Tesco refusing to give me correct change vent

Options
13»

Comments

• Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I can't honestly remember the last time I used cash to pay for anything - I don't even have any cash on me.

If I were in a position where I had no choice but to use cash at a self-service till, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were a problem - eg no change, dud coins etc

I don't think anybody's blaming the OP, it's just that some people would not choose to use cash because there's a small likelihood it could become more complicated. Plus you have to count out what you put in and what comes out.
  • Arthurarthur52
    Options
    As a small business owner I can see both sides of the argument.

As a retailer I would have accepted the old £1 coin as long as it looked genuine - we took several this year and refused a number as well. But we would never give one out. This is the same with £5 and £10 notes. We are on the coast and have a large number of EU travellers who are not up to speed on the notes changing. We won’t take Scottish notes as we don’t know which are genuine and will not take £50 notes as it would wipe out our float.

As a customer we would never attempt to pass a old coin or note to a small business nor would we expect this level of customer service but you get what you pay for and why we avoid Tesco.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Can I start a vent about wasting 90 seconds of my life reading this thread?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Can I start a vent about wasting 90 seconds of my life reading this thread?

Are you a speed reader? ;)
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP, we keep one old £1 coin just for supermarket trolleys. Strangely enough, we received it in change at a supermarket! (not Tesco) My missus found this out when she put it in the trolley by mistake. This now achieves two aims: we always have a coin for the trolleys, as wifey keeps it in a small zip pocket, and I can refuse when someone asks for a coin as I replace the trolley. Because I either stand waiting whilst they fumble for umpteen coins to change it, or as one really cheeky git wanted, to get it for nowt.

The old coin has worked in Morrisons, Sainsburys, Asda and yes, Tesco. But it has never worked in car park machines. (Boo!)
    Try it!
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills