Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 16th Nov 19, 5:02 PM
    • 4,157Posts
    • 746Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    Why don't Asda accept AMEX cashback card?
    • 16th Nov 19, 5:02 PM
    Why don't Asda accept AMEX cashback card? 16th Nov 19 at 5:02 PM
    Now i know there'll be people who reply that yes they do but i'm wanting to try and find out why they don't accept mine.

Asda's website claim they do: http://asda-stores.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail_grow/a_id/1890/~/payment-methods

Yes there's the "ask us a question" link at the bottom of that link but as i suspect their reply wont be instant and i'm wondering if anyone here may have gone through the same and got the answer, i thought i'd try here first...

What payment methods do Asda accept in store?

Print Our stores accept most major payment methods including:
    • Cash
    • Credit and Debit cards (Mastercard, Delta, Maestro, Visa Electron, Solo and American Express)
    • Asda Gift Cards
    • Asda credit card cashback vouchers
    • Valid coupons and vouchers (i.e. Healthy Start and Luncheon)
    • Pre-paid cards (i.e. Azure payment card)
    • Travelers cheques, Sterling cheques and Euro cheques.
    (Note: Euros travelers cheques can only be used in Northern Ireland stores)

I recently opened the Amex cashback card and got a second card for my wife to use. I loaded my card to my iPhone as i don't frequently spend, gave my card to my mother to use and my wife uses her card.

Have been finding out which stores do and don't take the card. Some weren't a surprise (small coffee shops), others were (our local corner shop) but the that's really surprised me is Asda.

My wife has used her card on a few occasions, or at least tried to. She's tried contactless, she's tried chip & pin and she's tried Google Pay - it's rejected each on more than one day.
    Sainsbury's has never been a problem other than midweek i went to use Apple Pay and it wanted me to present the card (so luckily i had my HSBC debit card loaded to my Apple Pay) whereas today i had no such issue in Sainsbury's.

Any idea regards Asda?

Page 2
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Nov 19, 4:31 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    My suggestion would be to arrange supplementary cards for anyone you want linked to your account and stick to using chip and pin in Asda. Contactless doesn't work.
    Originally posted by The Urbanite
    Don't they allow only the one? Or do you have to pay extra for a second additional? I'm sure i read something that lead me to believe i was fine to get an additional for my wife but not my mother (or indeed anyone after my wife). Again, not to get my words misunderstood or to have my words picked apart (common theme), i don't actually necessarily mean my wife but rather the first additional card, which in this case has my wife's name on it.

Actually is fairly well known that some places ( I know ASDA and Costa Coffee for personal experience) have problems accepting contactless/ Apple Pay/ Google pay someone times but will not have issues using the card for chip and pin.
    Originally posted by Marchitiello
    Thanks. I'll tell my wife to try again but specifically only chip and pin.

Up until recently I've always been able to use AMEX at Asda, just not via contactless. However my card was rejected on Friday in such a way as to make me think that they might have stopped taking Amex (or perhaps there was just a temporary problem with them that day).
    Originally posted by msallen
    Thanks for the feedback.

• YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 17th Nov 19, 4:35 PM
    • 31,056 Posts
    • 19,069 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Don't they allow only the one?
    Originally posted by JustAnotherSaver
    In the absence of anything on their website and/or your paperwork confirming, you're going to have to contact them and ask. However, it's a fairly common requirement in the industry that additional cardholders have to reside at the main cardholders address.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 17th Nov 19, 4:36 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    We've used our Amex Platinum Cashback card in Asda for 2 or 3 years, no problem - including yesterday and today, so it can't be a general issue.

Looks like a problem specific to the OP's situation.

Allowing a non card holder to use the principal card ?
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Nov 19, 4:41 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    You’re still missing the point.
    You shouldn’t be loaning “your” card.

I put “your” like this, because actually the card belongs to Amex.

When you call them, please ensure that you tell them the issue is when you loan your mother “your” card and pin so she can go shopping with it and it’s when she uses it and not you.

And see how they respond.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    No i'm getting the pointless point, i'm just choosing to ignore it.

Absolutely NONE of you have ever loaned a bank or credit card to ANYONE in your lives, ever?

With some of you, possibly not but i doubt this applies throughout.

What i have exception to is the fact that outside of MSE i can talk with people and everyone seems to have done the exact same things you've done in life yet when you come to MSE it's like the only place on planet Earth that everyone is 100% perfect. Nobody here breaks or bends any law or T&C whatsoever...? These are the people who will claim they've never even done 31mph in a 30mph zone, not once ever in their lives because they're the only person on planet Earth who sticks by all laws, all T&Cs. They're perfect.

There's a word for that and it begins with "bull...."

So no, i wont be "ensuring..." anything at all i can ensure you on that since it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. For starters you're that caught up over me loaning my card to my mother that you think that's when the issue arises. Maybe instead you should've focused on the actual issue reported & realised what family member it happens with - not my mother would be a clue for you.
    It also doesn't make a ##### of difference whether my mother is buying a box of cereal with my card or whether i am. It doesn't have a finger print sensor on the damn thing so if it acts up for her then it'd act up for me on the exact same transaction.

May as well talk about climate change here. It's got about as much to do with the issue i've reported as what you're waffling on about.

• JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 17th Nov 19, 4:44 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    In the absence of anything on their website and/or your paperwork confirming, you're going to have to contact them and ask. However, it's a fairly common requirement in the industry that additional cardholders have to reside at the main cardholders address.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    I'll get in touch with them. I'm not sure enough to put money on it but i'm fairly sure i saw something which had me thinking a second additional was a no-go, otherwise i would've done it.

If the same address thing is a problem then that'd certainly tick the no-go box.

We've used our Amex Platinum Cashback card in Asda for 2 or 3 years, no problem - including yesterday and today, so it can't be a general issue.

Looks like a problem specific to the OP's situation.

Allowing a non card holder to use the principal card ?
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Careful you don't go down the same road as that other guy.
    A card holder IS using THEIR card when encountering the problem.

I'll put it down to that other person waffling on about a non-card holder as to what's confused you.

• Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th Nov 19, 4:46 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Ben8282
    The title of this thread is 'Why don't Asda accept AMEX cashback card?'
    The relevant part of the OP is 'My wife has used her card on a few occasions, or at least tried to. She's tried contactless, she's tried chip & pin and she's tried Google Pay - it's rejected each on more than one day.'
    The information about the mother sharing his card is not relevant in any way as it is the wife, not the OP or his mother, who has experienced difficulties on multiple occasions when attempting to use her card at Asda.
    The OP does not clarify exactly how this card was declined or rejected and what actually happens when she attempts to use it.
    Why the OP chose to include the non-relevant information about his card and his mother is unknown. He should have just stuck to the relevant facts.

My best suggestion to the OP would be that your wife returns to Asda, attempts a chip/pin transaction with her card then retains the 'declined' receipt and you then call Amex and ask them why they declined the transaction.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 17-11-2019 at 4:50 PM.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 17th Nov 19, 4:47 PM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    msallen
    Hw exactly was it 'rejected'. Can you be more precise as to how this rejection occurred?
    Originally posted by Ben8282
    Can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like "Card not accepted, please try another". It was pretty immediate - i.e. before I was asked for a PIN.
    Hall of fame
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 17th Nov 19, 4:52 PM
    • 31,056 Posts
    • 19,069 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    No i'm getting the pointless point, i'm just choosing to ignore it.

Absolutely NONE of you have ever loaned a bank or credit card to ANYONE in your lives, ever?

With some of you, possibly not but i doubt this applies throughout.

What i have exception to is the fact thhat outside of MSE i can talk with people and everyone seems to have done the exact same things you've done in life yet when you come to MSE it's like the only place on planet Earth that everyone is 100% perfect. Nobody here breaks or bends any law or T&C whatsoever...? These are the people who will claim they've never even done 31mph in a 30mph zone, not once ever in their lives because they're the only person on planet Earth who sticks by all laws, all T&Cs. They're perfect.

There's a word for that and it begins with "bull...."

So no, i wont be "ensuring..." anything at all i can ensure you on that since it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. For starters you're that caught up over me loaning my card to my mother that you think that's when the issue arises. Maybe instead you should've focused on the actual issue reported & realised what family member it happens with - not my mother would be a clue for you.
    It also doesn't make a ##### of difference whether my mother is buying a box of cereal with my card or whether i am. It doesn't have a finger print sensor on the damn thing so if it acts up for her then it'd act up for me on the exact same transaction.

May as well talk about climate change here. It's got about as much to do with the issue i've reported as what you're waffling on about.
    To be fair, your post #5 seemed to indicate she wasn't 100% sure she'd not entered her own PIN by mistake. Now what do you think would have happened if the cashier had asked to have a quick look? Answer...possibly confiscation, security, and maybe even police. And don't forget till areas in such as Asda have CCTV. Do you think Amex would want to continue the relationship?

This is advice, and you can either take it or leave it...your posting history shows your family's finances (brother, sister and now mother) are so intertwined its starting to look more than a little dangerous!
    Last edited by YorkshireBoy; 17-11-2019 at 4:56 PM.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th Nov 19, 4:53 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Ben8282

Yes I have actually a very long time ago when I was much younger. I had to pay the bill as well when they went on a spending spree which is why I would never do it again.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 17-11-2019 at 4:55 PM.
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 17th Nov 19, 4:54 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Can't remember the exact wording, but it was something like "Card not accepted, please try another". It was pretty immediate - i.e. before I was asked for a PIN.
    Then there is something wrong with your card.
    Did you go to customer services and ask them if they were still accepting Amex cards?
    Last edited by Ben8282; 17-11-2019 at 4:58 PM.
    • The Urbanite
    • By The Urbanite 17th Nov 19, 6:08 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 89 Thanks
    The Urbanite
    That is pretty normal. Sometimes you need to try two or three times before it accepts the card in Asda.

I used an Amex card in Asda today and it was fine.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 17th Nov 19, 6:18 PM
    • 6,990 Posts
    • 4,648 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Like I said; when you find Amex be sure to let them know you’re card is being lent to another third-party to use along with the PIN number.

Their solution to the problem will be quite simple - they’ll close the account.
    • born again
    • By born again 17th Nov 19, 7:26 PM
    • 822 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    born again
    The title of this thread is 'Why don't Asda accept AMEX cashback card?'

The information about the mother sharing his card is not relevant in any way as it is the wife, not the OP or his mother, who has experienced difficulties on multiple occasions when attempting to use her card at Asda.
    Your right about the thread title.

Sadly for the OP, they raised another point.

Yes, people do share cards and PIN's. But that is a clear breech of the T/C and can result in the loss of the card.
    Which always say "Do not share your PIN with anyone"
    I have pulled some customers before when people have claimed fraud. Yet when questioned about transactions have said "Ah my XXX used the card then".
    Sorry no refund and can you return the card for breech of T/C.

So the OP shot themselves in the foot by mentioning it, and can not try to back track on the point.
    If you are going to do it, keep it quiet.
    • Terry Towelling
    • By Terry Towelling 17th Nov 19, 9:25 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 1,800 Thanks
    Terry Towelling
    Ok i was going to ignore it but since it's a theme that seems to be running throughout most responses i'll reply to it since you actually went in to some detail on it.

Not possible.

Why? Because we wont be spending at the opposite ends of the country, we live in the same small area.

But we could be spending at different shops at the same time in the same area you say.

Not possible.

I spend zero between Monday and Friday as i'm at work. My mother does her weekly shop midweek.
    If i use my card it is likely a Sunday - my only day of the week off work which is also a day my mother doesn't go out, so can't spend.
    Thanks for this slightly prickly response - much appreciated.

When I read your opening post, your very first sentence quite clearly asked why Asda wasn't accepting your card.

Now i know there'll be people who reply that yes they do but i'm wanting to try and find out why they don't accept mine
    You later talked of problems your wife was having in Asda and also that you had an issue with acceptance via Apple Pay in Sainsburys, so it sounded to me like there were a number of linked problems for you all and that your arrangements with your mother may have had a bearing on that - so I tried to help.

To then have you mouthing off at people for highlighting things that might just have a bearing on your plight or that might trip you up in the future, isn't very wise.

It is also a bit odd to say that coincidental spending is 'impossible' simply because you live in the same area as your mother. Strange as it may seem, I actually live in the same house as my wife, but, in days gone by, when she was well, she might spend when visiting family in Canada and I might stay in the UK and spend - so it is a bit daft to say something is impossible when you actually mean it is unlikely because your circumstances mean you and your mother don't go anywhere, or do any shopping on the same day.

Enjoy your day off - and I hope you get your card-acceptance problems resolved - regardless of who's actually affected.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 19th Nov 19, 6:04 AM
    • 1,109 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    msallen
    Then there is something wrong with your card.
    Did you go to customer services and ask them if they were still accepting Amex cards?
    There's nothing wrong with the card. I've used it many times (in other places) since.
    I didn't go to customer services because it really wasn't an issue for me, I was simply recounting the episode for the sake of being of possible interest to the OP's question.
    Hall of fame
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th Nov 19, 7:35 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I'll put it down to that other person waffling on about a non-card holder as to what's confused you.

I'm totally 100% unconfused.

The principal cardholder stated that he gave the card to his mother to use - that is a breach of terms and conditions etc. - and it may have had a bearing on the issue his wife experienced, hence the question mark after my comment.
    • JustAnotherSaver
    • By JustAnotherSaver 20th Nov 19, 9:43 PM
    • 4,157 Posts
    • 746 Thanks
    JustAnotherSaver
    and it may have had a bearing on the issue his wife experienced,
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Well clearly i'm missing it so explain it to me.

How may it have?

If nothing else at least replying to me will guarantee you getting another thanks, regardless of what you say
    Last edited by JustAnotherSaver; 20-11-2019 at 9:45 PM.

• Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 20th Nov 19, 9:48 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 2,413 Thanks
    Ben8282
    Havn't you called Amex yet to find out what is going on? What are you waiting for? Christmas?
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 20th Nov 19, 10:33 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Well clearly i'm missing it so explain it to me.

How may it have?

If nothing else at least replying to me will guarantee you getting another thanks, regardless of what you say
    I wasn't sure to be specific - but, for example, perhaps a member of checkout staff might wonder why a woman is using a card issued in a man's name ?
    • MonsieurY
    • By MonsieurY 22nd Nov 19, 6:07 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MonsieurY
    Amex contactless does not work for me in Asda. Chip and PIN has never been a problem.
    Originally posted by sausage_time

Same here!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,054Posts Today

5,951Users online

Martin's Twitter