On-grid domestic battery storage

Comments

• JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 April 2019 at 10:37PM
    I wish we only used 3300 kWh/annum. There are just the two of us yet for the last two years before we installed solar we were using 6900 kWh/annum. Our base load is 240 watts so that accounts for 2100 kWh. We live in the sticks so don't have mains gas. We use E7 for DHW. We cook by electric. I am hoping with solar we will reduce our import by half. We would appear to be a good candidate for a battery.

This time of year we are importing 6/7 kWh/day and have sufficient spare generation (15-20 kWh) to charge a battery to cover that import but in December and January when we now average an import of 19 kWh/day and really need a battery we have no spare solar to charge it. In summer our import might be 4 kWh, of which half is E7, we could potentially save 45p a day. In spring and autumn we might save £1 a day but in winter nothing. Our average daily saving from a battery could be 50p or £180/year. We would need a useable capacity of say 6/7 kWh, say 8 kwh nominal capacity. Even if we could buy an 8 kwh battery for £5000, payback would still be almost 28 years.

(If we were to add in 6/7 kWh of E7 battery charging for 3 months we could save another £35 per annum which would bring payback down to 23 years.)

Not a great investment at the moment.
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

On those figures I'd be surprised if you weren't consuming a total of around 8MWh per year .... that's about 18x the consumption of the 50" TVs I'm currently watching if it was on all year, or a couple of small computer servers on 24x7x365 in addition to average consumption.

With that kind of consumption & no real clue where it's going, I'd suggest investing around £30 in a whole house energy monitor & an additional £tenner in a single plug version and try to trace down where your demand is ... if you're currently paying around £900/year for electricity imports the payback could be measured in days!

How is the inverter connected ... main consumer unit or separate unit with henley block? ... this may determine how your monitor can be connected or what type of monitor is best suitable.

You really do need to address the consumption issue before considering investing £significant in a battery solution ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • zeupater
    edited 1 April 2019 at 11:01PM
    jcontest wrote: »
    JKenH have you looked at https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/scotland/grants-loans/renewables/renewable-heat-incentive

Sadly SolarPV/Thermal combo panels wouldn't qualify for RHI in the past but if you don't have panels at the moment they might now! They are basically SolarPV panels with heat tubes on the back.
    Hi

He's already got a large multi-orientation array & proportional diversion for DHW ... and Lincolnshire is south of the border, so doubt such a hybrid panel option or the link is of any real interest at the moment!

We don't use PV for DHW but have a large solar thermal setup which normally provides all of our water heating from around now through to late autumn ... we likely used our last gas for space heating or DHW this season about three weeks ago ... :cool:

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

On those figures I'd be surprised if you weren't consuming a total of around 8MWh per year .... that's about 18x the consumption of the 50" TVs I'm currently watching if it was on all year, or a couple of small computer servers on 24x7x365 in addition to average consumption.

With that kind of consumption & no real clue where it's going, I'd suggest investing around £30 in a whole house energy monitor & an additional £tenner in a single plug version and try to trace down where your demand is ... if you're currently paying around £900/year for electricity imports the payback could be measured in days!

How is the inverter connected ... main consumer unit or separate unit with henley block? ... this may determine how your monitor can be connected or what type of monitor is best suitable.

You really do need to address the consumption issue before considering investing £significant in a battery solution ...

HTH
    Z

Inverter is connected to a MCB in the consumer unit. (So I cant amp-clamp the consumer unit to test consumption, I would need to clamp every breaker - or solar + master then subtract I guess)...

The computers I have were not built low-spec, one was just replaced. They should be ~50-200W each (2x). My televisions are all older ones so about 180-190w jobbies (CCFL LCD). The kids burn a lot of power on their gadgets.

Computer goes to sleep after ~15 mins. Replacing the TV's should cut the On-Consumption from 190w each down to ~110w.
    One kid in College, the other about to start, so soon I'll get rid of the big power users ;P...

We are a Gadget'y household and that doesn't help when it comes to power usage. Several Laptops, Router, Access Point, two switches, VoIP Hardware and all that jazz. Fridge, Oven, Hob, Washer, Dryer are all good on energy usage (Granted, Fridge is quite old so it might not be compared to newer stuff). Forgot to add in the Electric Shower too.

I did add it all up a few years ago and it's not far off of what it should be considering what we have on, but your correct in that it would be good to see exactly what's using what.
  • jcontest
    jcontest Posts: 223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 April 2019 at 11:37PM
    Lincolnshire is south of the border, so doubt such a hybrid panel option or the link is of any real interest at the moment!

Laugh, I didn't even see the signature lines at all!
    Solar PV-T Panels are great I think, Wish I had some ;(...
  • JKenH
    JKenH Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Hi

He's already got a large multi-orientation array & proportional diversion for DHW ... and Lincolnshire is south of the border, so doubt such a hybrid panel option or the link is of any real interest at the moment!

We don't use PV for DHW but have a large solar thermal setup which normally provides all of our water heating from around now through to late autumn ... we likely used our last gas for space heating or DHW this season about three weeks ago ... :cool:

HTH
    Z

I never really considered solar thermal for the simple reason it seemed ‘old tech’. Solar PV provides most of our hot water via the IBoost (another 9 kwh yesterday) and other than the odd half hour boost in the morning after a couple of successive dull days we are now getting by nicely with that. In December and January our E7 usage was exactly 6 kwh/day which dropped to 3kwh in February and March and is now 2kwh (effectively baseload and breakfast). Our DHW therefore cost us about £20 in the two worst months and should be about £30 for the year as a whole.

At the beginning of February we installed our first ASHP and a second goes in this week so next winter we will be faced with the choice between using our limited solar PV to drive the ASHPs or the IBoost. That is the reason I was so keen to squeeze some extra panels on to the south facing garage roof. I don't think solar thermal would be an option on that roof as we did a loft conversion and there is nowhere to run any pipes.

Just out of interest, what is the cost of a solar thermal installation and would it be economic for just a couple of months of the year?
    Northern Lincolnshire. 7.8 kWp system, (4.2 kw west facing panels , 3.6 kw east facing), Solis inverters, Solar IBoost water heater, Mitsubishi SRK35ZS-S and SRK20ZS-S Wall Mounted Inverter Heat Pumps, ex Nissan Leaf owner)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Yea, I did say that it's a little more complicated than that.
    The matching process will be difficult. I have no idea how much I export, I know how much I import, and I know how much I produce. How do you measure your "consumption"?

Hiya, regarding consumption, that was an easy guess, going back, based on pre-PV consumption of around 7.5kWh summer months, 8.5 Spring/Autumn, and 9.5 Winter. So simply compare your new import to old, and you have your consumption and export.

But for the last two years I've been able to monitor export accurately* thanks to a new SolarEdge HD Wave inverter. With import, export and generation, you can quickly calculate consumption.

*The SolarEdge system gives an exact match on import to my import meter, so I assume, the export figure will be similarly accurate.

Some charging systems are a lot smarter than others. Some are able to take your expected consumption, expected weather conditions, and calculate just how much to charge the battery on the low-rate (econ-7) to make sure you get through the next day with minimal wastage. So I cant say it's simple, but at the same time you cant sell this idea as something that only a tenured math professor would be able to work out.

Hiya. A small, or large battery will reduce my 1,500kWh import down to 600kWh. The figure comes out the same since, as explained, I can only store about 2.5kWh's in the summer due to low import, and about the same in the winter due to low generation. Smart charging makes not a jot of difference to this as they are immovable, brick wall, obstructions.

I don't consider E7 in any of my battery calculations yet, as the leccy price + battery usage cost (cost/life cycle kWh's) makes it more expensive than import.

The statement that someone can consume 80-90% of their production is really something that cant be denied. To say that someone could efficiently calculate the exact battery you need to match Solar + Wind + Econ7 for Winter and Summer along with EV Charging would just be wrong, and I am not trying to say or imply that.

I agree that the statement that "someone can consume 80-90% of their production is really something that cant be denied." can't be denied, but that is more a specific 'someone' not an average 'someone'.

So if I was you, (and depending on how accurate your "consumption" value is) I would personally opt for something near that 15kW capacity. Your "consumption" value would also need to be separated into Econ7 times and Peak times to work out the size of the system. The key to maximizing profit would be down to you not charging the system too much during the night during the summer, and not too little during the night in the winter, and I would probably even work off of a 3-4 day usage cycle. (UK weather and all that).

If I was me, I would go for about 4-5kWh* not 15kWh, as the carefully calculated impact on my import and savings comes out pretty much the same, for a much smaller battery cost.

Again, at this point in time E7 is not a factor as that results in leccy unit costs higher than before after including battery usage costs.

Not sure why the summer nighttime charging needs to be minimised when as explained, no import would be needed (small, medium or large battery).

*To make better use of ASHP, and future proof for an EV, I would actually consider a much larger battery in the future as costs come down. But for now 2/3rds of the battery (and cost) would be of no benefit.

Dont get me wrong, I get your point.
    You make too much in 1 day to use over the next few days, so it's wasted. I am a little surprised your yearly import is only 1,500. My meter shows I import 5,600+ a year (gas hot water, one gas fireplace). But we had (and will probably get another soon'ish) a EV, so for me it's dead easy to consume everything, for you it's not. I agree it's complicated. I would probably even say that your PV system was too large for your consumption, but the FIT payments really pushed us (and probably you?) to buy it also as a investment option and not to just fit exactly what you need.

1,500kWh doesn't seem low to me at all. My consumption was approx 3,000kWh before PV, a slightly lower than average (then ~3,600kWh) figure. It then went down a bit, but with the addition of a small ASHP has now gone back up to 3,000kWh, not far off the current UK average.

I'd think, assume, that many or most PV'ers with decent sized systems have reduced their import to 1,500kWh or better.

Not sure why you think my PV system is too large. The fixed costs of PV are very high, so limiting the amount of panels is a false economy. What I generate, be it offset or export reduces national FF generation by approx 4,900kWh pa (4,500kWh generation plus reduced distribution losses of 8%), or approx 9,800kWh of gas burnt (plus extracted and transported).

I was an early adopter, but have over the last 7yrs or so helped calculate costs and figures for 100's of people on here, and at no time did going small ever make sense financially, either for the individual nor the environment.

I don't think most people would have their exact export/import values to work out the most cost effective solution. SMETS2 could help, but that data is going to be locked away from us regular users ;(....

They will have exact import values (well within the 1% tolerance allowed for import meters), and again, whilst exact export and therefore consumption figures may not be possible, a reasonable calculated guesstimate is simple. Also, if you refer back to threads over the last decade, you will see myself, Z and others suggesting folk asking about PV, make notes of their import (if they don't already) for later comparison.

I have no real problem with what you are saying, it seems very helpful and informative, but please don't judge me, and don't confuse your assumptions with facts. At this point in time, with battery costs high, and warranties relatively short (v's payback periods), the economics are weak, and therefore whilst you don't need to be a tenured maths professor, I'm certainly not, you do need to take a somewhat deeper dive than you have as there is far more to consider - considerations that have been well detailed on this thread over the years.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pile-o-stone
    pile-o-stone Posts: 396 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2019 at 9:26AM
    JKenH wrote: »
    I never really considered solar thermal for the simple reason it seemed ‘old tech’. Solar PV provides most of our hot water via the IBoost

I considered solar thermal when I bought our house, and even went as far as buying a thermal store with a solar loop in the bottom for thermal. I then read a lot of forums posts on various forums along the lines of "Solar thermal is dead, fit PV instead".

The gist was that you're better off using the space on your roof for PV as the equipment is cheaper and more reliable (no pressure leaks, stagnation worries, etc.) and more cost effective. Mainly because once solar thermal fills your tank, it stops working, whereas solar PV continues to provide electricity.

I ended up going for PV and an iboost+ which supplies excess solar to the two immersion heaters in the tank. From what I read on Navitron, which has a dedicated board for solar thermal, this was the correct choice as there are often posts about solar thermal leaks and issues. Easy to fix for the enthusiasts on there but for us mere mortals, I much prefer a system that just works and I don't think about it anymore except when I have a free hot shower. :)
    5.18 kWp PV systems (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
    Solar iBoost+ to two immersion heaters on 300L thermal store.
    Vegan household with 100% composted food waste
    Mini orchard planted and vegetable allotment created.
  • zeupater
    JKenH wrote: »
    I never really considered solar thermal for the simple reason it seemed ‘old tech’. Solar PV provides most of our hot water via the IBoost (another 9 kwh yesterday) and other than the odd half hour boost in the morning after a couple of successive dull days we are now getting by nicely with that. In December and January our E7 usage was exactly 6 kwh/day which dropped to 3kwh in February and March and is now 2kwh (effectively baseload and breakfast). Our DHW therefore cost us about £20 in the two worst months and should be about £30 for the year as a whole.

At the beginning of February we installed our first ASHP and a second goes in this week so next winter we will be faced with the choice between using our limited solar PV to drive the ASHPs or the IBoost. That is the reason I was so keen to squeeze some extra panels on to the south facing garage roof. I don't think solar thermal would be an option on that roof as we did a loft conversion and there is nowhere to run any pipes.

Just out of interest, what is the cost of a solar thermal installation and would it be economic for just a couple of months of the year?
    Hi

Unless you have space constraints on the roof or are willing/able to DIY install you'll probably find that solar thermal has been an uneconomical option compared to falling PV prices for some time, this being heavily skewed by the FiT scheme support.

Access to RHI but not FiT may change this on a short term basis, but we'd need to see which direction the removal of the incentive to exclusively use registered MCS installers as opposed to any suitably qualified electrical contractor drives PV prices. On a like for like basis (kWh.e vs kWh.t) the cost of installed solar thermal with RHI support would roughly equate to PV without support although when looking at typical PV installs any export payments swing the balance.

Having said that, the space issue is quite important ... a 'standard' size roof will always be more useful if it can be used for generation & heat collection and the thermal system is far more efficient in terms of energy/sqm than PV.

Regarding the hybrid panels raised earlier ... I gave these some thought a few years ago & couldn't see how they could divert high enough temperatures to DHW without either decreasing the efficiency of the PV generation through insulating a module (which would be essential for the majority of the year), or requiring the majority of the DHW heating to be performed by PV generation proportional diversion ... our PV panels are currently around 30C, but the bottom of our DHW cylinder is higher so uninsulated hybrid panels wouldn't be helping at all, whilst later today insulated hybrid units would need to be operating at around 70C(+) to raise the stored water temperature to reasonable levels without using electricity ...

HTH
    Z
    B)
  • zeupater
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    ... 1,500kWh doesn't seem low to me at all. My consumption was approx 3,000kWh before PV, a slightly lower than average (then ~3,600kWh) figure. It then went down a bit, but with the addition of a small ASHP has now gone back up to 3,000kWh, not far off the current UK average.

I'd think, assume, that many or most PV'ers with decent sized systems have reduced their import to 1,500kWh or better ...
    Hi

Rolling 12months electricity imports to midnight Sunday here was 1192.3kWh so I tend to agree!

HTH
    Z
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure