Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 29th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    • 9,557Posts
    • 73,451Thanks
    apple muncher
    NST: November 2019
    • 29th Oct 19, 11:45 AM
    NST: November 2019 29th Oct 19 at 11:45 AM
    NST: November 2019

Ninja Saving Turtles: YESvember

It is not NOvember, it is YESvember

It is the last month of autumn, but the beginning of a new adventure. It is time to take risks and to do the unexpected. We look towards our own adventures, not being side-tracked by what others may (or may not) think of us. We are simplifying our lives so that we can fly freely. (Now there’s a thought: flying turtles…)

It is a month when we are bombarded by advertising that tells us that we need to continuously spend more and more, to acquire more and more, in order to be better people. DO NOT BELIEVE THE LIES. Work out what you truly need and learn to separate your needs from your wants.

November is often the time when we want to hunker down, treat ourselves, reward ourselves, eat comfort food... But not the Turtles! We are here to bust our debts, hit our targets, reach out to others, and support each other all the time.

Breathe deep and reflect. What really matters? What brings you joy? Now take a few minutes, and without editing, write down everything that matters in your life. Write fast. List everything. Review your list tomorrow morning.

YESvember rules: (But remember – only YOU are in charge of YOU)

Yes:

-the challenge runs from 1st to 30th November 2019.

-set your budgets for everything by planning ahead. Look at what the month ahead holds – appointments, meeting, kids’ activities, (ir)regular events. And start to plan what you will need for Cmas. And then simplify it: reduce the amount and variety of food you get in; reduce the amount of presents you ‘have’ to give; reduce the amount you spend on presents.

-pay to your debt or savings first. You will then live off the rest, as per your budget. You will not wait and see how much is left at the end. Make do, mend, or do without.

-achieve at least 15 NSD – that means you can spend on alternate days (generous, huh?). An NSD will NOT be spoiled by purchasing Yellow Sticker / reduced items only, or medication, fuel or paying for regular children’s activities (when planned in advance and the monies put aside in an envelope).

-avoid any and every chain coffee shop and vending machine and corner shop. Support your local coffee shops and traders.

-take your lunch to work every single working day. Plan and cook a larger evening meal so you have leftovers to take with you.

-remove 60 items from your house (2 per day) – recycle them, give them to charity, pass on to a friend… Sorry but you cannot remove children…

-use up your toiletries and household cleaners before buying any more.

-go on 2 outings. Yep, just 2. Choose wisely. Or go on one and save one to carry over for December..

-tread lightly on our planet and get out there and enjoy fresh air every day: breathe it in slowly and deeply and energise your body.

-donate £5 or time to a charity you support. Foodbanks are especially in need at this time of year. Look at http://www.trusselltrust.org/

-come on here every day and post three things you are grateful for. Don’t wait until the 4th Thursday in November to give thanks. Make every day a Thanksgiving day.

-reach out to help other people. Don't try to CHANGE people, just LOVE them. LOVE is what changes people.

-start 1 or 2 new habits this month, ones that are simple and will make you feel better (eg: drink a glass of water on waking, practise meditation…)

Who is with me? Post your reply below and we'll start our adventure on Friday.
    NST Dec fun #1; NSD 1/15; Ex 1/21; remove bagfuls (47)

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
Page 22
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th Nov 19, 8:02 PM
    • 9,557 Posts
    • 73,451 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for a dry day, for cheerful kiddies, for a good meeting, for 85% choc, for dd coping with us forgetting to send her swimming with a towel! (She used her school jumper instead!), for a friend bringing me in a couple of books, for my neighbour being up and about after being quite poorly, for a chat with my sister.

Mortgage £15,451 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate???
    • borollan
    • By borollan 18th Nov 19, 8:11 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    borollan
    Grateful for 3 things - youngest on the mend, a dry day, gin and tonic yoghurts
    15 NSDS 7/15
    Remove 60 Items - 72/60
    Outings - not yet
    Use up Toiletries and Condiments - yes
    Budget - yes, just
    Pay to Debts/Savings first - yes
    Avoid Coffee Shops / vending - yes
    Lunch to Work - retired but will be taking packed lunch on days out
    Tread lightly - robin may be nesting
    Donate - yes
    Reach out - to neighbour
    New Habit/ Things to do - crochet, running out of yarn #dilemma
    Stop Buying **** We Don't Need
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th Nov 19, 9:07 PM
    • 3,460 Posts
    • 35,319 Thanks
    XSpender
    Sending healing thoughts to those who are unwell or have relatives who are.

Budget - some positive adjustments to the budget 2 payments budgeted for nov will actually be payable in dec, used an existing picture above the fireplace instead of buying a new mirror so saved a spend from the living room refurb budget

Pay to Debts/Savings first couple more DDs gone out

15 NSDS 0/15 I seem to be doing my own challenge of spending every day

Avoid Coffee Shops - bonfire night and coffee with friend were my 2 outings.

Lunch to Work - Aiming for 20 days for DH 6/20 I think, lost count

Remove 60 Items - 8/60 nothing extra removed but found something else to sell

Use up Toiletries and Condiments nothing extra used up

Daily Fresh Air Walked the dog, watched rugby in the rain

Donate £5 - poppy appeal and shoe box donations done. CIN donation. I would like to add a couple more bits to my food bank donation before I drop it off

Daily Gratitude - 1) finally finding gf panettone in a Sainsbury’s in Glasgow (I bought 3 ) 2) DS winning man of the match for the 2nd week running 3) catch up telly - currently working my way through killing eve, or I will be when I get home

Help others, Love People Invited another family to join us at a Christmas event

New Habits - Not keeping up with the count on these very well

1) Eat 3 proper meals each day 12/30
    2) Drink 2 glasses of plain water each day 11/30
    3) Eat a minimum of 3 F&V each day 4/30
    4) Complete 2 items off my to do list each day 6/30
    • greent
    • By greent 18th Nov 19, 9:11 PM
    • 8,276 Posts
    • 84,044 Thanks
    greent
    Toni'sfriend - glad to hear about sil

mothernerd - glad your mum is feeling better

15 NSD 5

Avoid every chain coffee shop etc. Support local shops and traders.- nothing today

Remove 60 items from your house - 243/60

Use up your toiletries and household cleaners before buying any more. - yep

Go on 2 outings - 2 done so far but 1 was free bar parking of 1.10

Donate £5 or time to charity - lots of 'things' donated to various places. Money donated to poppy appeal, CIN, Rotary organisation & Gloucester Cathedral. Have some things ready to send with DS2 to school for food bank as they are running a collection at the end of this month

Come on here every day and post 3 things you are grateful for. - good dentist appt, having enough, a warm house

Start 1 or 2 new habits this month, ones that are simple and will make you feel better - fewer cups of tea and min 4 f&v per day - both good today
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £5207/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £626.25/£500
    • facethemusic
    • By facethemusic 18th Nov 19, 10:11 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    facethemusic
    Today is NSD 11/15- I can do this for sure! Added another item to the CD box, so that's 50/60! Also looks like an achievable target. Dog walked so fresh air achieved- it was bracing (or just very very cold).
    Grateful today for a cosy hat, my parents making dinner for DD and I, and a stress free day at work.
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 18th Nov 19, 10:49 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 14,255 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone

Just pressed the wrong button and post disappeared, so this one is going to be much shorter!

Been shopping today and everything came out of budgets.

Grateful for:

1. Free coffee
    2. keeping to budgets
    3. Xmas shopping nearly all done.

Hope everyone is keeping well, safe and warm

Nannyg
    Frugal challenge 2019 - starting again.
    Sealed pot 13 no.31
    Emergency fund 190.41/1000
    • misstara
    • By misstara 18th Nov 19, 11:24 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 23,711 Thanks
    misstara
    Budget - no spends today except for some stuff for work and I'll get the money back from petty cash tomorrow.

NSDs - now on 8/15.

Lunch to work - took soup and oatcakes.

Items removed - 32/60, another perfume bottle, broken keyring, big bag of recycling into the bin to get picked up tomorrow and a mug with a broken handle.

Use up - 1 hand cream now used up, 3 to go.

Outings - have been to the fireworks and met friends for coffee and cake.

Daily fresh air - nothing today

Gratitudes - heated windscreen in my car, leftover pizza for tea, my OH.

New habits - to do an average of 10,000 steps each day so 300,000 over the course of the month, 154,765/300,000. Really need to up my steps if I'm going to make this target.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £560.41 (29.7% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 25/60
    Emergency fund - £100/£1000. Car fund - £100/£1000.
    • dolly84
    • By dolly84 19th Nov 19, 9:57 AM
    • 4,897 Posts
    • 45,198 Thanks
    dolly84
    Icy here this morning. I remembered this morning that I had bought one of those silver windscreen covers from the tip reuse shop for £1 back in Spring, it was a brand new one so I was very pleased with that, I have found where I stashed it and will be putting it on the car tonight.

Cycled yesterday in the sunshine and am hoping to go again today.

DH has joined a new BP scheme, he used to collect nectar points when he filled up but now he can convert points to high street vouchers, he converted his points yesterday into £20 of M&S vouchers and should have another £10 before Christmas. The best thing is it is work fuel so we aren't paying anything out at all. We also have a M&S cc which we use and pay straight off just to get the points, we have £19 in vouchers from that so next month we should have nearly £50 and we are going to use it for some fancy Christmas food.

Making a spag bol for tea today, I did enough veg last night to leave some for my lunch today so I will just do 2 veggie sausages to go with it.

I need to venture into the loft soon to find my knee length socks, I must have stashed them all away and I need them now.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 19th Nov 19, 10:05 AM
    • 2,688 Posts
    • 24,976 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Good Morning Turtles!
    I am remortgaging. A perfectly simple process made ridiculously complicated by idiot banks, and pointless bureaucracy.
    So there (it also makes me grumpy - can you tell?)
    Cold again, did not need to scrape ice though as there was no ice, neither was their any fog.

Today will be a NSD - number 10! yay!
    Love and hugs to all with poorlies or recovering poorlies. Chin up everyone.
    Grateful for: Hot water bottles, Werewolves, Earl Grey tea, nobody being ill, knowing that I have thermals, even if I cannot find the flippin' things.
    MFW#65 5/16 £118,3 10/17£109,4 12/17 £108,85/18£106,9 6/18£105,9, 8/18£103,9 9/18£102,9 10/18£101,9 11/18£101,3 12/18£100,7 1/19 £99,999 1/3 £98,91/4 £98,5 1/5 £97,9 1/6 £97,5 1/8 £96,5 1/9 £95,9.1/10 £95,51/11£94,999.99L&C Referal code- https://referme.to/GNNHtJo
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 19th Nov 19, 11:41 AM
    • 2,985 Posts
    • 21,590 Thanks
    Calling14
    Apologies as usual missing over weekend, just have no patience using my tablet to check in.

Anyway up to 10/15 NSD
    DE- clutter 25/60 Charity bag to drop off at lunchtime.

Friday was a spendy day, new duvet ordered as mine is in bits.
    Saturday NSD. took kids to zoo was raining but a members talk held inside, which was a good call, animals brought out and could hold them. Great except for the cockroach. Plus a buffet! If I had known I wouldn't made lunch.
    Sunday - spending day, bought a lovely footstool which doubles as a toybox, Bread and few bits of food got
    Monday - Day off work, bought 2 tops as short of clothes for work and a new bra. Horrified I am increasing everywhere in size. Walk around lovely xmas markets in Chester, attacked by over friendly squirrels in the park and a walk by the river. Not a fan of shopping

Today - Diet proper starts today. Any top tips welcome .

Grateful for
    Lovely sunny day yesterday on my day off.
    Hair settling down eventually after awful haircut last month.
    Feeling brighter today than I have had over the weekend, combination of bad chest and feeling tad lonely.
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 Now Jan 2019 £3407/£5457

PAYDBX 2019 #16 £3407/5457 £2050 left
    EFund #9 £60/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge no 33 £1450/£2000
    Mortgage free Oct 2019

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 19th Nov 19, 3:45 PM
    • 2,349 Posts
    • 23,317 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    NSD No 13

Still incredibly cold here.

Haven't done a lot but I have managed to throw out some pots and pans which were way past their best. Next job is to clean out a kitchen cupboard that has lots of old cookware in it. It's one of those awkward ones right in a corner that you have to get down on your hands and knees and virtually climb into. Probably going to visit my sister in law tomorrow if all is well so might tackle that on Thursday.

Himself bought me some lilies the other day to cheer me up and they are opening up now. Look spectacular. I do love flowers. I think I might buy them more often as a treat.
    • nannygladys
    • By nannygladys 19th Nov 19, 6:00 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 14,255 Thanks
    nannygladys
    Hi everyone

Another sfd so another added to the total. Looking after youngest dgd for a few hours whilst mum volunteers, love doing it as she is a little character we didn't go out as it was too cold but had a good play with small dolls and things!!

Home now and had dinner, veggie stew again and Ive just put some butternut squash soup on for tomorrow. Out again tomorrow, but not for long, its too cold to hang round anywhere.

Grateful for:
    Warm houses
    Warm food
    And layers of clothing.

Nannyg
    Frugal challenge 2019 - starting again.
    Sealed pot 13 no.31
    Emergency fund 190.41/1000
    • ditty1234
    • By ditty1234 19th Nov 19, 6:20 PM
    • 380 Posts
    • 2,786 Thanks
    ditty1234
    Seems to have managed NSD yesterday and today, but am not sure what the total is. Did work cover today and am booked in for tomorrow - so the Christmas lights are on - for now.

It's insurance renewal time of the year. Having had a lot of 'car' dents in my EF I was unable to pay out my house insurance - so it now has to be monthly which I detest - it came in at £19 a month, but it also covers my DS in his uni house - so did not want to shave that one down right now. Car insurance with Tesc0 came in at £60 (760 a year) as totalled car in January 19, I knew it would go up - but that is steep. Found a quote with SAG4 for £45 + Deposit - so about £46 a month - so that pretty much just paid for house insurance. So not bad - considering they are charging more for credit du to my wonky credit history. If I manage to save up, I might try to change house insurance some time next year, primarily to change the renewal date.
    Budget - taking a bit of a beating - but am pulling through, and car insurance just came in under budget - my worst case scenario with car insurance was £800 - which was about what T*** had in mind.
    Fresh air - will walk dog now.
    Coffees ... no coffees out - did get an emergency £2.09 Service Station lunch on Saturday after work - as forgot to bring lunch.
    Grateful for cover work, an afternoon hour to sort out quotes, no further faffing about - energy bills are next, and for a long talk w friend on Sunday and a fun catchup walk w ds also on Sunday.
    Habits - had a good reason to scan online today.
    Paying attention to detail - I hope I have with insurance cover, but right now have ignored the fact that I should have cooked dinner. I think dinner is called - pasta w cheese n vege.
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/-£24.260 6% paid off - EF £1.08 Dec 2019
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 19th Nov 19, 7:06 PM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 34,260 Thanks
    mothernerd
    I am so slow today but I have a list and am working my way through it. Paper bin is out for collection tomorrow, green bin will have to wait. Big nasty job is cleaning out the drain which seems to have been overflowing. Pulled out a plastic bag I knew about and handfuls of gunk from the top but think there is a blockage further down.

Apparently bicarb and vinegar is less effective than washing up liquid and hot water so using Beloved's bath water in measured doses (my guesstimate of how much capacity the drain area has - it has a one brick high surround so roughly the size of a 9" or 10" square cake tin). It may take a while. I have had a quick look but not found the crowbar and can't remember if the grid will actually come out or if it's cemented in.

I took some books back to the library, picked 3 more (all large print) and printed the receipt so I know which books need to be returned by Monday. Checked the charity bin and it has been emptied so will get filling bags for that. Feeling guilty that I didn't make a big donation from my present money so doing what bits I can here and there (food bank, putting change in collection boxes, need to bake for the church fair).

Was going to go into town shopping but only went to little Arseda so a bit of a compromise shop but did get stuff for sandwiches so I can attempt a finishing off clean of the oven (major gunk removal last month).

I did not take my support bandage to mum's so my ankle is throbbing and some things have not moved on whilst I was away and some are worse. I am nearly through the washing mountain and have folded and hung up things where I could. Putting socks of the bathroom towel rail meant I could pair them off fairly easily (still odd ones hanging around).

If all else fails I shall complete the wrapping (some things arrived half an hour before left on Saturday so just made sure they were covered up) and there is still lots of sewing to do. Using lots of odds and ends of toiletries and cleaning stuff (as I come across them). Beloved used a bath bomb that I bought her last year - I unearthed it from the debris in their room.

Today I am grateful for a good sleep, food from the freezer and fun games - I have a new one with 'fiends' defeating slugs as I'm a bit stuck with my regular ones.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST Dec No 11 No Debt No mortgage
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Nov 19, 7:12 PM
    • 5,216 Posts
    • 46,692 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I am completely in hibernation mode - it seems to make no difference at all if I sleep 3 hours or 8 hours, I just feel rough the next day. Ah well. Either that or I'm about to get sick again. Hopefully not.
    Work has been busy and quite unpleasant so far this week. Kids are not behaving themselves, however if they're feeling as 'meh' as me then nobody can be surprised.
    Anyway, I've chalked up 2 more nsd's since I last reported in, but not today. I'm just back from the vet £119 lighter which makes me want to cry - there had better be complete extinction of the flea population in my house in a very short time.
    Glad to hear your mum is feeling a bit better mothernerd, and I hope you both continue onwards and upwards. And good news on your sil Toni'sfriend.
    NST December #2 NSD = 2
    I am honestly trying my best
    • greent
    • By greent 19th Nov 19, 7:19 PM
    • 8,276 Posts
    • 84,044 Thanks
    greent
    15 NSD 5

Avoid every chain coffee shop etc. Support local shops and traders.- nothing today

Remove 60 items from your house - 1 torn pair of Jean's to rg recycling - I do not need any more painting clothes 244/60

Use up your toiletries and household cleaners before buying any more. - yep

Go on 2 outings - 2 done so far but 1 was free bar parking of 1.10

Donate £5 or time to charity - lots of 'things' donated to various places. Money donated to poppy appeal, CIN, Rotary organisation & Gloucester Cathedral. Have some things ready to send with DS2 to school for food bank as they are running a collection at the end of this month

Come on here every day and post 3 things you are grateful for. - weight loss (whoop!), yummy food, getting 2 more xmas presents sorted

Start 1 or 2 new habits this month, ones that are simple and will make you feel better - fewer cups of tea and min 4 f&v per day - both good today 11 diff veg eaten
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £5207/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £626.25/£500
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th Nov 19, 8:01 PM
    • 9,557 Posts
    • 73,451 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Toni'sfriend - hope your sil recuperates well.

Today I am grateful for my bus app (caught 8 buses and did some walking when I saw the wait was too long to bother), for my counsellor, for warm clothes, for swimming with dd, for plenty of walking, for finding gf breadsticks in a sainz far far away, for our twinkly fairy lights, for dd's ever-improving ukulele playing.

• misstara
    • By misstara 19th Nov 19, 11:15 PM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 23,711 Thanks
    misstara
    Budget - no spends today.

NSDs - now on 9/15.

Lunch to work - On a late shift today so had lunch at home before I headed to work.

Items removed - 32/60.

Use up - 1 hand cream now used up, 3 to go.

Outings - have been to the fireworks and met friends for coffee and cake.

Daily fresh air - nothing today.

Gratitudes - heated windscreen in my car, productive shift at work, haggis, neeps and tatties for tea, coffee, hot water bottle.

New habits - to do an average of 10,000 steps each day so 300,000 over the course of the month, 159,687/300,000. Really need to up my steps if I'm going to make this target.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £560.41 (29.7% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 25/60
    Emergency fund - £100/£1000. Car fund - £100/£1000.
    • borollan
    • By borollan 20th Nov 19, 8:42 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 397 Thanks
    borollan
    Grateful for 3 things - a warm quilt, sunrise, my son
    15 NSDS 7/15
    Remove 60 Items - 72/60
    Outings - off to Bury Transport Museum
    Use up Toiletries and Condiments - yes
    Budget - yes, just
    Pay to Debts/Savings first - yes
    Avoid Coffee Shops / vending - yes
    Lunch to Work - retired but will be taking packed lunch on days out
    Tread lightly - robin may be nesting
    Donate - yes
    Reach out - yes
    New Habit/ Things to do - crochet, running out of yarn #dilemma
    Stop Buying **** We Don't Need
    • aimeemum
    • By aimeemum 20th Nov 19, 9:04 AM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,509 Thanks
    aimeemum
    #20 checking in

Budget - Good so far....fx as I'm not normally this good lol

NSDs - 7/15 - Not managed another NSD as bought the boys a treat for good parent's evening reports and some logs for the fire.

Lunch to work - Kids sent with their pack ups as normal. Hubby took sandwiches today.

Items removed - 22/60 - Nothing new removed but hoping to get a got out in the next few days.

Daily fresh air - Need to put all the rubbish from the garden into the bins today so that wlll take me outside for a while.

Gratitudes - Hubby being home (I actually slept the last 2 nights!) the lovely new jumper he brought back for me which is the warmest thing EVER! and the copious amounts of toblerone I've eaten the past couple of days!!

New habits - Routines still to be done today but not a lot to get done on that front. Want to give my kitchen a thorough doing this week but not sure if I have the energy
    DFBX19 #148 - 28/11/2019 - £3,256/£4,782 68% gone Total Debts cleared Oct 2018- Oct 2019 - £6,247
    November NST #20 - SPC-13 #136
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

2,744Users online

Martin's Twitter