20+ TV MoneySaving tricks - including how to watch The Crown for FREE

Options
MSE_Sarah
MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 21 November 2019 at 6:23PM in TV MoneySaving
With the nights drawing in and the launch of two major new streaming services - Britbox and Apple TV+ - we've been thinking about the best ways to save on watching TV. Whether you're a Netflix addict, Sky TV customer or just watch Freeview, here are some of our best tips and tricks to cut the cost.

Read the full blog: TV MoneySaving tricks - including how to watch The Crown for FREE, make the most of Freeview and save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV & more

Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• saverbynature
    Options
    Hi MSE Sarah. As a big tennis fan it is annoying that so little is now shown on "terrestial" TV" and I'm having to subscribe to Amazon Prime Video who have most of the UK rights from 2020 and Eurosport Player for a few tournaments a year. In both cases I am surrently watching online on a laptop as my TV is ancient.

At various times in the year Eurosport Player offers deals on their annual pass which works out less than buying seperate monthly passes for the few tournaments they have rights to. ( I got one on Black Friday last year). And on Amazon Prime Day back in July Amazon offered annual membership for £20 less than usual.

It would be great if MSE could keep an eye out for deals offered by these companies and advise followers when they do.

Many thanks
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ha Ha, see it free by getting a free introductory month, no shxx sherlock!
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to cancel Now TV & got it for £1.60 pm for 3 months.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • lovetohate92
    Options
    The programs we watch have started up again, so I bought a one month voucher for Now TV from Amazon for £3.89. After adding the voucher I went to cancel it from auto renewing and they offered £1.60 a month for three months. So £8.69 for 4 months, instead of £35.96.
  • furryh
    Options
    I didn't get a black friday deal offer for my movies pass (11.99 a month) and went to cancel. Have been given £2.40 a month for 3 months through the automated cancel system.
  • Goldfish65
    Options
    Freeview Play recorders are superior to You View in my opinion to get the best out of Freeview.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I see no difference at all in Youview recording Freeview .
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's an app on LG Smart TV called TheArchive (presumably other platforms too) that has lots of free movies, some in 4k. I haven't sat through a whole movie yet but no advertising I can see. Majority of the films are rather obscure. There's a few John Wayne films.
  • Chris47
    Options
    Quote:  Important: You'll usually have to enter debit or credit card details, and the subscription will auto-renew, so mark it in your diary to cancel if you don't want to continue.   All the free trials I have had allows you to cancel immediately after registering for a free month's trial so you won't be charged but you still get the free month. No need for a diary entry!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If you have the Freeview play app on your tv then there is loads of stuff. You can search by category for everything that is available on Freeview catchups. You don’t need an Ariel!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback