Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Julio72
    • By Julio72 23rd Aug 19, 11:07 AM
    • 16Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Julio72
    100 WOW
    Thoughts on Lidl?
    • 23rd Aug 19, 11:07 AM
    100 WOW
    Thoughts on Lidl? 23rd Aug 19 at 11:07 AM
    I have been shopping at Tesco for the past few years but recently I have been trying to save money and decided that I would switch supermarket to save a bit more money each month. I have seen that Lidl is the cheapest supermarket and I was wondering if anyone has any experience shopping there? I've heard the quality isn't as great but I'm not really too fussy when it comes to food so I don't think I would mind so much.

Page 6
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 18th Oct 19, 11:39 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 2,050 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Adding Friday to the weekend offers has really increased the number of customers shopping in Lidl on Fridays. Today is the second week I have been slow getting round the shop because of the higher number in where normally I don't see that many.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 18th Oct 19, 1:17 PM
    • 7,777 Posts
    • 15,662 Thanks
    Farway
    Adding Friday to the weekend offers has really increased the number of customers shopping in Lidl on Fridays. Today is the second week I have been slow getting round the shop because of the higher number in where normally I don't see that many.
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    same here, I normally go in early doors on Fridays for convenience, the last few weeks have been a real PIA
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 20th Oct 19, 1:45 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    General Grant
    At the Lidl I use most frequently, they have a "rule" of "If you haven't bought anything, you can't leave through the same door as you used to enter".

I wouldn't mind so much but the route to the "leave" door requires getting past the self-serve queue and walking further, not exiting at the most convenient point for my next destination.

[Do Lidl have more or fewer shop lifters than other supermarkets? Is that why they try this security feature?]
    Last edited by General Grant; 20-10-2019 at 1:49 PM.
    • couriervanman
    • By couriervanman 20th Oct 19, 1:49 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    couriervanman
    At the Lidl I use most frequently, they have a "rule" of "If you haven't bought anything, you can't leave through the same door as you used to enter".

I wouldn't mind so much but the route to the "leave" door requires getting past the self-serve queue and walking further, not exiting at the most convenient point for my next destination.
    Originally posted by General Grant
    "At the Lidl I use most frequently, they have a "rule" of "If you haven't bought anything, you can't leave through the same door as you used to enter".............you cant make it easy for the shoplifters
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 24th Oct 19, 5:00 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    General Grant
    "At the Lidl I use most frequently, they have a "rule" of "If you haven't bought anything, you can't leave through the same door as you used to enter".............you cant make it easy for the shoplifters
    Originally posted by couriervanman
    I see my additional note about shoplifters is at the same time as your reply.

So do you think they have more shoplifters than other stores?

I've even been stopped by a security person when I was using the "correct" exit. His English wasn't very good but I surmised that he wanted to see what was in my bag. He looked but still wanted to waft it past some kind of detector higher up on the wall and this did seem to make some kind of alarm sound but he couldn't communicate what else, if anything, he wanted to do, so I left. The same machine is near the entrance so pointless not to use that.

I'm waiting to be banned.
    Last edited by General Grant; 24-10-2019 at 5:03 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Oct 19, 10:35 PM
    • 31,471 Posts
    • 65,551 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I'm waiting to be banned.
    Originally posted by General Grant
    From Lidl or the forum?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 25th Oct 19, 1:10 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    General Grant
    From Lidl or the forum?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Lidl, of course.
    • thedogsmum
    • By thedogsmum 6th Nov 19, 8:09 AM
    • 348 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    thedogsmum
    Aldi do the same - in fact, if you linger by the foyer, you can slip out of the lidl ones (near me), when someone comes in. With Aldi, it is completely spit so you have to go out passed the check outs. No self serve ones in either Aldi or Lidl near me.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 6th Nov 19, 12:35 PM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Originally posted by duncanthedog
    Do you do the shopping for Dad? Thatís very thoughtful of you.

Iíve tried to get the cat to do the shopping but when I asked her the look on her face was priceless
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 8th Nov 19, 3:51 PM
    • 31,471 Posts
    • 65,551 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I popped into large store in Southend earlier this afternoon, and OMG what an unholy mess it is. Its not just a question of requiring a refresh, stuff in the middle aisles was everywhere. I'd planned on doing a big shop but ended up walking straight out again.

We've got two more stores opening soon, I hope they are better maintained.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • gt568
    • By gt568 8th Nov 19, 5:09 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 3,097 Thanks
    gt568
    I popped into large store in Southend earlier this afternoon, and OMG what an unholy mess it is. Its not just a question of requiring a refresh, stuff in the middle aisles was everywhere. I'd planned on doing a big shop but ended up walking straight out again.

We've got two more stores opening soon, I hope they are better maintained.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse

I find Lidls are either really awful or really good.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Nov 19, 5:41 PM
    • 10,244 Posts
    • 13,020 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    Lidl will probably be manic over the next week with today's Metro vouchers being used. Vouchers also in this weekend's Mail/Mail on Sunday.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • General Grant
    • By General Grant 9th Nov 19, 12:46 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,123 Thanks
    General Grant
    Lidl will probably be manic over the next week with today's Metro vouchers being used. Vouchers also in this weekend's Mail/Mail on Sunday.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    I went in today - arrived about 9.15. Plenty of spaces in the car park, comfortable inside.

Paid £30.06 after my £10 discount, including taking advantage of a couple of the weekend special offers.
    • duncanthedog
    • By duncanthedog 10th Nov 19, 10:18 AM
    • 936 Posts
    • 2,050 Thanks
    duncanthedog
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    So quiet at 8:20 this morning that the checkout was closed when I arrived, the early rush had gone.
    I used my coupon to get one of the special buys and also to help re-stock on non perishables, total spend was £34.00 after coupon
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 10th Nov 19, 5:45 PM
    • 31,471 Posts
    • 65,551 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I did manage to get a big shop done today, which is just as well because my £5 off a £25 spend (excluding alcohol) voucher was expiring today. Most of it was storecupboard essentials, cleaning and basic toiletries - mainly because there wasn't much fresh fruit or veg to be had - and I was surprised at how much I got for £20. There's more than enough to keep me going for several months now, plus I was able to get all my Christmas mixers and soft drinks. I had originally intended to splurge on a load of baked Christmas goodies but to my disappointment, the expiry dates are towards the end of this month / start of December, so no good for actual Christmas.

For the extra £5, I treated myself to a couple of boxes of baklava. A box lasts about 5 minutes with our afternoon cuppa when the whole family is gathered, so comes highly recommended.

• Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Nov 19, 5:35 PM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Murphybear
    That's interesting. I must admit I've never tried to do a complete shop in Lidl. I just use then for a few favoured things . I don't think you'll have that problem when your new Aldi opens. I manage 90%+ of my shopping in there.

Out of interest, what do you buy that Lidl doesn't stock?
    Originally posted by maman
    They have no delicatessen to buy freshly prepared things like cheese and cold meat. We are both real cheese hounds and find their range is very limited. I donít like buying prepacked meat either I like to see what Iím getting. Last Christmas I tried to get tubs of custard powder but was told by both Lidl and Aldi that they didnít stock it. Most of the herbs and spices on my list they didnít stock. 2 come to mind, mace and arrowroot. The first I know there were other things but donít have a list in front of me. I suspect a lot of it is us wanting more unusual items . I appreciate not every one had this problem.

One issue I have with Lidl is that their clothes are 2/3 sizes less than the label says. I bought a pair of socks that couldnít get into although my feet are no bigger than most. Last year I bought a pair of Christmas leggings which were supposed to be size 20 but they were far too small. I have lost 24lbs recently and OH said my legs and ankles were much smaller but these stupid leggings are still far too small. I sent them a polite email asking if there were any reasons for being small and I did get a response. They masterfully sidestepped my actual question and said I could take them back

I bought what could only be described as an electric teapot a while ago. The first time I used it it exploded. I was lucky I wasnít harmed or they would have faced a lawsuit. They did apologise when they refunded me my money.

I think OH prefers Aldi but a lot of that is because he prefers their mini stollens at Christmas. We eagerly await the new Aldi which is being built.

Early to everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,416Users online

Martin's Twitter