Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 4th Jan 07, 7:31 AM
    • 17,979Posts
    • 40,001Thanks
    Glad
    Welcome to the WALES board
    • 4th Jan 07, 7:31 AM
    Welcome to the WALES board 4th Jan 07 at 7:31 AM
    ...welcome all and especially any new visitors linking from the email

don't forget to look at the main site and Martin's articles here

and the rest of the chat forum here
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Page 1
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Jan 09, 4:17 PM
    • 27,141 Posts
    • 71,284 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 9th Jan 09, 4:17 PM
    • 9th Jan 09, 4:17 PM
    Hello, Glad. Daft as I am I always look out for other Taffs in The MoneySavers' Arms. I did post a question on 'where are you in Wales". No answer yet, but can someone tell me why are Llanelli-ites called Turks?

My great-grandfather was a Swansea Jack, who moved to The Rhondda, but I've never heard of Llanelli Turks before that thread.

Pol
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • scarletsladyintheparc
    • By scarletsladyintheparc 11th Jan 09, 1:00 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    scarletsladyintheparc
    • 11th Jan 09, 1:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 09, 1:00 PM
    Hi there Polly
    I have gone into the thread and posted an answer for you, hope it makes sense to you..............scarletslady.
  • ksl44
    • 19th Mar 09, 12:51 AM
    • 19th Mar 09, 12:51 AM
    as for swansea jacks, im ashamed to admit that despite living in swansea all my life i still dont know where this term comes from!!
    any info??
    thanks! xx
  • Rhian x
    • 24th Apr 09, 10:14 PM
    • 24th Apr 09, 10:14 PM
    Apparently Swansea Jack was a dog made famous years ago by rescuing some 27 people from Swansea harbour / River Tawe after hearing their cries for help. Swansea Jack was awarded cups and medals for his efforts!!!

Hope this helps

R x
    Wins
    January - Family ticket to Holiday On Ice, Face Wash
    December - Tickets to X-Factor Final Party In Birmingham, Nokia 5310 Mobile Phone, Face Cream
    November - Thomas The Tank Wooden Train Set, Spiderman Dressing-up Costume
    • di3004
    • By di3004 21st May 09, 12:10 AM
    • 42,528 Posts
    • 56,679 Thanks
    di3004
    • 21st May 09, 12:10 AM
    • 21st May 09, 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone

I am from Torfaen also known as Gwent or Monmouthshire, in South Wales.

Good to meet you.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di"
    • WELSH-DRAGON
    • By WELSH-DRAGON 6th Aug 09, 6:14 PM
    • 5,556 Posts
    • 6,850 Thanks
    WELSH-DRAGON
    • 6th Aug 09, 6:14 PM
    • 6th Aug 09, 6:14 PM
    hiya I'm from Barry !

Welshy x
    I am the only Voucher Queen in my village LOL
  • Ladybirds
    • 12th May 11, 8:14 AM
    • 12th May 11, 8:14 AM
    as for swansea jacks, im ashamed to admit that despite living in swansea all my life i still dont know where this term comes from!!
    any info??
    thanks! xx
    Originally posted by ksl44
    Well shame onn you LOL. There are many theories. the most famous is about the dog who saved a mans life when he fell into the docks in Swansea. The dog jumped in and brought the man to safety.
    There used to be a pub near the quadrant called the swansea jack with a picture of the dog on the sign outside. (not sure if its still there)
    Others claim that the derivation is from the nickname given to Swansea's sailors, who had a reputation as skilled and dependable mariners.
    Another theory is that the coal miners of nearby coalfields called the miners from Swansea "Jacks" because their lunch-boxes were uniquely made of Swansea tin and called Jacks

So I leave it up to you to decide which story you want to run with
  • Ladybirds
    • 12th May 11, 8:19 AM
    • 12th May 11, 8:19 AM
    Hello, Glad. Daft as I am I always look out for other Taffs in The MoneySavers' Arms. I did post a question on 'where are you in Wales". No answer yet, but can someone tell me why are Llanelli-ites called Turks?

My great-grandfather was a Swansea Jack, who moved to The Rhondda, but I've never heard of Llanelli Turks before that thread.

Pol
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Lots of Turkish POWs were put to work in Llanelli docks and since then they were known as the Llanelli Turks the name has stuck and now all the people in Llanelli are nicknamed Turks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,367Posts Today

5,170Users online

Martin's Twitter