Tax Credit Debt

Options
Hi all, I’m currently bankrupt (as of May ‘19). I was under the impression that my Tax Credit overpayment would be included, is that incorrect? I’m still paying back £70 odd a month out of my Universal Credit. Haven’t been on the ball and only just realised, I will give them a ring tomorrow to query it.

Comments

• Clouds88
    Clouds88 Posts: 386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If your on a joint UC claim and the other party isn’t bankrupt you’ll still continue to pay.
    However, if it is you only then you need to ring the debt recovery people which you can find the number on the online UC account. It took me forever to get it refunded, but you should be able to get them to immediately stop the recovery whilst they ‘investigate’ to check your bankrupt. Make sure your ready to be pushy if necessary they are hard to handle and often don’t know what should be going on.

Good luck.
  • chasingsolvency
    Options
    Thanks so much, that’s great news! It’s just myself so all good in that respect. Will give them a ring tomorrow.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless the claim was proven to be fraudulent - the debt should be included.
  • mumofboys18
    Options
    I had a terrible time getting TC debts cleared after going BR. It took 5 months to get them to finally stop
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure