Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stuart P
    • By Stuart P 29th Sep 19, 10:20 AM
    • 798Posts
    • 161Thanks
    Stuart P
    buyer asks to cancel order and paypal keep the 30p transaction fee!
    • 29th Sep 19, 10:20 AM
    buyer asks to cancel order and paypal keep the 30p transaction fee! 29th Sep 19 at 10:20 AM
    not sure if others are aware of this but if a buyer purchases an item on ebay, realises they have made a mistake and then asks to cancel that transaction before the item has been posted, if we cancel it for them the buyer gets refunded in full as they should. but then checking the paypal transaction page, paypal keep hold of 30p of our original fees! i believe this is the 30p standard amount paypal add on to each transaction. the cancel process all takes place within ebay in the proper way.

so essentially for helping a buyer out we get charged 30p! seems utterly ridiculous.
Page 3
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Nov 19, 2:08 PM
    • 13,809 Posts
    • 9,520 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    maybe you've had your own reasons to be 'disgruntled' buyers. who knows. maybe i'll get 'disgruntled' buyers, maybe i won't. and maybe there are 'disgruntled' sellers out there who recoup their losses with 'disgruntled' buyers in other unorthodox ways.

i'm ok with the risks. i'm not saying it is a perfect solution but i'm happy with it.
    Originally posted by Stuart P
    The issue always comes though when you cannot enforce what you are doing.

Hopefully you won't get any issues charging for a cancellation...
    • Dissident70
    • By Dissident70 15th Nov 19, 4:38 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Dissident70
    This happened to me yesterday. I have something clearly listed as collection only, the buyer is in Yorkshire, I'm in Essex. Had to refund which is fine but why am I saddled with paying a fee for someone else's stupidity? It's not the first time either. Grrrrr....
    • soolin
    • By soolin 15th Nov 19, 4:52 PM
    • 62,935 Posts
    • 45,306 Thanks
    soolin
    This happened to me yesterday. I have something clearly listed as collection only, the buyer is in Yorkshire, I'm in Essex. Had to refund which is fine but why am I saddled with paying a fee for someone else's stupidity? It's not the first time either. Grrrrr....
    Originally posted by Dissident70
    I don't think you realise what the buyer sees when they buy something- it will say 'paypal preferred' so not exactly a stupid buyer. As a seller you really need to understand the rules and restrictions on ebay , collection only items can be a minefield if you don't understand ebay, have a read of this:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=65282064#post65282064
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Dissident70
    • By Dissident70 15th Nov 19, 6:28 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Dissident70
    I do consider it to be stupidity if at the start of the listing it states COLLECTION ONLY In huge black letters, then someone several hundred miles away pays for the item...then I send a message asking when they would like to collect and they tell me "oh sorry, didn't realise it was collection only, can I have a refund please". Seems pretty stupid to me. It's not my fault that they don't read the listing.
    I'm not the one that made a mistake. I have not hidden the fact the item is only for collection and yet I am the one penalised each time some moron doesn't bother to read the listing. I find it odd as I buy on eBay too and after checking out the price of an item the next consideration is how much the postage is....
    This has happened to me more than a dozen times in the last twelve months. I don't know what's up with everyone!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 16th Nov 19, 7:13 AM
    • 13,809 Posts
    • 9,520 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I do consider it to be stupidity if at the start of the listing it states COLLECTION ONLY In huge black letters, then someone several hundred miles away pays for the item...then I send a message asking when they would like to collect and they tell me "oh sorry, didn't realise it was collection only, can I have a refund please". Seems pretty stupid to me. It's not my fault that they don't read the listing.
    I'm not the one that made a mistake. I have not hidden the fact the item is only for collection and yet I am the one penalised each time some moron doesn't bother to read the listing. I find it odd as I buy on eBay too and after checking out the price of an item the next consideration is how much the postage is....
    This has happened to me more than a dozen times in the last twelve months. I don't know what's up with everyone!
    Originally posted by Dissident70
    The issue arises because people view ebay on different platforms. If you view on an app you don't get to see the description unless you click through a few times. If I view on my iPad I get a one line (seems to have been plucked at random from the description).

Did you set it on the listing as collection only (by that I mean not the description but in the postage section). That should help but it's not foolproof.
    • Dissident70
    • By Dissident70 16th Nov 19, 4:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Dissident70
    Yes, COLLECTION ONLY is in the title, the description and below the main photo where postage goes.
    I really don't know what else I can do. I contacted PayPal Support on Twitter and they were next to useless. We had a back and forth where they sympathised but stated "This policy allows us to align more closely to our cost structure, to the policies of our payment partners and to industry practices". In others words, you've got not choice so suck it. It's a terrible, unfair practice so I have reported it to the Financial Ombudsman. I know nothing will change but I was so peed off. This must affect millions of people and PayPal are just mugging us all off!
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 16th Nov 19, 4:40 PM
    • 13,026 Posts
    • 29,133 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    maybe you've had your own reasons to be 'disgruntled' buyers. who knows. maybe i'll get 'disgruntled' buyers, maybe i won't. and maybe there are 'disgruntled' sellers out there who recoup their losses with 'disgruntled' buyers in other unorthodox ways.

i'm ok with the risks. i'm not saying it is a perfect solution but i'm happy with it.
    Originally posted by Stuart P
    I have had a a few cancellations.

One I was just about to take to the PO.

Personally, although I find it annoying to have to pay the paypal fee I would rather pay it than run the risk of them damaging the item etc. and then asking ebay for a refund.

It just is not worth it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,098Posts Today

7,158Users online

Martin's Twitter