Ppi refund but no signed paperwork

Options
I posted a few months ago regarding a company who claimed ppi back for my nan who is 91 years old. She just had a call out of the blue from this company. If we had of known then we would have done it for her.

Anyway, around 4 months ago she received 2500 back from a bank. With the company asking for 1200 fee. This already seemed steep as they're only able to charge 25% for claims after July 2018 I believe. My nan always asks me or my auntie to look over paperwork before she signs it. So I found it odd that this company would have a signed agreement from her where they would charge 40%. Since she's received the refund I've ring the company weekly asking for a copy of this form to which I have never received anything. I've been told it's been emailed to me, it's been posted out, none of this has ever materialised. They did email me a letter of authorisation which she signed after speaking to my mun. But this had nothing on saying she would pay any fee to this company.

It's been 4 months now and my nan is petrified of spending the money, I've rang the company again today and been told the letter has been sent out. I've confirmed they have the correct address. When I asked if they could email it to me whilst I was on the phone they told me they don't currently have access to the system.

They obviously don't have the required paperwork so I'm wondering who I can report this to so that I can get her account with these con artists closed and she can spend her money.

Regards

Danny

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    Options
    Call their bluff - give them 7 days to send you the paperwork by signed for post or any further correspondence will be treated as harassment.
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What’s the name of the firm? I have suspicions about one of them obtaining details via shady methods and I’d be interested to see if it’s the same crowd
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • dannyjebb
    Options
    brettcta wrote: »
    What’s the name of the firm? I have suspicions about one of them obtaining details via shady methods and I’d be interested to see if it’s the same crowd

They're called theppi team based in Manchester
  • brettcta
    brettcta Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That wasn’t the crowd I was thinking of but I’m aware of problems with them
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for £6.34)
  • dannyjebb
    Options
    As suggested above I'm going to call them tomorrow giving them a 7 day deadline otherwise I'll be reporting them for harassment.

Just to confirm, the letter of authority isn't a contract with this company? It is solely a form saying my gran gives permission for the bank to share data with this company?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    dannyjebb wrote: »
    Just to confirm, the letter of authority isn't a contract with this company? It is solely a form saying my gran gives permission for the bank to share data with this company?
    Not quite.
    A signed Letter Of Authority (LOA) is permission for the Claim Firm to act as the representative of a given person in any PPI complaint.

The contract drawn up will detail the actual cost of such an arrangement.

Nothing to do with "sharing data" unless it was only permission to make a Subject Access Request (SAR) on behalf of the person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure