Rescue dogs - PUPPY

What are the positives of buying a rescue dog?

Myself and my partner are looking at having a dog, and Are contemplating rescue dogs. Now apart from the obvious ‘good dead’, what other positives are there? Is it cheaper, do they all come vaccinated? Ect...

But the main thing is- We Want A Puppy, a young puppy.

Many thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think it will depend which 'rescue' you are using: there are breed rescues and local rescues and broadly national organisations such as The Dogs Trust, and they will all have their own standards and requirements.

I'd hope that any organisation would check your suitability to take on a dog, and particularly as you want a puppy, given that a puppy is a far bigger commitment than a dog. There may also be a much longer wait for a puppy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 November 2019 at 9:08PM
    Just as an example of the needs of puppies, see this thread. I don't think you could argue that one puppy would be much less work than two: you have got to be prepared to put a LOT of time into training.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    A rescue dog is likely to come with vaccinations, micro chip already in place, as well as, maybe, housetrained, some basic training and being used to being in a house, left alone...... a whole lot of bonuses. They probably will come some/ a lot cheaper as you will be contributing to the running of a rescue centre rather than (possibly) the profit of a breeder.
    Sometimes puppies come into rescue.

Much as I would love a puppy they are a HUGE amount of work. At the start you need to be with them all the time so you can put them outside every hour or so. Puppies do not bring up themselves!!

I have had my most recent rescue dogs at age:- 3 @ 2year olds, and 1 @ 14 months. The last was an awkward teenager, the other 3 were still very lively but not hard work and they became house trained within a couple of months.

Have fun
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    And a different thought.
    People importing young puppies of certain desirable breeds rely on the fact that 'Joe Bloggs' sees a bargain cheaper fluffy cute puppy and can fall into the trap of purchasing a pup that has come from a puppy farm, been imported illegally, and is too young to have left it's mother.

If you decide on a puppy the breeder should ask , possibly, more questions than you- checking that you have a suitable environment. Never buy from adverts in the local press, meet in a car park, pub etc...... Minefield.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure