Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 83SW83SW
    • By 83SW83SW 18th Nov 19, 11:14 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    83SW83SW
    Chargeback
    • 18th Nov 19, 11:14 AM
    Chargeback 18th Nov 19 at 11:14 AM
    Hi,

I made an online purchase from what I understood to be a UK based retailer, purchasing a jacket. On making the purchase I received no email confirmation or any communication from the retailer. I then received a parcel from China with the import paperwork stating that this was the jacket I had ordered. Yet upon opening it, it was a pair of counterfeit sunglasses.

I have attempted to contact the company but as it is based in China, I am met with a language barrier. As this was in essence a fraudulent transaction, with them sending me counterfeit goods and falsifying the import paperwork I contacted my bank to see if I could request a chargeback. However as the retailer has not provided me with any confirmation email, tracking info etc Barclays have said that it is unlikely to be able to request a chargeback as they have no proof that I had ordered a jacket and not the sunglasses (although the import paperwork states jacket but inside it counterfeit sunglasses.

Can anyone advise what action I can take to recoup this money?
Page 1
    • phillw
    • By phillw 18th Nov 19, 12:50 PM
    • 3,159 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    phillw
    • 18th Nov 19, 12:50 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 12:50 PM
    Where did you make the online purchase? Do they have a complaints procedure?

You could also complain to your bank & take it all the way to the ombudsman. However you get a different amount of protection depending on how you paid.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 18th Nov 19, 1:02 PM
    • 12,503 Posts
    • 8,147 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 18th Nov 19, 1:02 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 1:02 PM
    do the terms and conditions state under which country's law they operate?
    • born again
    • By born again 18th Nov 19, 3:37 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    born again
    • 18th Nov 19, 3:37 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 3:37 PM
    It is not a fraudulet transaction as you made it.

You have a chargeback right for either good as not described. Or a easier option is counterfeit goods. As that does not require to send the goods back.
    What you need to do is contact the brand holder of the sunglasses and get them to provide proof that the site you used is not a genuine supplier of their product.

Contact your card provider, ask for the disputes team and they will be well used to dealing with this. I know we are.
    Last edited by born again; 18-11-2019 at 3:40 PM.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 18th Nov 19, 4:18 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 18th Nov 19, 4:18 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 4:18 PM
    I am guessing that the purchase was probably paid through Paypal …..
    • born again
    • By born again 18th Nov 19, 5:48 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    born again
    • 18th Nov 19, 5:48 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 5:48 PM
    I am guessing that the purchase was probably paid through Paypal …..
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    OP please confirm?
    • 83SW83SW
    • By 83SW83SW 18th Nov 19, 6:10 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    83SW83SW
    • 18th Nov 19, 6:10 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 6:10 PM
    No. A Barclaycard Credit Card.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 18th Nov 19, 7:28 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 18th Nov 19, 7:28 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 7:28 PM
    No. A Barclaycard Credit Card.
    Originally posted by 83SW83SW
    And the charge appears on your account as debited by what retailer? Was the charge incurred in GBP or RMB?
    Are you sure paypal were not involved as a Chinese website posing as a UK company (which I have encountered) is unlikely to have a UK merchant agreement in place.

In my experience of these websites you do normally get the goods as ordered although there is a long delay in receiving them as they are sent from China.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 18-11-2019 at 7:36 PM.
    • 83SW83SW
    • By 83SW83SW 18th Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    83SW83SW
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    • 18th Nov 19, 8:05 PM
    The charge was debited by a company called Dressium.

Of course I am not inferring that all Chinese retailers act fraudulently/dishonestly but on this occasion I was of the understanding that I was purchasing a Sik Silk jacket from a UK based retailer, however counterfeit Ray Ban sunglasses have been sent with the import paperwork stating that is a jacket enclosed.
    • born again
    • By born again 18th Nov 19, 8:19 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    born again
    Op go to Rayban website and there is a section that allows you to see if the website is a authorised supplier of their sunglasses.
    Print off the proof that they are not.
    Then go back to barclaycard and say you have received fake rayban sunglasses. Forget you ordered a coat. That is just confusing the situation

Tell them you have the proof they are fake and you want a chargeback actioning. If they refuse raise a complaint.

I have had people order boots and get flip flops.
    • 83SW83SW
    • By 83SW83SW 18th Nov 19, 8:41 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    83SW83SW
    Thank you. Will do.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 18th Nov 19, 8:43 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Ben8282
    https://www.onceuponatime-store.com/

Just one look at this website makes it pretty obvious that it is not a UK company!
    • 83SW83SW
    • By 83SW83SW 19th Nov 19, 10:43 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    83SW83SW
    This is not the website I made purchase from. As advised this appeared to be a genuine UK website, very similar to the Sik Silk website where I had made purchase from previously. Dressium must have numerous websites from which they misrepresent themselves to customers and sell counterfeit goods.
    • born again
    • By born again 19th Nov 19, 2:09 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    born again
    This is not the website I made purchase from. As advised this appeared to be a genuine UK website, very similar to the Sik Silk website where I had made purchase from previously.
    All these companies do is copy the sites.
    The giveaway is usually the URL of the site. But the biggest is reading the T/C & returns policies. Never make any sense....
    • 83SW83SW
    • By 83SW83SW 20th Nov 19, 12:45 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    83SW83SW
    So I contacted Barclaycard who reiterated their stance that as I have no ‘proof’ that they will not be able to request a chargeback. I escalated this to their Executive Customer Service where I was assigned an associate who would address my complaint. However on raising the fact that I can request a chargeback for both item not as described and for the fact that the item received was counterfeit, my communication is being ignored. I have contacted them three time’s over the past 36 or so hours with no response.

Can anyone advise of what action I should take next?
    • 83SW83SW
    • By 83SW83SW 20th Nov 19, 4:27 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    83SW83SW
    Sorry. They’ve finally got back to me and have initiated the chargeback for counterfeit goods! Thank you for all that helped!
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 20th Nov 19, 4:36 PM
    • 4,396 Posts
    • 2,418 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Now we wait for the chargeback to be disputed by the retailer on the grounds that you purchased a jacket which was not counterfeit, they don't know anything about these counterfeit sunglasses, jacket was dispatched on X date, customs declaration attached etc
    • born again
    • By born again 20th Nov 19, 5:34 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 445 Thanks
    born again
    Now we wait for the chargeback to be disputed by the retailer on the grounds that you purchased a jacket which was not counterfeit, they don't know anything about these counterfeit sunglasses, jacket was dispatched on X date, customs declaration attached etc
    Originally posted by Ben8282

Odds on they will not.

If the OP has proof from RayBan that they are not a approved supplier. They have no right to contest.

Never known any of these contest. They like to keep a low profile as to many chargebacks will see them in trouble.
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 21st Nov 19, 11:39 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    Hi,

I made an online purchase from what I understood to be a UK based retailer, purchasing a jacket. On making the purchase I received no email confirmation or any communication from the retailer. I then received a parcel from China with the import paperwork stating that this was the jacket I had ordered. Yet upon opening it, it was a pair of counterfeit sunglasses.

I have attempted to contact the company but as it is based in China, I am met with a language barrier. As this was in essence a fraudulent transaction, with them sending me counterfeit goods and falsifying the import paperwork I contacted my bank to see if I could request a chargeback. However as the retailer has not provided me with any confirmation email, tracking info etc Barclays have said that it is unlikely to be able to request a chargeback as they have no proof that I had ordered a jacket and not the sunglasses (although the import paperwork states jacket but inside it counterfeit sunglasses.

Can anyone advise what action I can take to recoup this money?
    A very common scenario in the last year or so, that is to say receiving random goods and having no invoice.

Barclays are correct in that you have no proof but any chargeback will work. 99.9%.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

303Posts Today

3,329Users online

Martin's Twitter