Shared supply pipe issue

Options
Mav32
Mav32 Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi all,

I have a shared supply pipe which enters my terraced property. Doing some renovation works, my builder accidentally bent a pipe in the garden (which I was not aware was even there) , I came to the realisation that the pipe was linked to 3 of my neighbours whom were without water when that happened!

Having the kitchen dug up now, I found a great long led pipe from that garden pipe leading to the front of the house.

I've already contacted Thames Water before any of this even happening or realising what was there and payed just over £1,000 for my own supply.

I have a few questions on this and wondering if you can help:

1) I read somewhere that having led pipes should/can be removed and that Thames water should install a new supply (to the boundary) for free. Internal works done by me of course. So there was no need for me to pay Thames Water? Although they did not know I have a led pipe. Neither did I to be fair at the time.

2) When I seperate the existing shared pipe to my own, what happens to that shared pipe? I don't want to have a shared pipe entering my property and being responsible for 3 of my neighbours!

I'd really appreciate the advice here as I'm lost (especially on point two) as I don't know where the responsibility lies and how Thames Water will cooperate. As the pipe is in my property they might say its my responsibility but surely it shouldn't be the responsibility for 3 of my neighbours as well?!

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't know how it works with water, but I would have thought that if you have paid £1000 to have your own supply then it should no longer be shared and therefore you should not be responsible for your neighbours' supplies if anything goes wrong with them.

Only Thames can really anwer your query so they would be the people to contact - also ask about the lead supply pipes, did they change them when they gave you your own supply, or are they still there?
  • Mav32
    Options
    Thank you very much for your response.

Well Thames Water (developer services) were not really helpful. They pretty much said (and the lady I spoke to was in a foul mood) , as I'm getting a new supply pipe I need to just connect the new one and leave the existing shared pipe run through my garden, as it's on private property they won't do anything!

What I find ridiculous is, what happens if there is an issue with the shared pipe in my garden? As its on my property I take it I would be liable for this?

I guess the situation I have experienced regarding the builders accidentally stopping the water to the shared pipe for the neighbours has left me a bit uncomfortable. I know this is unlikely to happen again as the works happening will just build over it but still, could neighbours look for compensation here? :(
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So basically they have took £1000 off you for nothing - reading your reply you still have a shared supply and do not have your own for which you paid £1,000.

My next step here would be to write to them a letter headed COMPLAINT stating that £1,000 had been paid as an agreed amount for a separate supply, not a shared one, and asking when the agreed separate supply which has been paid for will be supplied.

Also mention the lead pipes and ask when they will be removed and you could also ask where your water meter - all new supplies now must have one - was positioned, is it measuring just your or both properties on the shared supply?
    That's if they bothered to fit one and that's what they charged all that money for.
  • Mav32
    Options
    I'm sorry!

I didn't mention that the £1000 will get me my own supply but when they install it, the shared supply will still remain to be there, just going through to my property and into my neighbours. Even though I'm not using that supply anymore. If that make sense?

My issue is, I don't really want a pipe going through to my property even though I'm not using it just for my neighbours. Thames water just states as its private property, its nothing to do with them.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    Its a private issue unfortunately , TW are not responsible for pipes after the public highway, your best bet is to reroute it around the new extension using mdpe plastic pipe
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Presumably none of the 4 houses were metered?

Have Thames insisted you now have a meter?
  • Mav32
    Options
    Sorry for the lateness. Yes, I don't believe they were metered but now they (Thames Water) want it to be. Although, they mentioned on the phone that it's in Thames Water's plan to have all supplies metered in the next few years. Of course, this is probably for new installations and doing every house that is already not metered would prove more than difficult.

Just to close of this question an if there is anyone who's as unlucky as me, I'll explain what was done.

As per Deano's post (thanks Deano) an MDPE pipe was rerouted for my neighbours. I will now have my own supply entering my property and the existing shared supply will be stopped for me but functional for everyone else. The only annoying thing is that the shared supply is still underneath my property as it couldn't be rerouted any other way but as mentioned, it's private land and Thames Water won't touch it. Anyway, not my problem anymore. Thanks to everyone's contribution here!
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Mav32 wrote: »
    Sorry for the lateness. Yes, I don't believe they were metered but now they (Thames Water) want it to be. Although, they mentioned on the phone that it's in Thames Water's plan to have all supplies metered in the next few years. Of course, this is probably for new installations and doing every house that is already not metered would prove more than difficult.

It has been mandatory for meters to be fitted to all new properties since April 1990. Don't forget that Rateable Value(RV)stopped being awarded after that date.

All water companies can insist on a meter being fitted on change of occupant. They can apply to make meters mandatory in all houses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure