Giving up/ Cutting Down Alcohol Thread Part 16

Comments

• cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,279 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    shaggydoo wrote: »
    Love a Scandi Noir too and adore West Wing. We own the West Wing box set on dvd.....it's great to have a rewatch every now and again.We might have missed it but there hasn't really been a good Scandi Noir for awhile now. We used to enjoy Spin - the French political drama - too.

"Follow the Money" on BBC Four was good, though the third series was pretty dark, even for a Scandi Noir - that was earlier this year. There's a lot of Scandi and other noir on Walter Presents, though I haven't really looked there for a while! Some people spoke highly of "Those Who Kill", which was on BBC Four not so long ago, but it was too dark for me, I stopped watching.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    18/23 AFDs today
  • Evening all 19/20 and 3/5 SNC
    :money: I will never be rich but I'm happy :rotfl:
  • No drinking here again even though I went to a gig today :)

2/3 for the SNC and 9/14 please Shaggy. Only 5 more until another cat in the moon!

Maman,

I always find it easier after dinner too. Some nights it's the boredom of it that gets to me. Plus when I drink it seems to give me a veneer of fake energy so I'm often feeling tired and flat and go to bed earlier if I'm sober. I sometimes find it hard to get to sleep when I'm AF, my skin feels itchy on sober nights. If I drink it's more that I wake and then can't get back to sleep.

Good night everyone.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    19/23 AFDs today
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    10/12 for today please Shaggy
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,279 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 19/21 for me today thanks. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    I can empathise with some of what you posted wbf. It's definitely easier to get to sleep when I've had a drink and , like you, the drugged sleep doesn't last very long and then I wake up:(. My problem is that I enjoy having a drink while I'm prepping dinner ( I like to cook with wine, sometimes I put it in the food;)). I've got past that on most weekdays, especially when we eat it a bit earlier if one of us is out for the evening. Weekends we don't eat until about 8 p.m. so it's harder.

Today might be my last AF for November. We're out for a meal tomorrow evening and then after the weekend we're off to Amsterdam until next Thursday. I won't drink to excess but I know we'll enjoy sharing a bottle over dinner.

11/10 AFDS please Shaggy.
  • marahouti
    marahouti Posts: 1,580 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Another one who finds it easier after dinner. When I decided that I was serious about reducing my drinking I identified that wine with dinner was a big trigger for me. I would often start drinking while preparing dinner, drink with my meal and then just carry on the whole evening :o. I agreed with my husband that, unless we had guests, we would drink water with our meal; it works well for me and I bypass the Ping it's Wine O'Clock feeling (usually).
    Unfortunately it has had an unwelcome unintended consequence. My husband is a smoker as well as a drinker and has his 'man cave' where he goes to smoke. It used to be that we had quite leisurely meals chatting about our days then he would go for his after dinner smoke and after that we would usually watch something that we could both agree on (with him popping in and out) accompanied by lots of wine or sometimes watch different things in different rooms. These days we zip through dinner and he then decamps to man cave for the evening with his wine, baccy and new (large) tv. I have said that I don't mind if he drinks wine when I am not but actually I think he prefers the new routine :(.
  • marahouti
    marahouti Posts: 1,580 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Sorry for the long post above. Back to business.
    19/21 and 3/5 SNC please Shaggy. Thank you. X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport