Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 5th Nov 19, 12:14 PM
    • 2,028Posts
    • 3,873Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    DLA tribunal advice?
    • 5th Nov 19, 12:14 PM
    DLA tribunal advice? 5th Nov 19 at 12:14 PM
    I've received the date for my son's DLA hearing(next Monday but I've had to ask for a postponement as I can't get there for 10am) and they have asked me to email any extra paperwork or information I may have which I will do this evening, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice about the tribunal itself as it's a little bit scary. (For information he has dyspraxia and his symptoms haven't changed since he was awarded it but they suddenly decided he didn't need any extra help any more)
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
Page 2
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 12th Nov 19, 6:34 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Thanks LocoLoco-me too but I can't see it happening tbh. They were very nice but it seemed as if they didn't really believe me.
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 13th Nov 19, 12:38 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    I just got a letter from the tribunal and they say they are allowing the appeal...I won? I actually won? Does that mean I'll start receiving it again? What happens now?
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 13th Nov 19, 3:52 PM
    • 6,144 Posts
    • 5,682 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I just got a letter from the tribunal and they say they are allowing the appeal...I won? I actually won? Does that mean I'll start receiving it again? What happens now?
    Originally posted by Toomuchdebt
    Great news! You will receive backdated money from the date the original decision was made and the award will be put into payment BUT this can sometimes take as long as 8 weeks.

With Christmas just around the corner and backlogs getting bigger, you may not receive anything before Christmas. Hopefully, it will be sooner of course.
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 13th Nov 19, 4:03 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Thank you! Hopefully it won't take as long but after Christmas is good too
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
    • LocoLoco
    • By LocoLoco 13th Nov 19, 5:07 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 396 Thanks
    LocoLoco
    Really pleased it was good news, OP, it's nice to hear good stories I hope it all gets set up and the payments go through quickly, will be lovely if it's sorted out before Christmas x
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Nov 19, 7:46 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Excellent.

What was the award? Middle rate care?
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 13th Nov 19, 8:19 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Excellent.

What was the award? Middle rate care?
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    Highest rate care and low mobility.
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 13th Nov 19, 8:26 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    OMG I've just realised they've awarded him MORE than before.Before he was only getting the care part. Does that mean they will pay the higher amount from when it got stopped in May?
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 13th Nov 19, 8:46 PM
    • 3,849 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    calcotti
    OMG I've just realised they've awarded him MORE than before.Before he was only getting the care part. Does that mean they will pay the higher amount from when it got stopped in May?
    Yes. The new award will be backdated to the date the previous award was stopped.
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 13th Nov 19, 9:03 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Yes. The new award will be backdated to the date the previous award was stopped.
    Originally posted by calcotti

Thank you so much.
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Nov 19, 9:09 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Are you receiving Child Tax Credits?

If so, let HMRC know of the award:
    https://contact.org.uk/news-and-blogs/extra-tax-credit-payments-if-youre-claiming-dla/

Also (if relevant):
    https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/disability-living-allowance/help-with-your-dla-claim/disability-living-allowance-dla-extra-money-and-benefits-you-can-get/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 13th Nov 19, 9:15 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Oh yes I am getting child tax credits-should I wait for the actual award letter or is the tribunal latter enough?
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 13th Nov 19, 9:22 PM
    • 3,403 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    Oh yes I am getting child tax credits-should I wait for the actual award letter or is the tribunal latter enough?
    Good - From memory I recall that if you notify HMRC within one month (?) of the tribunal decision the additional disability TC elements will also be backdated to the DWP decision date.

I'd send a copy of the tribunal decision notice with a covering letter (along with a phone call). Make sure you keep a copy of all correspondence, and a note of time / date / etc of phone calls.

Edit: I post a link to the Advice Now appeal guides (for both PIP and DLA), as I think they are very helpful for anyone undertaking an appeal. However, I am often unsure if posters follow that link and take any notice of that guidance.
    You are one of the few OP's who have said they wrote a statement using info from the Advice Now guide, so it's gratifying that your hearing was so successful.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 13-11-2019 at 9:33 PM.
    • Spoonie Turtle
    • By Spoonie Turtle 13th Nov 19, 10:19 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    Spoonie Turtle
    Brilliant news! I'm so pleased to hear you had such a good outcome.
    • Toomuchdebt
    • By Toomuchdebt 13th Nov 19, 10:25 PM
    • 2,028 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Toomuchdebt
    Good - From memory I recall that if you notify HMRC within one month (?) of the tribunal decision the additional disability TC elements will also be backdated to the DWP decision date. I'll get on to them tomorrow

I'd send a copy of the tribunal decision notice with a covering letter (along with a phone call). Make sure you keep a copy of all correspondence, and a note of time / date / etc of phone calls.
    Will do

Edit: I post a link to the Advice Now appeal guides (for both PIP and DLA), as I think they are very helpful for anyone undertaking an appeal. However, I am often unsure if posters follow that link and take any notice of that guidance.
    You are one of the few OP's who have said they wrote a statement using info from the Advice Now guide, so it's gratifying that your hearing was so successful.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt
    The site really was very helpful, especially the statement template. Made it so much easier to write a well organised statement, and to include everything I wanted to. I would never have written it without seeing that site so I'm really grateful to you for posting it.
    Debts Jan 2014 20,108.34

EF #70 0/1000

SW -13.5lbs
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,476Users online

Martin's Twitter