Small Claims Court - Building Company in Liquidation

2»

Comments

• DE_612183
    DE_612183 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Might be worthwhile speaking to Trading Standards
  • Thank you so much everyone for your comments! It's really helpful getting someone else's opinion on this.

The question of "Are the subsidiary really who they claim to be?" is a good one that must be addressed. I think it would be unusual if it was such blatant fraud. I would think a company would find out sooner or later that someone else was advertising on their website that they were affiliated, but I guess it's always possible.

I got in touch with Trading Standards and they will give me a call back this week. I will provide an update when I have new info.
  • UPDATE

I got in contact with Trading Standards and they have confirmed that I am correct in taking action against the parent company. I have also been in direct contact with the liquidator and, even though they are still claiming that they are unaware of the subsidiary, they have said they will carry out their own investigation into the matter and have sent me a form in which I can lay out my case for claiming I am a creditor of the parent company.

For me this is feeling a lot more positive than it was when I started this post and I can't speak highly enough of the Trading Standards officer I was in contact with and advice.scot. They did a great job in keeping me informed on what they had found and gave additional advice and action to take if the liquidator fails to take my claim seriously.

The impression I got from Trading Standards is that the people involved with the subsidiary are who they say they are but might be a bit dodgy since they have a record of starting companies for a short time and then liquidating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure