Saving for..?

Comments

• Ooh what a lovely friend you are giving away free gin :D

Good news on the budding relationship with bf mother.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well done on being paid and fab news on motherinlaw making an effort. Go you!
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    edited 19 November 2019 at 7:16PM
    Been busy still so has meant cheeky wee coffees here and there! Out for lunch again tomorrow but could be considered a business lunch plus!! I get my final pay from my old work tomorrow too. Not sure how much to expect, maybe a few hundred that will go straight to savings anyway. Picked up shopping from Aldi and still surprised how cheap I can get it!! £11.94 which includes a lightbulb that doesn't fit for my kitchen so need to find another :(

I officially switched over to bulb today but they didn't take my first payment? Hopefully it does tomorrow. Bulb are supposed to take payment on the first day of change.

This weekend again not much, bf coming to me for a change to help me buy cards for christmas and he's never been to B&M so going to take him in which I know will be a few more spends but I'd like to have some more homely ornaments and fluffy things so we'll see.

Oh apparently BFs mom called saying she stalked my facebook and was poking at him to talk about me. He said he will make effort to get us all more involved. I was thinking of just sending her pictures of nice things to see if that helps start convo!

Groceries: £19.48/£25
    Petrol: £20.01/£55
    Entertainment: £0/£60
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    Well done on discovering Ald+ for shopping and on switching gas etc. I wish I could but I am tied in for a while. Hurrah to shopping for Christmas cards! OMG sounds like the BF's mum is very curious which I think is a good thing.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Forumite
    edited 21 November 2019 at 7:09PM
    Quick update

I went for lunch with friends. I had to leave early as I had a meeting so I went to pay and I think I ended up paying for part of the food they ate but I didn't! Oh well. That was £7.95 towards the entertainment fun. Tomorrow BF comes here but just until Saturday afternoon as he has a lot of work and it's taking a toll on our relationship so we're just trying to balance his need for space/work and our mutual need for our relationship. I think we're just going to get a cheap pizza for tea then make soup on Saturday then go out to get some stuff for Christmas.

I got a bigger wage than I was expecting from my old job and on meeting ex-colleague she said the same happened to her as it was a tax rebate but then they decided to take it back? So I don't know what's going on as haven't yet received my P45. I put it into my savings any way so I won't spend it.

I am just getting my work service up and running but I am so ready for a holiday. Few more weeks to go.

Groceries: £19.48/£25
    Entertainment: £7.95/£60
  • £7.95 is still a great price for lunch out. It may be difficult to balance both your needs at weekends but I'm sure it will be worth it and only for a few years.

Hope you don't have to back tax on your new job.
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    I hope that you do enjoy the time you spend together. It's nice you had the chance to eat with friends but sorry you had to pay extra. I think you have been v disciplined in saving the extra money in case some of it is required back. Fingers crossed it wont be and will be a bonus.
  • I got my p45 yesterday it looks like I was paid for the 5 days I worked plus expenses then got a tax rebate? I owed them around 1.5 days worth of additional holidays which they don't seem to have taken off. Also they've put my leaving date as 2 weeks after I left and started my new job?? Did tax change this year? Is that why? I've no idea..

So Friday we picked up some discounted stirfry and meat for tea which was absolutely lovely, better, cheaper and quicker than take out of the same food would have been!! Ofc got lots of snacks too so I gave bf £5 towards it and he paid by card. Just need milk tomorrow. Then we made soup this morning and he helped me season it and have leftovers for work lunches! We then went to get Christmas cards this afternoon and a couple bits and bobs from B&M. I dropped him off. It was nice, we made effort with each other and we have a mix of quality time together and study time for him. He has lots of assignments and exams all very close together but he will finish up when I'm off work so planning on my 6monthly dental checkup, hair cut and eyebrow appointment on my week off before he finishes then can spend some time relaxing together... sleeping in late!! the dream!!. Must get those booked ASAP.

Ok so last week I found a silverfish (didn't know it at the time) in my toilet... washed it down thought nothing of it. 2 days ago, another in my shower. Again, flushed it down the shower... Cue this morning when its only bloody came back up the shower drain!! I flushed it and after my shower I tried a couple of DIY treatments but nope, I came in again this evening and it was running around! OMG they're fast. In my panic I stupidly grabbed the hoover and hoovered it up but in my fear of it coming back out I threw the hoover into the shower and shut the doors..... :rotfl: I'm too scared to open it back up and will probably step into shower tomorrow forgetting there's a bloody hoover in there.... Does anyone know how to deal with this? I've never had silverfish before - is it because I'm ground floor so closer to the pipes and stuff? So far only seen them in the bathroom and intend to keep it that way, so please help!! They are bloody fast it scares me. One of the few cons of living alone is dealing with pests :(

Groceries: £24.48/£25
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    OMG poor you. We had silverfish at work. The boss hired cleaners. Everything was bleached and they went. I have never seen them again. I hope this works for you. Wear washing up gloves and bleach everything in bathroom. Change hooverbag in case they are in the hoover I think then the house will be ok.

I understand totally how you are feeling as when I was in my twenties I had a bee in the house and I locked the door and didn't go into the room. Someone from work had to come and see if it was still alive and it had died and they vacuumed it up for me. Twenty six years later it still makes me freak out but laugh too:o. lol.

ps Well done on all the extra money. How nice is it that work though so much of you.
  • Well I've bleached the bathroom, haven't seen anything but I know not to hold my breath lol.

Was tossing up whether or not to go to the £30 per head Xmas lunch on the 13th but finally agreed to as I think I get paid that day with it being a Sunday on the usual pay day and thought it would be nice to see everyone as I work on my own currently. Then bf said he has a birthday party this Friday which again I was tossing up, I have my own alcohol to take from a leaving gift so will just need club entry and food at the end and bus fare, as I tend not to drink at clubs, just drink water and dance. Just not looking forward to work then bus then getting ready, I'll be tired before going out! But oh well, will be nice I think :)

As you can see I'm at almost 95% of my emergency fund goal and will be there on Monday after my new standing order of £250 goes to my savings :j:j After that I need to start saving for a new car me thinks! And continue saving for a deposit/whatever the future brings.

Have had quite a few prolific studies lately too so that'll pay my bus fares for the weekend if they get confirmed by then. It does help to think of it that way!

I have my new office space where I can eat in peace so shouldn't be eating out much. Trying to stick to my soups and pastas for work.

Anyway, £13.50 on groceries for the next few days

Groceries: £13.50/£25
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure