Aqua Gym, are the “toys” useful

I have been doing aqua gym every week for many, many years. There are about +45 participants (90% ladies) with a coach at poolside.
The session lasts 45 minutes.
For the last 10/15 minutes we are given “toys” to use such as long bendy tubes or short tubes to use with the excersize.
A few years ago I had some shoulder pains and did not use the toys but just did the actions.
I have continued this way now for a long time.
So today I began to think if they performed any function other than stemming boredom by changing the nature of the Aqua Gym.
I have not discussed this with the trainers as I feel the issue might be controversial.
Does anyone know about this.
It is also curious that there are so few men, I am one of the few.
Thank you.
There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.

Comments

• gfplux wrote: »
    I have been doing aqua gym every week for many, many years. There are about +45 participants (90% ladies) with a coach at poolside.
    The session lasts 45 minutes.
    For the last 10/15 minutes we are given “toys” to use such as long bendy tubes or short tubes to use with the excersize.
    A few years ago I had some shoulder pains and did not use the toys but just did the actions.
    I have continued this way now for a long time.
    So today I began to think if they performed any function other than stemming boredom by changing the nature of the Aqua Gym.
    I have not discussed this with the trainers as I feel the issue might be controversial.
    Does anyone know about this.
    It is also curious that there are so few men, I am one of the few.
    Thank you.

It rather depends on what the toys are and how they are being instucted to be used.

Noodles, or woggles as they are also called, are generally used as a floatation aid. But they and other "toys" can also be used as a resistance device if being instructed to pull/push them through the water.

You say you have not enquired of the trainer the purpose because you feel doing so may be contraversial? Not at all, I suggest. I'm sure the trainer has a very good reason for asking you do do the particular excercise, and would have no issue with you asking after the class (or before the next) the objective of any particular move. Any good trainer will have no issue explaining what they are endeavouring to achieve.

Moreover, I am somewhat surprised that, as you say you have been attending for many, many years, the trainer has not asked you why you have opted not to carry out some exercises as instructed, unless you have advised the trainer of an existing long term injury and so wish to avoid certain actions to prevent aggravating that injury.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure