Latest flea treatment for cats

Options

Comments

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,192 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Keeping the fleas down is a struggle for me at the moment. Ugh, this heat! And our cat keeps finding long seedy grass somewhere. Might be where the fleas are lurking too.

Our vet is reluctant to prescribe Advocate to us. Frontline stopped working years ago and we now use Advantage, but I swear that's not working either, but Vet says it might be, eventually... Just have to break the flea cycle, apparently. We are having to be extra fastidious and use the house sprays multiple times (pupae are impervious, so when they hatch, I want to hit the blighters), and the cat gets combed 2-3 times a day. Not a huge house infestation worthy of pest control just yet, touch wood (I moved into a house that was alive a few years ago). But it's horrible.

Ugh! Good luck with your own fight, fellow flea busters!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £228.36/200

Decluttering 856/2024 Awards 🥇
    (22/04/24)
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cat flea problems are the very devil to clear.
    Years ago the only flea deterrent was a powder to put on the cat - of course the cats hated it, and so did we. It took two of us to hold the animal and we were all nearly choking with the damn stuff, also often badly scratched.
    My cats used to come back from the cattery with fleas as well. At that time putting them in a cattery was the only way we could get a weeks' holiday, but they didn't like it and we used to feel guilty.

We don't have any animals now, and I don't miss the flea problem, though treatments seem to have improved considerably since the "old days"

Hope you get it sorted.
  • Wembley
    Options
    My vet says they stopped using the injections some time ago as they don’t work well. I would be interested to know if there is a new product out there?
  • SleepySara
    Options
    As a cat lady, I know how to get rid of fleas firsthand though I'm not a veterinarian. The holy trio here consists of seresto collar, herbal shampoo and pills (on prescription ofc). Some might say garlic and tea tree oil works well too, and it would be true, these are harmful for fleas, but also extra toxic for cats. It works with dogs fine though.
    My vet also stated that they stopped doing injections too but because of harmful effects on pets.
    Also Frontline is always worth to try.
    Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb about.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Oddjob wrote: »
    Please don't use any spot on treatments, they burn, they melt paint (try it) and burn holes in metal.
    If you get garden pesticide on your hands, you should wash it off immediately, so why risk putting it on your pets to have it go into their bodies?
    Why do you think pets start shaking their heads when you put it on them - because its hurting them!!
    Anyone on facebook, just type in Bravecto, Advantage or any of the other things you use and see how many dogs/cats have been killed.

Please, please, if you love your pets, use natural flea treatments, there are lots about, try Billy No Mates. Put a drop of cider apple vinegar in their water, comb their coats with it, use a fine tooth comb. Garlic in moderation is good for keeping fleas away, joints and heart.
    Coconut oil brushed into the fur - Lauric acid in coconut oil has a strong repellent effect, which makes your dog or cat very unattractive as a host for ticks and fleas. And this is a great advantage compared to the chemical treatments, that are based on !!!8220;poisoning!!!8221; the insects. (they often contain neurotoxic poisons, which can even cause seizures and other very serious side effects)

Don't risk burning or even killing them for the sake of a few fleas!!

This is terrible advice, for one thing garlic is actually poisonous to dogs and cats.

https://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/garlic/
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    SleepySara wrote: »
    As a cat lady, I know how to get rid of fleas firsthand though I'm not a veterinarian. The holy trio here consists of seresto collar, herbal shampoo and pills (on prescription ofc). Some might say garlic and tea tree oil works well too, and it would be true, these are harmful for fleas, but also extra toxic for cats. It works with dogs fine though.
    My vet also stated that they stopped doing injections too but because of harmful effects on pets.
    Also Frontline is always worth to try.

Garlic is poisonous to dogs too.
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wembley wrote: »
    My vet says they stopped using the injections some time ago as they don’t work well. I would be interested to know if there is a new product out there?

We used to use a few injectable flea treatments, unfortunately resistance forms to these products over time and we have to keep changing treatments. The injections were also not that useful - tackling only the egg stage of the lifecycle, not the adult or larvae stages.
  • Cara51
    Cara51 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 13 November 2019 at 6:12PM
    Options
    I have LOTS of experience in the UK with flea treatments. Those you can buy WITHOUT a prescription, DO NOT WORK! Save your money and go to the vet. To save money this way, ask the vet to give you a written prescription you can then fill online. It will be MUCH cheaper than what the vet can sell you. You then either post or scan & email the original scrip to the company, i.e. 365Vets etc.
    The cost of a 3-month vial of BRAVECTO (the latest flea & tick treatment) is about £15. The cost of 3 treatment vials (each lasting one month) of Advantage (veterinary version) is about £9. So the newer treatment is more. You have to decide if trying to make your pet sit still while you put the drops on its neck skin, is exasperating enough to pay more for one 3-month treatment.
    NOTE: ANY FLEA TREATMENT YOU CAN BUY IN THE UK WITHOUT A PRESCRIPTION, EVEN WITH THE SAME NAME i.e. FRONTLINE & ADVANTAGE, IS NOT THE SAME POTENCY! Companies make a LOT of money this way because peeps think it saves them money to bypass the vet. The one exception is Capstar pills for dogs & cats, but these only kill fleas for 24 hours.
  • SleepySara
    Options
    If cat is already treated with drops or shampoos and also combed, there's one more thing that wasn't mentioned and it's a collar. Usually, collars repel fleas from cat, but it may be individual. On the catademy there are few topicks about flea treatment, you may check them, but I'd recommended you to check up at a vet - they may pick really suitable treatment.
    In general, as I know, only one method is never enough. Sometimes you need to though to the "battle" all you may use... and then repeat, a bit later, cause fleas ar stubborn and very resilient neighbours.
    Half of being smart is knowing what you are dumb about.
  • headpin
    headpin Posts: 780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oddjob wrote: »
    Your pets, your choice but people should know the other side of these products, why are you told to wash it off immediately if you get it on yourself? Try putting a drop on paint.

The reason you wash it off is to stop ingestion either through inadvertently putting your “contaminated” fingers in your mouth or through the skin. I have often got garden pesticides and cat flea treatment on my hands and have never felt any reaction, let alone burning. So cannot agree with your suggestion and conclusion.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure