Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mikey26
    • By Mikey26 8th Nov 19, 12:51 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Mikey26
    Rats in attic of newly rented property
    • 8th Nov 19, 12:51 AM
    Rats in attic of newly rented property 8th Nov 19 at 12:51 AM
    Well, here goes.

My partner and I have recently moved into a new property together, after much research we have found what we have thought to be our perfect home; for our perfect new family (she's 37 weeks pregnant, our first child - exciting times!). We love our new home, its exactly what we are looking for and is close to both of our families homes also; which after years of living apart its nice to finally all be close together again .

BUT.. theres always a "but" just as things seems to be going so well right? The first night that we moved in and slept here we heard some light scurrying in the attic, having had rats before in previous properties we thought nothing of it and just agreed to deal with out ourselves as best as possible with a swift b&q trip the next morning for bait boxes and traps. After all, we were informed that the house had not been occupied for two months before we moved in; these things unfortunately happen and given the circumstances there's not a lot that can be done other than deal with it as best as possible.

Anyhow, lets cut to the chase... The following morning I had entered the attic for the first time. Its a small area, nothing at all stored up there, but absolutely bombarded with rat droppings. I laid the bait box with poison in where we thought we heard the most activity, along with three rat traps (Peanut butter, and chocolate in traps). I should also mention that the attic entrance is in our bedroom, pretty much directly above our head where the bed is. We also have an airing cupboard in the corner of our bedroom with the boiler in, which possibly due to the cosy heat it produces, hears a lot of activity directly above it.

So a week passes, and after hearing no decrease in noise what so ever... All baits and poisons are untouched. At this point, my partner and I have resorted to sleeping downstairs and on the odd occasion she has also stayed at her mums house in fear these rats will come down and make contact ( unlikely I know, but to be fair to her this isn't just the odd scurry of feet anymore. There is constant noise such as scratching along with frequent loud squeaking noises. Of course with her also on the verge of giving birth, tempers are heightened. The thought of putting our new born son in a bedside crib beside us in the room with these potentially disease riddled rats is quite unsettling for her and myself.

We have since contacted the landlord, and he has arranged a pest control service to come out and assess the issue. He has been into the attic himself and says he has covered up any entrance or exit points with wire wool and laid additional bait (you know, the fancy stuff that costs 50 quid a visit lol). This was two weeks ago and he has been twice in total, once for initial baiting and another visit a week later to check for any findings. Of course you know what's coming, still no dead rats and no decrease in noise! However the pest control guy did say a considerable amount of bait had been eaten in all bait bowls he had put down.

Final points to mention which are probably important is that not all of the attic is physically checkable. We are in a terraced house and have the tradition triangle shape attic (stand up too close to the left you bump your head stand up too close to the right you also bump your head, not entirely sure how to really explain it but the centre being the highest point). There are old brick walls which must be at least ten years old covering each side of the attic, however both have clear gaps in which the only way I could see to really close off fully would be some sort of reconstruction which I cant help but feel like the landlord and neighbours wouldn't quite want to do. But in terms of being sealed, its not at all, and that's just from the inside, who knows what the outside looks like. At first we thought the attic only covered our bedroom and no other rooms, however there is a small gap about a fists size in height that does span over to the next two rooms which are the bathroom and another bedroom. As far as we can see that's as far as it goes but in terms of being able to physically check it, impossible; so god knows what's going on down that area. Also for what its worth, we found the property on Zoopla.com and have a private landlord.

So I guess in amongst all this rambling, I'm just sort of wondering where I should turn to next as I feel like I'm kind of running out of options over here. Will me and my partner ever be able to fully settle with our new family here? Is this an issue which is likely to ever be resolved? Will a rat bite me in my sleep and I turn into the rat equivalent of spider man? To be continued...

Also, if you managed to take the time out of your day to get through what feels like a life story, I appreciate your time.
Page 2
    • Mikey26
    • By Mikey26 8th Nov 19, 6:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mikey26
    How awful for you. Have you asked if there was previously a rat problem? I would ask the landlord.
    Originally posted by lookstraightahead

We unfortunately didn't think to ask about any rat issues and what not upon viewing, kind of regret that looking back. In fact we didn't even check the loft area at all, we were so pleased with the house itself it didn't even cross our mind to think of anything rodent related. Lesson learned I suppose, also when asking landlord about any previous rat issues in the past at the property he is adamant he has never had an issue here ever Mind you he was also adamant it was a bat, bird and or squirrelly running around up there; and that was after seeing the mass amount of droppings scattered all over the attic.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 8th Nov 19, 6:52 PM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    I would be out, gone, when you kill them the smell starts, they must have known when they let the house to you
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Nov 19, 6:55 PM
    • 25,670 Posts
    • 25,265 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I would be out, gone, when you kill them the smell starts, they must have known when they let the house to you
    Originally posted by Blackpool_Saver
    So... what would you do if you were an owner-occupier?
    • onwards&upwards
    • By onwards&upwards 8th Nov 19, 6:58 PM
    • 1,332 Posts
    • 2,641 Thanks
    onwards&upwards
    Originally posted by AdrianC

How is that relevant in a post about a rented house?
    • Mikey26
    • By Mikey26 8th Nov 19, 7:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mikey26

We have considered this option, we really don't want to resort to this but with the attic door being near enough directly above our bed in the bedroom we have yet to have a good nights sleep here. My partner also has the odd tantrum over the fact that especially due to being pregnant she should be getting a good solid eight hours sleep without being disturbed, of course this isn't happening and we are constantly being awoke by squeaks, scurries and whatnot. Anyway its been over two weeks now, we are sleeping downstairs in the living room on a sofa bed and are still able to hear the noises loud as ever, they are currently making noise in the nights quite often directly above the stairs (when you reach the top of the stairs look straight up and that's where the noise seems to be loudest now). Bit of an awkward position as there is no doors in between to even dampen that noise from the top of stairs.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 8th Nov 19, 7:07 PM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    Well, I would buy a new build, detached, and away from fields that had been recently disturbed from a natural habitat. I would also take very careful notice of immediate neighbours sanitary habits... I know that would not 100% guarantee a rat free area, but it would certainly minimise the chances.

• AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Nov 19, 7:09 PM
    • 25,670 Posts
    • 25,265 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Well, I would buy a new build, detached
    Meanwhile, in most people's reality...

and away from fields that had been recently disturbed from a natural habitat.
    I think you might be confusing mice and rats.
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 8th Nov 19, 7:09 PM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    We have considered this option, we really don't want to resort to this but with the attic door being near enough directly above our bed in the bedroom we have yet to have a good nights sleep here. My partner also has the odd tantrum over the fact that especially due to being pregnant she should be getting a good solid eight hours sleep without being disturbed, of course this isn't happening and we are constantly being awoke by squeaks, scurries and whatnot. Anyway its been over two weeks now, we are sleeping downstairs in the living room on a sofa bed and are still able to hear the noises loud as ever, they are currently making noise in the nights quite often directly above the stairs (when you reach the top of the stairs look straight up and that's where the noise seems to be loudest now). Bit of an awkward position as there is no doors in between to even dampen that noise from the top of stairs.
    Originally posted by Mikey26

Good lord, get on to your landlord, your poor wife, it's a disgrace.
    You need to move, get them to release you from the contract, get on to environmental health.

• Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 8th Nov 19, 7:12 PM
    • 6,111 Posts
    • 7,733 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    Meanwhile, in most people's reality...

I think you might be confusing mice and rats.

Oh no I am not, I have friends in exactly this position, HUGE fat rats in the garden, living under the sheds, and now it's getting cold....

• lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 8th Nov 19, 8:13 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    My hubbie had rats at his office and that was definitely not his responsibility.
    • lookstraightahead
    • By lookstraightahead 8th Nov 19, 8:15 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 1,340 Thanks
    lookstraightahead
    Definitely check on it more than once a week.

Make it my responsibility
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,476Users online

Martin's Twitter