thing to watch out for when I food shop) Add to that the fact I burn over 1000 calories a day at work (without my additional exercise), and it means I also have to have large portions with lots of protein even while trying to lose weight - I'm basically eating for 2 all the time !!!!!!
    Originally posted by cw18
    Why the large portions? What job to you do?
    2019, A year of saving, getting healthy again and turning 40
    £2793.67/£184 debt cleared in 2019 #5o
    GC Feb £170 / £169.43
    • cw18
    • By cw18 29th Dec 18, 10:53 PM
    • 8,086 Posts
    • 86,101 Thanks
    cw18
    Why the large portions? What job to you do?
    Originally posted by lantanna
    I'm a postie. I've averaged 7 miles of walking per working day this year, but because of carrying the post (and pushing heavy trolleys) and all the stretching and turning it gives a much higher calorie burn than just walking would do (I use a heart rate monitor so know where I'm at with it). Work plus exercise this year has earned me an average of 1130 calories a day - every day, not just working days.

My exercise plans for 2019 are to complete 3521 miles of walking, running, cycling and swimming (I'm on 2840 for this year). My base targets are 621.4 miles (1000km) of running, 380 miles of recreational/commute walking, 500 miles of cycling and 26 miles of swimming. By the time I add in the walking I expect to do at work (as a minimum) I reckon I still have another 380 miles to find by going over and above those targets. Cycling to work an average of twice a week instead of once would give me another 600 miles, assuming it was always to my official office and I wasn't being loaned out as often happens !!!
    Cheryl
    • gien
    • By gien 29th Dec 18, 11:30 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 15,704 Thanks
    gien
    I'd like to join in and be more active this year - I often read last year's thread but just wasn't;t very good at posting. Have just completed our annual summary for our accounts and then my DH and I will be having a look at how to budget for next year, where we can cut back etc over the next couple of days. It's been a difficult year for us in many ways - one child setting up alone with his first job, another still in uni being big costs for us. My DH's work has been intermittent so that lead to uncertainty and we had a couple of really big unexpected expenses (boiler...car....) which knocked us off kilter a bit. I'm now crossing my fingers that everything will go well for the next few months and we can get back on track. Luckily I start in a new job in mid january which is better paid and more interesting so I'm excited for that.

Trying to keep in budget.

• skint_chick
    • By skint_chick 30th Dec 18, 9:36 AM
    • 789 Posts
    • 5,659 Thanks
    skint_chick
    My exercise plans for 2019 are to complete 3521 miles of walking, running, cycling and swimming (I'm on 2840 for this year). My base targets are 621.4 miles (1000km) of running, 380 miles of recreational/commute walking, 500 miles of cycling and 26 miles of swimming.
    Originally posted by cw18
    Wow! Love that you have exercise goals - I have always had a goal to get fitter but this seems like a better way of breaking it down. I rarely walk anywhere because I'm self employed so don't have one place of work and none of the places I work are near enough to home. I did a really challenging hike to the top of Europe's highest waterfall last summer and was so proud of myself, so this year I would like to take more long walks and be in nature more. I'll have to think abut realistic distance targets!
    "I cannot make my days longer so I strive to make them better." Paul Theroux
    • cw18
    • By cw18 30th Dec 18, 10:09 AM
    • 8,086 Posts
    • 86,101 Thanks
    cw18
    Wow! Love that you have exercise goals - I have always had a goal to get fitter but this seems like a better way of breaking it down.
    Originally posted by skint_chick
    I've signed up to a challenge run by an American company (which comes with a multi-part medal that's cost rather more than I wanted to pay, but there's nothing like it here in the UK and I did sit and debate it for about 6 weeks before signing up). It's basically a 3521 mile coast-to-coast route you do virtually, and you see video footage of the stretches as you go, as well as earning stickers for reaching certain places and chunks of the medal at intervals. It doesn't have to be completed in 12 months (some people have been at it 2.5 years and are still working at it), but the alternative for a 'large' annual total is a walk/run the year (so 2019 miles) which is well below what I've done in 2018 making it far too easy and not a challenge at all.

All my distances are medal related.

I've signed up for 1000km of running (though I can claim the medal for walking or a mix if I don't make the running distance, and I have 50k, 100k, and 500k on the way up to keep me going), which is an increase from 450-ish miles in 2018 to 621.4 miles. I'm hoping to extend this to 1000 miles in 2020

The 380 miles of recreation/commute walking is to top the running up to 1000 miles (another challenge, with a 500 mile one on the way up) - I've done over 500 miles this year, but I'm not sure which way it will go as I increase my running distance. If I start running to work on a once/twice a week basis the walking will increase (to get me home), but if I do most of my running from home it'll probably drop.

I've got my eyes on medals for 300 and 500 miles of cycling, but not signed up for either yet. There is a longer one, but I'll only sign up if I reckon I'm getting close and it's still available - both very unlikely.

The swimming was a more personal thing, but as of January a company is now offering medals for monthly swimming targets - the lowest being 2 miles (I should be able to force myself out for that as it's only one short session a week, and having a medal to earn makes it more likely I will push myself out to the pool) and the next being 5 miles (unlikely to reach that more than a couple of times in the year when I have a week off without going away). If I get their monthly medals all year I then get a (free) bonus one they engrave with the actual total distance I did

Medals (and live race entries - already signed up for 4 10k races in 2019) have become my biggest single non-essential spend, but I don't drink alcohol, smoke, buy takeaways, eat out or pay for holidays (as a general rule - we did have a couple of breaks in London this year for the Marathon and again for an NFL game I won tickets to) so I'm happy about paying for them as long as it's not putting me into debt. And using my pushbike more should reduce my car expenses (fuel and wear & tear) so that puts some money into my medals pot
    Last edited by cw18; 30-12-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    Cheryl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,681Posts Today

8,462Users online

Martin's Twitter