Taking online payments

I am looking for a payment provider where I can have customers pay for a service through my website.
Initially there won't be many transactions just a few per week I expect.
I have seen on other sites those such as sage pay , PayPal and world pay. Just wondered if anyone with the research already done could recommend one to me?

Comments

• martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Worldpay and Sage Pay are probably more suited to an established business as they have fixed costs with monthly fees (around £30) as well as charges per transaction - typically a percentage for a credit card and a fixed fee for a debit card. Paypal charges per transaction are likely to be higher but I don't think there are monthly fees. It is probably best to start with Paypal or another supplier that just charges transaction fees.

I use Worldpay but I continue to offer Paypal as quite a lot of people have balances on their accounts that they want to use. PP is used for about 30% of my sales even though I give card payments as the first option.
  • I'd use Paypal to start with as it is easiest to implement from a web point of view (so probably cheaper), you can keep an eye on charges and see how they compare to other providers but for low levels of transactions the differences are not likely to be very much.

Paypal is more user friendly as well, at least in my experience.
    Make £2018 in 2018 Challenge - Total to date £2,108
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use paypal, no monthly charges and easy to setup. Also most customers prefer it as they trust it as a middleman and they don't have to dig out a debit/credit card to pay.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income