Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 2nd Jul 19, 3:53 PM
    • 1,997Posts
    • 598Thanks
    rich_shot2003
    Budgeting loan delays.
    • 2nd Jul 19, 3:53 PM
    Budgeting loan delays. 2nd Jul 19 at 3:53 PM
    After sending in the 1st form I had to sign to accept loan after almost 3 weeks they have not got it yet there seems to be delays with them getting these forms back.

So who is to blame Royal mail or DWP?

Has anyone else had to wait weeks to get there loan paid or had forms lost?
Page 1
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 2nd Jul 19, 4:53 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 2nd Jul 19, 4:53 PM
    • 2nd Jul 19, 4:53 PM
    Remember they will more than likely have backlogs as per usual and that you can wait anywhere up to 20 working days once they RECEIVE the completed form accepting the loan they have offered, which means anywhere up to four weeks.

"Allow 20 working days before phoning if you return your form by post (it may not have been processed before then)." Source gov.uk
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 2nd Jul 19, 5:33 PM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 2nd Jul 19, 5:33 PM
    • 2nd Jul 19, 5:33 PM
    After sending in the 1st form
    Originally posted by rich_shot2003
    For future reference you can now apply online. https://www.gov.uk/budgeting-help-benefits/how-to-apply

Last time i applied online, i received the form to sign about 7 days later. Then about 2 weeks for payment into my bank.
    • Nicky48
    • By Nicky48 6th Jul 19, 2:05 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicky48
    • 6th Jul 19, 2:05 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 2:05 PM
    Hi I'm having the same problem as you I sent my acceptance letter back on the 25th June not heard back so need to call Monday because its 14 days to see if they have it or get it sent out again. I'm hoping because it's for rent in advance.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 6th Jul 19, 3:39 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 6th Jul 19, 3:39 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 3:39 PM
    If you read the gov website it’s actually 20 working days after they receive the acceptance.

You sent it back 25th June. It would of only got to them maybe the week beginning 1st July as it goes through the processing centre first.

Then the 20 working days kicks in, so you have weeks to potentially go yet.
    • Nicky48
    • By Nicky48 6th Jul 19, 4:00 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicky48
    • 6th Jul 19, 4:00 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 4:00 PM
    I don't have weeks I've sent in the acceptance offer loan form which you have to send in within 14 days from the date on the letter 24 June. I've had a few loans from them.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Jul 19, 4:26 PM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 6th Jul 19, 4:26 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 4:26 PM
    I don't have weeks I've sent in the acceptance offer loan form which you have to send in within 14 days from the date on the letter 24 June. I've had a few loans from them.
    Originally posted by Nicky48
    That's only 9 working days and usually it takes longer than that because it takes 3-4 working days to go into your bank from the time it's paid to you. They wouldn't have received the form that quickly.
    • Nicky48
    • By Nicky48 6th Jul 19, 4:37 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicky48
    • 6th Jul 19, 4:37 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 4:37 PM
    My last loan I sent in my loan acceptance offer letter on the 4th June, I got a letter from dwp on the 13th June telling me when I will be paid and my money went in on the 18th June.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 6th Jul 19, 6:19 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    • 6th Jul 19, 6:19 PM
    • 6th Jul 19, 6:19 PM
    Yes no one is stating it doesn’t happen.

But the gov website states 20 working days from receiving the form.

That’s because sometimes it can take that long.

There’s no point you saying you don’t have weeks to wait, that’s not your decision.
    • Nicky48
    • By Nicky48 6th Jul 19, 6:40 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nicky48
    It's not 20 working days from the offer acceptance form, I already have been offered a loan so the decision has been made. Its 14 days so stop quoting the gov. UK website I have a letter saying 14 days to accept.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 6th Jul 19, 7:06 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Yes 14 days for you to return the form and accept.

That’s different to then receiving it and releasing the money.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 6th Jul 19, 7:11 PM
    • 2,249 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    Sncjw
    So you have had a loan recently and your applying for another one.

I would get yourself on debt free wannabe page to see where you can cut costs. Sounds like a start of a problem. Nip it in the bud before it gets too bad
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Jul 19, 7:30 PM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    poppy12345
    So you have had a loan recently and your applying for another one.

I would get yourself on debt free wannabe page to see where you can cut costs. Sounds like a start of a problem. Nip it in the bud before it gets too bad
    Originally posted by Sncjw
    who has? Not sure who your comment is aimed at.
    • Robbie64
    • By Robbie64 6th Jul 19, 8:27 PM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 836 Thanks
    Robbie64
    A friend of mine applied for a Budgeting Loan a few weeks ago, got back the agreement to sign, received a text to say the money would be in the bank... and nothing turned up. He phoned them up and upon checking they realised the funds hadn't been released. He receieved an apology and now has the money. But all this happened in the past few weeks.

I'm guessing it's a combination of staff shortages and a backlog of work. My friend said he also spent ages getting through to the Social Fund on the phone. Though that seems to be the norm for every part of the DWP at the moment. I'm not 100% sure where Budgeting Loans are dealt with now but until recently it was the DWP office in Wembley for my part of the country (I believe the other two Social Fund offices for the UK are / were in Chesterfield and Birmingham). Although there is no direct address in use any longer (it has to be sent via the Wolverhampton sort centre) the local JobCentre do or did have a direct line to the Social Fund office to fax through any documents including replacement forms.
    • pops07
    • By pops07 18th Nov 19, 11:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pops07
    Sorry about the necropost but I just wanted to add something. I applied for a loan on 2/09/19 and never received any correspondence bar the text to say they had received my application, and to wait 20 days before contacting them. After a month of waiting I tried to phone them multiple times but was unable to get through even after being on hold for 2 hours.

I had all but given up when on 5/11/19 the letter came through the door, so I signed it, and mailed it and sent it back 1st class to try and speed things. Its now 18/11/19 and my benefit day has been and gone and no sign of the loan. I don't really know what is taking so long, nor do I know how to resolve this as there is no way of getting through to them via the phone lines.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 18th Nov 19, 11:47 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Sorry about the necropost but I just wanted to add something. I applied for a loan on 2/09/19 and never received any correspondence bar the text to say they had received my application, and to wait 20 days before contacting them. After a month of waiting I tried to phone them multiple times but was unable to get through even after being on hold for 2 hours.

I had all but given up when on 5/11/19 the letter came through the door, so I signed it, and mailed it and sent it back 1st class to try and speed things. Its now 18/11/19 and my benefit day has been and gone and no sign of the loan. I don't really know what is taking so long, nor do I know how to resolve this as there is no way of getting through to them via the phone lines.
    Originally posted by pops07
    Have you tried phoning first thing in the morning as soon as the lines open?
    • rich_shot2003
    • By rich_shot2003 19th Nov 19, 1:59 AM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 598 Thanks
    rich_shot2003

I sent back signed form to them on Nov 4th and not had a text or money yet so would think they are busy with Christmas coming up.

I have been holding off calling them as it's a nightmare getting hold of them so will give it till next Monday then will call them if not heard from them.

I also think a big part of the problem is Royal mail as they are the ones who opens DWP mail.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 19th Nov 19, 6:54 AM
    • 6,222 Posts
    • 5,752 Thanks
    poppy12345
    my benefit day has been and gone and no sign of the loan.
    It can be paid in any day of the week and it's usually a separate payment to your usual fortnightly money.
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 19th Nov 19, 11:31 AM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 668 Thanks
    MarkN88
    if you posted the form back which you signed on 5th Nov, let’s say they did get it the next day the 6th, you need to allow 15 working days so that brings you to the 27th.

No point phoning again until that date has passed.
    • pops07
    • By pops07 19th Nov 19, 7:00 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    pops07
    Have you tried phoning first thing in the morning as soon as the lines open?
    Originally posted by Spoonie Turtle
    Yes tried all times of the day, maybe I am just unlucky. Some people have mentioned it has got worse since it became a freephone number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,706Users online

Martin's Twitter