Overpayment by employer

I am a reservist currently on a six month mobilisation. So far, so good. There were no issues with the initial mobilisation other than the employer wanting me back as soon as possible, it's nice to be wanted.

However, contrary to the employers own guidelines, they have continued to pay me. I have been placing the money in a savings account and have attempted to contact them on a number of occasions, I have copies of my emails and texts.

They have not returned any messages and continue to pay me.

The thorny part is I am signed up to a deductible nursery scheme which saves me tax.

I am going to continue to try and contact them but my question is what happens to the at source deductible nursery credits. Am I liable to repay them as well?

Comments

• DevCoder
    DevCoder Posts: 3,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Whilst emails and texts are considered acceptable, is there any way you can write to them?

sorry I cant answer your at source tax question, Im not well versed enough in tax law for that :/
  • Hi Grum7630

I've moved your post to the Employment board where hopefully someone can help as the CAB board is now closed to new questions I'm afraid.

MSE Wendy
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • SarEl
    SarEl Posts: 5,683 Forumite
    Grum7630 wrote: »

I am going to continue to try and contact them but my question is what happens to the at source deductible nursery credits. Am I liable to repay them as well?

Very simply, the answer is yes. These are not "nursery" - they are pay for which you get tax benefits. So the fundamental matter is that they are pay. And since you should not be being paid.... You really do need to get this sorted as it isn't about just the money they have sent you - it is going to complicate your tax situation and all sorts.
  • Hi

wondering if someone can help.

my partner has been made redundant, she was made redundant while being off on maternity leave,

My Partner was being paid SMP she always planned on going back to work after 20 weeks. she was made redundant 1 day after the 20 weeks was up then had to return to work for 1 week notice period.

we have received her last pay slip which they have paid her for the balance of 19 weeks SMP in one lump sum, one week after she left the company she has started a new job.

my questions are

1) why would her old company have paid her the balance of her SMP 19 weeks in a lump sum, when she was never been going to take it and was supposed to be returning to work after 20 weeks.

2) now that she has started a new job at a new company will she have to pay back these "overpayment" of SMP? if so who would claim this back off us? her previous company or the government?

any help would be most appreciated

p.s we have not spent this money and do not intend on until this is resolved
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi

wondering if someone can help.

my partner has been made redundant, she was made redundant while being off on maternity leave,

My Partner was being paid SMP she always planned on going back to work after 20 weeks. she was made redundant 1 day after the 20 weeks was up then had to return to work for 1 week notice period.

we have received her last pay slip which they have paid her for the balance of 19 weeks SMP in one lump sum, one week after she left the company she has started a new job.

my questions are

1) why would her old company have paid her the balance of her SMP 19 weeks in a lump sum, when she was never been going to take it and was supposed to be returning to work after 20 weeks.

2) now that she has started a new job at a new company will she have to pay back these "overpayment" of SMP? if so who would claim this back off us? her previous company or the government?

any help would be most appreciated

p.s we have not spent this money and do not intend on until this is resolved

Please start a new thread of your own with a suitable title so that people will have a better idea whether they can help you or not.
  • Hi all,

I really hope someone can give me some advice.

My previous employer has sent me a letter today stating they have overpaid me and wish to recoup the funds. It transpires that since i left the company in April they have continued to pay my wages (I didnt realise as i am careful with my money and know how much i can spend each month. I have now checked my bank and they are correct but the figure they quote is significantly higher to the amount paid into my bank account so assume that this figure also includes Tax, N.I etc.

My question is.....do i have to pay back the full requested amount or just the amount i paid directly into my account? (Should i ask them to go to the tax man to get the money back they have paid them?) I can cover the amount paid directly into my account as this has not been touched but i can not afford to cover the rest of the funds requested and as this wasn't my fault i feel annoyed that due to their ineptitude they want me to go into my overdraft
  • DandelionPatrol
    DandelionPatrol Posts: 1,313 Forumite
    Maximas wrote: »
    Hi all,

My previous employer has sent me a letter today stating they have overpaid me and wish to recoup the funds. It transpires that since i left the company in April they have continued to pay my wages (I didnt realise as i am careful with my money and know how much i can spend each month. I have now checked my bank and they are correct but the figure they quote is significantly higher to the amount paid into my bank account so assume that this figure also includes Tax, N.I etc.

My question is.....do i have to pay back the full requested amount or just the amount i paid directly into my account? (Should i ask them to go to the tax man to get the money back they have paid them?) I can cover the amount paid directly into my account as this has not been touched but i can not afford to cover the rest of the funds requested and as this wasn't my fault i feel annoyed that due to their ineptitude they want me to go into my overdraft
    Please start a new thread of your own so that no one wastes time reading questions from 2012 and 2014.
  • I-W
    I-W Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Maximas wrote: »
    Hi all,

You are only liable to repay your former employer the amount they actually paid you. Have you contacted them and confirmed with them the amount they paid into your account? If they made a mistake in the first place overpaying you, they might well of made a second mistake in the amount.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure