Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dllive
    • By dllive 23rd Apr 19, 1:40 PM
    • 491Posts
    • 40Thanks
    dllive
    Musicmagpie.co.uk is lying to me!
    • 23rd Apr 19, 1:40 PM
    Musicmagpie.co.uk is lying to me! 23rd Apr 19 at 1:40 PM
    Hi

I had a perfectly god phone that I wanted to sell. I sent it to musicmagpie.co.uk. Ive just had an email saying that theres liquid damage on the screen and they will only offer me £3!!!

I know the phone was perfectly fine - there was nothing wrong with the screen (no white dots/no dead pixels etc...).

Is this what they do? Has anyone else had experience with them? Ive sold a few old mobiles with mazuma etc and never had any problems.

Thanks
Page 2
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 11th May 19, 9:11 AM
    • 8,269 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Yep. Not only that, but then MM tries to take down my 1 star review on Trust Pilot and lies about me never being a customer! (btw I still havnt heard back from them since I gave them proof I was a customer of theirs). Im going to contact Trading Standards this week. I have evidence they lied about the condition of the phones and then lied again about me not being a customer.
    Originally posted by dllive
    Do you really think they will care, that alone do anything? They are generally a waste of time.
    • dllive
    • By dllive 11th May 19, 12:40 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    dllive
    Do you really think they will care, that alone do anything? They are generally a waste of time.
    Originally posted by mobilejunkie
    Hmm, I fear you may be right
    • xNaomi
    • By xNaomi 15th May 19, 6:21 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    xNaomi
    I've just sent a macbook to them. Very good condition, few signs of normal wear and tear. Worked perfectly. They've just dropped my offer from £190 to £18 as apparently the lid hinge is broken (it was fine when I sent it yesterday and no signs of weakness).

I'm obviously not going to take their offer as the laptop is worth a lot more than that. Hoping when they send it back that it wont be broken but really dont think this will be the case. Dont know how they are allowed to get away with this
    • dllive
    • By dllive 15th May 19, 6:36 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    dllive
    I've just sent a macbook to them. Very good condition, few signs of normal wear and tear. Worked perfectly. They've just dropped my offer from £190 to £18 as apparently the lid hinge is broken (it was fine when I sent it yesterday and no signs of weakness).

I'm obviously not going to take their offer as the laptop is worth a lot more than that. Hoping when they send it back that it wont be broken but really dont think this will be the case. Dont know how they are allowed to get away with this
    Originally posted by xNaomi
    Well, if it was like as in my case, youll get your laptop back fine. Youll then sell it to another company and they will be no problem.

That reminds me: I havnt contacted Trading Standards yet! (Been busy). Ive put that on my list of chores to do tomorrow. Thanks! (Best of luck with your laptop)
    • Tea spiller
    • By Tea spiller 15th May 19, 8:07 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tea spiller
    It is high level fraud, check the feedback on trustpilot 1star & you will find plenty of identical experiences. Majority of people get their devices back with no sign of issue quoted.

I do think MSE should refrain from putting the deals on the website, they need to be starved into acting right. Plaster your experience on social media also.
    Last edited by Tea spiller; 15-05-2019 at 8:46 PM. Reason: spelling error
    • AndyP1957
    • By AndyP1957 4th Jun 19, 1:25 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AndyP1957
    As I have suggested elsewhere on here - report them to Trading Standards - far too many complaints of similar nature exist

And report them to programs like BBCs Watchdog - if enough complain they will take it further in all likelihood
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Jun 19, 1:17 PM
    • 8,078 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    d123
    Just sold my old iPad to MusicMagpie, I posted it to them last Thursday, received by them yesterday and cash showing in my bank this morning.

Completely trouble free transaction (and they paid significantly more than what the others were offering).
    ====
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 11th Jun 19, 3:51 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    davethorp
    I’ve sold many things to music magpie over the last year or so and the only issue I’ve ever had with them is them not always paying out on the day they receive the item and sometimes paying out a few days later despite claiming to send payment on the day they receive the items

I have never had music magpie try to reduce the value of anything I have sold to them even though I was expecting it on some things I have sold them due to lots of scratches or the like. They have always paid the quoted price to me

• ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 11th Jun 19, 7:15 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 2,303 Thanks
    ballyblack
    And report them to programs like BBCs Watchdog - if enough complain they will take it further in all likelihood
    They will not be interested..........remember you are trying to off load 2nd hand goods to them..........they are dodgy sellers to them also!!
    • Alex2011
    • By Alex2011 16th Jun 19, 4:42 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Alex2011
    Had similar issue, sent the iPhone locked to EE network, they come back to me telling that phone is unlocked therefore they will pay £15 less, no way is acceptable as unlocked phones normally cost more and phone is definitely locked to EE and never was unlocked, so requested to return my phone back and two weeks later managed to get original fee as they promised as it seems to me every operator telling different lies, so I have mentioned on last call do I need to report their company to police? as clearly they do try to scam people and my phone was lost, so last operator spoke to manager and they did paid me as agreed within 24 hours.

Based on experience I will never use them again as they are scam artists!
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 16th Jun 19, 5:06 PM
    • 8,269 Posts
    • 2,862 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Get real. Why do people often think the police would be in the slightest bit interested?? Laughable.
    • d123
    • By d123 16th Jun 19, 6:14 PM
    • 8,078 Posts
    • 5,270 Thanks
    d123
    Had similar issue, sent the iPhone locked to EE network, they come back to me telling that phone is unlocked therefore they will pay £15 less, no way is acceptable as unlocked phones normally cost more and phone is definitely locked to EE and never was unlocked, so requested to return my phone back and two weeks later managed to get original fee as they promised as it seems to me every operator telling different lies, so I have mentioned on last call do I need to report their company to police? as clearly they do try to scam people and my phone was lost, so last operator spoke to manager and they did paid me as agreed within 24 hours.

Based on experience I will never use them again as they are scam artists!
    Originally posted by Alex2011
    Firstly you’re living in a dreamland if you think anything you’ve written would be of any interest to the police.

Secondly, I suspect you’ve either misunderstood something or misrepresented the situation, a quick check of a few iPhones shows that they pay more for the unlocked versions than the EE locked versions.

Could you post up a screenshot of the email to show what they actually said (after redacting your name and order number, of course)?
    ====
    • Fatbrain
    • By Fatbrain 22nd Aug 19, 4:45 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Fatbrain
    Not impressed with the Magpie
    I sent a 10 month old Samsung S8 to Music Magpie. The phone was in perfect condition. But 2 days later I got a message that there were some pixels missing so they would offer me £300 less. I asked them to return the phone.

It seems they quote the highest price online, only for them to find faults and reduce the amount payable. I would have believed my phone was faulty if it wasn't for the posts on here, which makes me wonder if this is their customary policy.

Avoid!
    • Bitton
    • By Bitton 8th Nov 19, 11:34 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bitton
    Urgh...

A few years back I used MM for dvds and got an ok price and had no issues, so in October I got a decent price for my Xbox and sent it in. Took ages to process and several emails chasing them up. Finally got a reply stating that it was faulty and they reduced the price by half.
    Naturally i requested a send back, which they did....only it was not my Xbox they sent.

I was able to prove my S/N and that the machine returned was not mine, MM claim it is. I am currently going through legal channels to recover whats owed.

Lesson learnt....always check. I can not believe the company has fallen so low in the last few years.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 8th Nov 19, 6:10 PM
    • 566 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    cranford
    Looked online to sell my samsung S7. Best price was £81 but got £100.20 from CEX in my local high street, result.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Nov 19, 6:14 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    only it was not my Xbox they sent.
    Originally posted by Bitton
    Bait & Switch seems to be a Music Magpie speciality.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

2,250Users online

Martin's Twitter