Unnecessary delay by Solicitor/bank???

Hi,

Like many on here, my family has experienced a long delay with my mothers`probate due to the new computer system that has been introduced.

On Friday 20th September, my brother (who is POA) received a letter from the family solicitor stating that they had received the Grant of Probate from the Probate Registry. Enclosed was the "request to close accounts form", which he duly signed and posted the next day 1st class. As the solicitor is in the same town, at the very latest he would have received this on Wednesday 25th September.

I`ll state at this point that there was only one account for probate, which was in the local Nat West Bank.

As of Wednesday 7th November, we have heard nothing from the Solicitor. My brother phoned him and he was very apologetic and stated that he was waiting for the bank and the delay was just another part of the back log due to the initial delay at the Probate Office.

Both the Solicitor and bank are in a small town of a population of 30,000, with the bank more or less in the next street to the Solicitors. Personally, I don`t see the bank being swamped with probate requests so I see this delay as being totally unnecessary. As a family, we have agreed that we don`t want to keep ringing the solicitor.

I am hoping to find out if this is a common issue or if someone isn`t doing their job properly. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    my brother (who is POA)

PoA died with your mother. Do you mean that your brother was the executor and asked a solicitor to deal with the probate application?

Or was the solicitor the executor?

A relative was PoA for his relative and also named as sole executor in her will.

He obtained probate and then advised the financial institutions holding accounts for the deceased, requesting transfer of funds into the executor's account.

This was usually dealt with within a few days although one institution took a couple of weeks.

I fail to understand close on six weeks' delay - your brother had better check again with the solicitor.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Why on Earth were you using solicitors to handle what sounds like the simplest of estates?
  • Why on Earth were you using solicitors to handle what sounds like the simplest of estates?

Because my father, who is still alive, wanted it done through the family solicitor.
  • xylophone wrote: »
    PoA died with your mother. Do you mean that your brother was the executor and asked a solicitor to deal with the probate application?

Or was the solicitor the executor?

A relative was PoA for his relative and also named as sole executor in her will.

He obtained probate and then advised the financial institutions holding accounts for the deceased, requesting transfer of funds into the executor's account.

This was usually dealt with within a few days although one institution took a couple of weeks.

I fail to understand close on six weeks' delay - your brother had better check again with the solicitor.

My brother was made Attorney of my parents affairs before my mother died. He is now in charge of my fathers affairs. Myself and another are executors of the wills.

As I explained, it was my fathers` decision to appoint the family solicitor to deal with my mothers` estate, which consists of one six figure ISA, which is well below the Inheritance tax threshold. Once we receive the money from the solicitor minus deductions (solicitors fess and payments to grand kids), the money will be re-invested into one of my father`s accounts.

Since receiving the letter, the delay has actually been 7 weeks and counting. All the Solicitor will say is that he is waiting for the bank. As I have said, I think the delay is, frankly, taking the p***.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Myself and another are executors of the wills.

But if you and another are executors of your mother's will, it was up to you to deal - your father might have had a view but you did not have to concur.

I assume that you are not saying that you and the other person renounced in favour of the solicitor?

And if your mother's assets consisted solely of cash in an ISA, it seems an unnecessary expense to have employed a solicitor to deal with matters.

Are you aware of the APS for your father in respect of the ISA?

See

https://www.skipton.co.uk/savings/savings-hub/additional-permitted-subscriptions[
  • xylophone wrote: »
    But if you and another are executors of your mother's will, it was up to you to deal - your father might have had a view but you did not have to concur.

I assume that you are not saying that you and the other person renounced in favour of the solicitor?

And if your mother's assets consisted solely of cash in an ISA, it seems an unnecessary expense to have employed a solicitor to deal with matters.

Are you aware of the APS for your father in respect of the ISA?

See

I think you`ve given your answer in your previous answer.

Clearly 7 weeks (8 weeks on Wednesday) is way too long.

Thank you
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,466 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Find out the CEO email address of the bank in question and make a complaint directly to them.
    I did it with Nationwide when my mother died. The solicitor was waiting or them, my father was waiting for them, they 'lost' two death certificates, it was 8 months before I did that and it was all sorted two days after I e-mailed.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff wrote: »
    Find out the CEO email address of the bank in question and make a complaint directly to them.
    I did it with Nationwide when my mother died. The solicitor was waiting or them, my father was waiting for them, they 'lost' two death certificates, it was 8 months before I did that and it was all sorted two days after I e-mailed.

Many Thanks. This has crossed my mind and my brother has been a little soft in respect to the solicitor, whose communication during the whole process has been abysmal. Personally I`m trying to toe the party line at the moment ;). As I said, it will be 8 weeks on Wednesday and I have spoken to the father of an old scholl friend who is also a retired solicitor from the same town, who has stated that this should have been done and dusted in a matter of days from when the letter was returned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure