We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Best gardening tools?

13»

Comments

• unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ah okay, didn't realise that.

I'm from Sheffield - this stuff should be in my blood :beer:

One of the reasons stainless steel took so long to be adopted is that softness. The original application was supposed to be gun barrels for the Royal Navy, but they were deemed to be too prone to wear compared to the traditional (carbon?) steel used in gun barrels.

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • unrecordings
    edited 31 October 2019 at 2:37PM
    NigeWick wrote: »
    They'll last a lifetime. Plus, they won't rust.

And allegedly, using them will put a little bit fo copper in the soil that slugs & snails won't like. I say allegedly as it hasn't worked for me.

I'm not saying anything other than looking at their website made me laugh too. Might have gone a bit overboard on the Greek theme. In the nicest possible way...

However - horses for courses. Every endeavour that needs some kind of implement has fetishes & rituals - for example in my line of work I used to have some bits of equipment that were used on some very influential recordings. Did it make any difference ? Nope - only to me, that little bit of kudos made the process feel all that more special. I think the same for gardening, there's a little intangible something or other attached to those 'favourite' tools we reach for first.

• savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Copper doesn't work I have used copper tape and seen slugs just go over it

NigeWick wrote: »
    They'll last a lifetime. Plus, they won't rust.

And allegedly, using them will put a little bit fo copper in the soil that slugs & snails won't like. I say allegedly as it hasn't worked for me.
  • unrecordings
    edited 31 October 2019 at 4:01PM
    With copper it's the chemical reaction and texture that has the best (though still poor) effect. Laying the tape unevenly to create ridges & creases is the best way of doing this. But think of it as a 'sand in your pants' effect - it probably won't stop you going to the beach...

• Wilkinson Sword sell aluminium tools which are super lightweight. They're aimed at gardeners who do light work, or for old people who might tire from working with heavy tools.

They feel surprisingly sturdy and would likely last a long time.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would add Fiskars tools, brilliant quality, never bent any of their tools.
    I have a Fiskars fish filleting knife and it is superb - razor sharp, takes an edge and is very flexible. About four times cheaper than Global and works better.

https://www.nordicnest.com/brands/fiskars/functional-form-knife/?variantId=23188-06&currency=GBP&countryCode=GB&gclid=CjwKCAjw0vTtBRBREiwA3URt7pSkb-N0ZgBFapJFBhk41tJ2wQ0PQ3spKLt_JZpZn_AlhfDCqTWOehoCHwUQAvD_BwE
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    andygb wrote: »
    I snapped a pair of their geared loppers. :o

However, I replaced them with a Fiskars pair that has no gears, so less chance of me using too much force.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    BestBoy wrote: »
    Wilkinson Sword sell aluminium tools.
    Good if left out in the rain too.

Some time in the 1980s, I bought an aluminium-handled rake in Boots for £3. We are still using it.
  • andygb wrote: »

The Fiskars fork I bought last year definitely wasn't brilliant quality, one of the tines bent the second time I used it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure