How often should I get my car serviced?

Comments

• You could pump out pas and brake fluid and top it up, no hasstle each year. Some services are about 100 000 miles like timing belt change, or gear oil fluid, or at least top it up.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    Definitely no carburetors these days - thank God. ;)

12K miles or 12 months is a good rule of thumb for an oil and oil-filter change.

Cabin/pollen filter and air filter needs changed then too - despite what many manufacturers say.

If you don't drive far out of UK (e.g. to the outer regions of the EU where fuel quality and cleanliness can be questionable) then a fuel filter change around 60K miles would be fine.

Brake fluid needs a change after first 3 years then every 2 years.

Don't rely on any garage service checking the tyre pressures - you should be checking them yourself anyway every 2 weeks or so.

Swapping tyres around to equalise wear seems to be a thing of the past too - plus it's not possible on many cars due to front and rewar having different tyre sizes.

is the brake fluid fitted by the manufacturer better than the replacement stuff?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Peugeot 308 is every 2 years or 20,000 miles.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    is the brake fluid fitted by the manufacturer better than the replacement stuff?

Doesn't that depend on what 'replacement stuff' you buy..

None the less brake fluid isn't the lifetime component many treat it as
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite
    arcon5 wrote: »

It is on my cars.
  • arcon5 wrote: »

http://www.automec.co.uk/collections/brake-fluid/products/silicone-dot-5-brake-clutch-fluid

It can be. I've had this in my 1962 Morris Minor (good weather car, non daily driver) for 10 years. However the whole braking system was replaced prior to it's use. I believe it can cause problems with rubber seals if it just replaces an existing fluid without renewing all the seals first.
  • Servicing is always every x miles or y months, whichever comes first ( e.g. 12,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first ). Your handbook will tell you.

A minor service is ( on most cars ) well within the scope of anyone with a modicum of DIY experience - it consists of little more than replacing oil and various filters ( again, the handbook / service book will tell you exactly what's required and when ). Even if you're not confident in doing this yourself, if the car's out of warranty then it's a very simple job for a decent independent mechanic, who will charge far less than a main dealer. Actually, there's no reason a local mechanic can't service it even when it is under warranty - as long as he's VAT registered and uses genuine parts then the manufacturer must honour the warranty. But that's a different discussion :)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Maureen43 wrote: »
    I'm hoping you will say less often as that will save me a shed load of money!

M.
    If you skip servicing then in the long run it won't save you money but cost more. Unless your 8000 miles is done on the motorway for long distances then your engine will need annual servicing for short distance driving done from cold. Skip servicing and it's more likely to cause other issues and other items are likely to still need to be done on time based intervals not distance. At least things like brakes will only need doing when worn.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • I've never really had such a new car but I always get my cars serviced twice a year; once at the MOt, once 6 months from then.

We've hardly ever broken down, and always feel safe - both cars did nearly 20,000 a year.

However, my new car tells me when it needs a service (10,000 miles or 365 days, whichever is first), so I'll just get it done when it tells me to.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    nickcc wrote: »
    Peugeot 308 is every 2 years or 20,000 miles.

I was quite surprised at that but you are right http://www.servicing.peugeot.co.uk/peugeot-interim-service/

Seems to go against changing oil and filter every year although they do suggest an interim service for peace of mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure