Replace water cylinders, or fit combi boiler?

I've not long moved into a (large-ish) 3 bed house with central heating, two bathrooms, and 2 hot water cylinders. One of these has started leaking, and the coil in the other apparently looks dodgy :( The previous owner built a wall in front of them, so access is through a hatch that may need to be enlarged to fit a new one, and the tanks are a non-standard size to fit in the space. My current boiler is ~7 years old, and working ok.

I've had three plumbers round. It has been hard to get quotes, but it looks like it would be just over £3100 to replace the system with a Worcester Green Star 8000 Life 40KW combi boiler. I've been quoted around £900 per tank replaced by the first plumber to quote, though the other told me it might be more like £500 per tank (but I don't have a written quote yet).

What would you do? If it ends up over £1500 to replace the tanks, I might be as well to get a combi boiler installed - at least that would come with 10yrs parts and labour warranty and would save me a bit on my gas bills. Unless you think this would struggle to supply the house? If it's around £1k to replace the cylinders, I think this might make more sense though.

Any other suggestions? I'd prefer if the cylinders didn't need replacing, of course, but none of the plumbers thought they could be repaired. A 4th plumber declined to quote because of limited space to do a replacement (and also didn't think it could be repaired) - so he definitely wasn't touting for business!

Comments

• I'm not a plumber and do not have any expertise in the area, only personal experience. I'd keep a hot water tank - we've got a combi in our current house and I hate it. I greatly miss the gigantic hot water tank at the old house, and I hate the rubbish electric showers we have now. But that's just my preference.

Why are there 2 cylinders? Could you take down this wall in front of them and fit one bigger one instead?
  • Combis are not great for running baths - and certainly not two at a time, and smaller ones would struggle to supply two good showers simultaneously.

Generally not possible to repair cylinders - they're pretty thin copper and any attempt at working on them is likely to end in tears (both meanings).
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Typhoon2000
    Typhoon2000 Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You may want to see if you could fit a system boiler an invented cylinder. If you have garage the cylinder could go there to free up some space indoors.
  • I would go system boiler & unvented cylinder, however you need your pressure & flow rate checked to see if that's an option, also why are you going for the 8000 ? It's a brand new boiler to market & not tested in the field long term, apart from the fact that apart from the new facia it's just a cdi that's been around for years but you will be charged a premium for old tech
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Thanks for the replies! The 8000 boiler was just what the first plumber to quote suggested. I'll see what others suggest, though I'm finding it a pain to get anyone to send me a quote :(

We only have one bath in the house, and rarely use it. There are two showers - v seldom both used at once, but I am wondering how bad the water pressure would be in that case...

I don't know why there are two cylinders - the previous owner seems to have ended up with an unusual setup :( It's potentially to give more capacity when there's not space for one large cylinder. I wouldn't choose to start from here...and getting a single cylinder out in may be a better option.

Sorry to be slow replying - the email notification ended up in my spam folder.
  • I've now been quoted just over £1,000 to fit two replacement 36 by 18 indirect cylinders - by some way the cheapest quote I've had for this work. I'll get another quote or two for fitting a combi boiler, by way of caparison. Do you think it would still be worth getting quoted for a system boiler, too?
  • Still trying to get a couple of quotes for comparison :( One stupid question - how do I check which of the two water cylinders has already been drained? Should it sound hollow when I tap it? Thanks!
  • hey
    I had a full heating system installed when i bought our house. We got a vaillant combi with a megaflow cylinder. Cant fault it.

Only have the cylinder on for 30 mins in morning and 30 in the evening. Hot hot hot water all the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure