Recording and smart tv

Options
I have just been told that I pay £10 a month to use the recording/pause facility on my sky box since I cancelled my sky tv package. I have a smart Samsung tv with free view and so is there a recorder I can buy that would mean I wouldn’t need the sky box? Thanks

Comments

• sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are plethora of digital TV recorders for Freeview in Amazon, Argos, E-bay etc.

Somewhat pointless for catch-up TV, since most FreeView channels have their apps that offer the recently aired content for free and you should have them pre-installed on your smart TV.
  • evergreen
    Options
    Thanks Sal. I’ll look at those recorders.
    I know they have the apps, but I like the pause facility too and also ITV hub does not have much on their catchup unless you pay.
  • womble12345
    womble12345 Posts: 585 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 November 2019 at 12:11PM
    Options
    Some smart TVs allow you to plug in a hard drive to a USB port and record on that, my basic £300 LG TV certainly does. I would check your TV manual.

In your situation with my TV I would throw away my Sky box, plug my sky dish into my TV and also a USB hard drive and record that way.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What make of TV?
    My Sony Bravia also allows me to plug in an external USB hard drive and record freeview programmes, even when I am watching a Sky channel and recording another Sky channel on my Sky box.
  • mobileron
    mobileron Posts: 1,218 Forumite
    Options
    ITV Hub is free same as Iplayer. They would charge you to remove adverts.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    As long as you didn't have Sky Q, just replace your sky box with a Humax Freesat box....
    If you had Sky Q then AFAIK they aren't compatible. Then the only choice would be a Humax freeview PVR.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some smart TVs allow you to plug in a hard drive to a USB port and record on that, my basic £300 LG TV certainly does. I would check your TV manual.

In your situation with my TV I would throw away my Sky box, plug my sky dish into my TV and also a USB hard drive and record that way.

That will only work if the OP's TV has a satellite decoder.

The OP mentions Freeview which is very different to Freesat.
    evergreen wrote: »
    I have just been told that I pay £10 a month to use the recording/pause facility on my sky box since I cancelled my sky tv package. I have a smart Samsung tv with free view and so is there a recorder I can buy that would mean I wouldn’t need the sky box? Thanks
    Do you mean Freeview from an aerial or Freesat from a satellite dish?
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    A Youview box gives you recording, pausing live TV, and the catch up services (and Netflix). You can buy a Humax one, but Humax also make boxes for BT, who give them to people that may not want them, who you will find selling them on Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, eBay etc locally, far cheaper than you can get a Humax one for.
    Usually plugging a USB drive into a TV for recording results in disappointment. There's usually only one tuner in the TV (so you can't record/view 2 different things) and often the user interface isn't very good either.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options

The problem is since they only have 1 tuner you can't watch something else while it's recording and AFAIK they don't have pause/resume for live TV (at least my Sony doesn't)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure