Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SCUD
    • By SCUD 26th Sep 19, 1:27 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 11Thanks
    SCUD
    To Amex...or not to Amex!
    • 26th Sep 19, 1:27 PM
    To Amex...or not to Amex! 26th Sep 19 at 1:27 PM
    Hi all...

My wife is trying to convince me to get a British Airways Amex credit card so we earn Avios points then use them to get discounted flights or some other stuff using the Avios points.

We currently use Debenhmas' Master Card in our daily shopping and bills. Every 3 months we get 10-20 in vouchers to spend in Debenhams. We do use these vouchers, but mainly because they will expire, so we either get stuff the vouchers cover or something that exceeds the vouchers value and we pay a fiver or a tenner above it. like the other day I got a pair of jeans for a 5+the vouchers.

As for Avios points I am not sure how easy for us to earn them using the not much loved online and in stores card... Amex.

The only way to go around the Amex rejection by retailers is to pay via PayPal. But not everyone accepts PayPal and it is not available in stores.

Can someone share their experience with Amex? in regard of getting around the problem of not being accepted everywhere, and also how useful the Avios points they earned were?

Any advice is appeciated
Page 5
    • Curls2208
    • By Curls2208 10th Nov 19, 10:50 AM
    • 137 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Curls2208
    Is there any other service like 'Curve' that will allow Amex? i got Amex for this and then realised it wont work. ( I can use my curve abroad you see and could have still gotten AMEX cashback)
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 10th Nov 19, 11:53 AM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 9,226 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Is there any other service like 'Curve' that will allow Amex? i got Amex for this and then realised it wont work. ( I can use my curve abroad you see and could have still gotten AMEX cashback)
    Originally posted by Curls2208
    Short answer is no. Curve worked with Amex as a Beta trial for people who got in early. When Curve extended the trial, Amex quickly blocked Curve because they felt people were abusing it (as indeed we were!)

For on line purchases, add your Amex to your PayPal account. You can often use Amex this way with retailers who do not take Amex directly.

For some big retailers, such as B&Q, you can buy their Gift Cards at supermarkets etc using your Amex.

Where there is no other way of using Amex, use a different cashback card. Tandem is one of the best ones around at the moment. 0.5% cashback taken off your monthly bill, and no fee for foreign currencies. AFAIK, it's the only card that gives you cashback on forex with no fee.
    • trient
    • By trient 12th Nov 19, 7:07 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    trient
    Tandem is one of the best ones around at the moment.
    NatWest/RBS rewards might be better, if you bank with them (no fee). Same 0.5% for all purchases but 1% for supermarkets spend.

Only until 1 February though.
    • jasdev
    • By jasdev 12th Nov 19, 8:43 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jasdev
    Where there is no other way of using Amex, use a different cashback card. Tandem is one of the best ones around at the moment. 0.5% cashback taken off your monthly bill, and no fee for foreign currencies. AFAIK, it's the only card that gives you cashback on forex with no fee.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    There is this card

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/credit-cards/rewards-credit-cards

which for one day was featured on the MSE homepage and ranked higher than Tandem; however, the day after, it had been removed. I applied before it was removed, but noticed that Barclaycard advised me "The card you have been approved for is no longer available; here is a similar card we think you'll like."

I couldn't identify any difference in the Terms & Conditions or Agreement between the first and the second card, so I kept it.
    I would rather this than Tandem as I don't need another current account.

I don't know why MSE removed it, but hopefully it is because Barclaycard wanted to prevent too many applications for it.

Oh and for Amex, paying via Paypal or buying gift cards does not earn reward points, as far as I know. These were loopholes closed off by American Express.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Nov 19, 10:17 PM
    • 5,610 Posts
    • 9,226 Thanks
    Nick_C
    @Jasdev

OK so the Barclays CC gives you 0.25% cashback on Forex. Didn't know this. But you get twice as much cash back with Tandem.

You dont need a Tandem Current Account to take out a Tandem Credit Card. In fact Tandem don't offer current accounts!! They offer savings accounts and credit cards.

You are wrong about Amex. You can get Avios or Membership Reward Points if you link your card to Paypal, or if you buy gift cards in supermarkets. I do those often and have done in the last week.

Please don't say I'm wrong when you are wrong and simply guessing.
    • jasdev
    • By jasdev 13th Nov 19, 7:29 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    jasdev
    @Jasdev

OK so the Barclays CC gives you 0.25% cashback on Forex. Didn't know this. But you get twice as much cash back with Tandem.

You dont need a Tandem Current Account to take out a Tandem Credit Card. In fact Tandem don't offer current accounts!! They offer savings accounts and credit cards.

You are wrong about Amex. You can get Avios or Membership Reward Points if you link your card to Paypal, or if you buy gift cards in supermarkets. I do those often and have done in the last week.

Please don't say I'm wrong when you are wrong and simply guessing.
    Originally posted by Nick_C

Mm, correct on Tandem. I misread Savings account as Current Account when I was looking to apply, for some reason. Oh, and I didn't want a purely app-based bank.
    But I believe that MSE placed the Barclaycard above the Tandem card because Barclaycard does not charge interest on cash withdrawals overseas if you make the full payment by the due date each month. Very handy for me, travelling in South America, or Germany and Japan, both countries that prefer cash over card payments. It's just a mystery to me that MSE then removed the card from their best travel credit cards list.

And I will do a bit of Googling to find out but I am not guessing, I had read that somewhere! So if you're correct, fine, I just haven't linked mine to Paypal nor have I purchased gift cards with them.
    Ah okay, my mistake. It is pre-paid cards which one cannot purchase with American Express for the purpose of earning Membership Rewards points, as per their Terms & Conditions here:
    https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/rewards/membership-rewards/about-earning

1. How do I earn points?
    You earn Membership Rewards Points for every full pound of eligible spend on your Card. Simply use your American Express Card for your everyday purchases and watch your Points add up.

Please note that the following are not eligible spend, so will not earn Membership Rewards Points:

interest;
    all fees (including annual membership fees and default fees);
    balance transfers;
    cash advances (including transactions treated as cash);
    loading of pre paid cards;
    American Express Travellers Cheque purchases;
    foreign exchange transactions; and
    any amounts that are subsequently credited to your Card Account by way of refunds or other types of credits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,444Users online

Martin's Twitter