Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    • 12,121Posts
    • 84,930Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 8:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 8:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Page 130
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 16th Nov 19, 5:56 PM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 12,907 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

I am now using my new Dell Inspiron laptop. I set it up by myself with advice from my younger son who is a real tech head

Wednesday it is a real shame that you had a reaction to The Ordinary serum
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Nov 19, 7:59 PM
    • 20,895 Posts
    • 123,874 Thanks
    maman
    So pleased you got your new laptop sugarbaby . I envy you having your son as a personal advisor. We've recently bought a new desk top and been forced into Windows 10. I hate these 'upgrades' as they always seem to lose facilities that I need.

Sorry to hear about the frozen shoulder LL . I've had it myself in the past. I'm suffering with my back. I've been out today so laid off the amitryptiline so I was less sleepy but still taking the painkillers.

We've been out for lunch with friends and then to a matinee today. I decided that smart casual was the way to go so wore my White Company blue jeans with a pink angora jumper. It felt appropriate for the county town we were in.

I have some paper work to do tomorrow but I'd like to get out for a walk if I can. We'll see how my back is as I'm hoping to go dancing 3 times this week.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 17th Nov 19, 9:59 AM
    • 1,853 Posts
    • 12,907 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Maman, my new laptop also has Windows 10 and it will take me quite a while to get used to it. It is good to know that if I get stuck, my son will be able to give me advise. I am expecting to get stuck a lot

Sorry to hear that your back is making you suffer at the moment. I hope your back improves soon
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 17th Nov 19, 12:12 PM
    • 3,587 Posts
    • 25,484 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm going to drop off a donation bag to the charity shop tomorrow. I had to add that nice Debenhams navy maxi dress as it is too big on me now. It's quite annoying as I liked that dress as it was good quality.

I will take a quick peek in the £1 charity shop and also look for a new mascara in Superdrug.

I might look in Boots too as I never look there.

wednesday sorry to read about your reaction to The Ordinary products. Can I ask you a couple of questions;

1) were you using any direct acids? I think you are supposed to build up using some of them, until your skin gets used to it.

2) many of the products canít be used at the same time as other products. I noticed you said you bought buffet. This canít be used at the same time as direct acids in case of a reaction. There is a table on The Ordinary chat room which shows all of the conflicts. I think buffet had loads of conflicts. The goods news is that you can use the products at different times. When I emailed them for a routine, they suggested buffet in the morning and an acid in the evening.
    Originally posted by chanie
    No, I deliberately only used one at a time and only was using the buffet in the morning and my normal one in the evening. I even watched a YouTube video about the products first.

My skin is back to normal today, I didn't even bother to wash my skin last night to leave it alone. I just splashed water on my face.

I'm going to apply a very thick cream I have tonight to try and put more moisture back in.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 19th Nov 19, 10:53 AM
    • 12,121 Posts
    • 84,930 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies...

Still here, still hanging on, just. Shoulder and neck giving me gyp. I'm resting it but trying to keep it moving iyswim. Important not to let it seize completely. So using a heat patch today and doing my exercises the physio gave me.

One thing is for sure - I will not be painting any more beamed ceilings. My son came on Sunday and said they looked fab. They do, but it's not worth penny pinching and making myself ill. I have finally learned my lesson, to accept my limitations with a good grace.

And of course, a course of physio costs more than a decorator ......

Hopefully it won't come to that and provided I do the exercises and take appropriate self help measures I should be able to avoid seeing the physio again.

Maman.....hope your back feels better soon.

Dropped the car in to the garage this morning, so today is decision day. Whether to get it repaired or sell it.

Bright and sunny here but chilly. Sub zero last night. Still much better than all that rain. I quite like crisp cold winter days, it's the endless grey murky days that get to me.

Anyway enough typing......

Hope everyone's ok.
    • maman
    • By maman 19th Nov 19, 11:50 AM
    • 20,895 Posts
    • 123,874 Thanks
    maman
    Still here, still hanging on, just. Shoulder and neck giving me gyp. I'm resting it but trying to keep it moving iyswim. Important not to let it seize completely. So using a heat patch today and doing my exercises the physio gave me.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I read that quickly as you'd been swimming! That's not as daft as it sounds. When I had frozen shoulder I realised, by accident, that some gentle breast stroke on holiday seemed to improve things. I mentioned it to GP (who was on the point of suggesting cortisone injections) and had physio instead. It really helped.

Maman.....hope your back feels better soon.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    I've made an appointment with the GP for this afternoon. I haven't had this problem since January and it generally clears up in a couple of days but not this time. I just want to know that I'm doing the right thing, taking the right medication etc. We're going to Amsterdam on Monday so I'm hoping it'll be better or at least I have enough painkillers etc, to take with me.

I have been making a bit of an effort with fabbing. I think we're now really into winter weather. I was out last night and wore a jumper again.

We're out for a meal on Thursday (DD2's birthday coming up) and I'll probably wear a dress. I know Wednesday has recently bought some thermal tops and IIRC sugarbaby bought some last year. I picked up a black one in Peacocks and it's great for layering. It's close fitting and long enough in the body and sleeves and it looks great underneath things as it's plain rather than lacy like a vest. They only do black and white in Peacocks. It's be great if I could get some other colours.

I'm hoping to go dancing tonight if GP says it's OK. I find distraction helps when I'm feeling unwell.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

130Posts Today

1,389Users online

Martin's Twitter