Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jem170884
    Vista compatable microsoft office?
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:32 PM
    Vista compatable microsoft office? 29th Mar 08 at 10:32 PM
    I have just got a new PC which has vista but doesn't have microsoft office, is office 2003 compatable or do I need to buy 2007?

Also I have looked aroung and 2007 is over £100! But I have found a site which is selling office 2007 for £39.99, but is downloadable, no actual disk! Am I right to weary? Has anyone else used this site? Would anyone not use this site?? Please Help!!!
    Last edited by jem170884; 29-03-2008 at 10:44 PM.
    I'll get you debts and your little dog too!!!

And best of luck to all the other debt busters out there!!
Page 1
    • d123
    • By d123 29th Mar 08, 10:38 PM
    • 7,586 Posts
    • 4,907 Thanks
    d123
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:38 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:38 PM
    Office 2007 is compatible with Vista, I'm pretty sure I bought mine via a download, just pay with Paypal or a CC and go for a refund if the actvation code doesn't work.
    ====
  • Conor
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:41 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:41 PM
    2003. Yes I'd be weary. This bit sounds massive alarm bells for me:
    • Q.)Do I have to register and will I receive updates?
    • A.)You donot need to register as the software comes pre-registered. All software updates are installed automatically after installing the software.
    • Q.) How many computers can I install this software on?
    • A.)The software comes as multi-licensed, hence you can install on multiple computers provided that you use them for personal purposes.
    Pre-activated is the most common form of pirated Vista/Office 2k7. Only the volume licence versions are multi-licence and they ain't cheap. If in doubt, give Microsoft a ring and see what they have to say about it.
    • withabix
    • By withabix 29th Mar 08, 10:42 PM
    • 8,959 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:42 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:42 PM
    I have just got a new PC which has vista but doesn't have microsoft office, is office 2003 compatable or do I need to buy 2007?

Also I have looked aroung and 2007 is over £100! But I have found a site:
    http://www.eggsh1tware.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which is selling office 2007 for £39.99, but is downloadable, no actual disk! Am I right to weary? Has anyone else used this site? Would anyone not use this site?? Please Help!!!
    Originally posted by jem170884
    NO NO NO!!!

Eggsoftware is a PIRATE SOFTWARE site. Do not buy from there.

Please delete the link from your post to protect others.

The only place that Microsoft allow you to legally download their software from is MICROSOFT. Full Stop.
    Last edited by withabix; 29-03-2008 at 11:03 PM.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • jem170884
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:43 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 10:43 PM
    So am I right in thinking 2003 is compatable?
    I'll get you debts and your little dog too!!!

And best of luck to all the other debt busters out there!!
  • cookie_monster
    • 29th Mar 08, 11:00 PM
    • 29th Mar 08, 11:00 PM
    yes it is. i installed it the other day on my new vists lappy no probs.

servuce pack updates came through no problem
    • leboof
    • By leboof 30th Mar 08, 9:19 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    leboof
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:19 AM
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:19 AM
    Consider Open Office, it's free and very similar. It can also read and write Office documents.

http://www.openoffice.org/

I've been using it on Vista for a while now without any issues. Couldn't afford MS Office.
    Can anyone explain to me how to put a signature here?
    • donny-gal
    • By donny-gal 30th Mar 08, 9:43 AM
    • 4,595 Posts
    • 38,147 Thanks
    donny-gal
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:43 AM
    • 30th Mar 08, 9:43 AM
    I've been using Office 2003 for months now with Vista - no problems.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
    • Riq
    • By Riq 30th Mar 08, 11:57 AM
    • 9,710 Posts
    • 8,219 Thanks
    Riq
    • 30th Mar 08, 11:57 AM
    • 30th Mar 08, 11:57 AM
    2003 is okay with Vista as I am using it now.

If you have a student in your family you can get the Ultimate Edition (500 worth or something equally shocking) for about 40.
    "I'm not from around here, I have my own customs"
    For confirmation: No, I'm not a 40 year old woman, I'm a 26 year old bloke!
  • mrms
    Hi OP, I work for Microsoft and yes, you are very right to be weary. The ONLY place you can legally download Microsoft Office is directly from Microsoft, and IIRC, it's a only for trial period.

You'll also notice on that site that if you follow through to checkout, there's a postage charge involved. Bit odd when you're buying a download.

It also says it's a OEM version, which is not meant for buying for personal usage, so another contradiction.

And ALL Microsoft software requires registration at the point of installation.

This software is pirated and I will be reporting the site on Monday morning.

Edited to remove slight inaccuracy about licensing, as pointed out by Robt and Superscaper further down the page
    Last edited by mrms; 30-03-2008 at 8:12 PM.
    • fox2319
    • By fox2319 30th Mar 08, 12:11 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    fox2319
    Contrary to what mrms says, registered students ()or those with a .ac.uk address anyway) can get a legal copy for under 40 from http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/

Cheers

Jeff
    Space for rent, apply within - Free trial on Thanks button though
    • jmc160
    • By jmc160 30th Mar 08, 12:17 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 407 Thanks
    jmc160
    Contrary to what mrms says, registered students ()or those with a .ac.uk address anyway) can get a legal copy for under £40 from http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/

Cheers

Jeff
    Originally posted by fox2319
    Wasn't there another site where you could get a really good price without having to have a .ac.uk email address?
    Last edited by jmc160; 30-03-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
    --
    Marty Feldman
  • mrms
    Contrary to what mrms says, registered students ()or those with a .ac.uk address anyway) can get a legal copy for under 40 from http://www.theultimatesteal.co.uk/

Cheers

Jeff
    Originally posted by fox2319
    You're still downloading a trial, you're just buying a license and activating it fully.

Plus that site is hosted my Microsoft, so I'm still right!
    • superscaper
    • By superscaper 30th Mar 08, 12:37 PM
    • 12,625 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    Wasn't there another site where you could get a really good price without having to have a .ac.uk email address?
    Originally posted by jmc160
    http://www.software4students.co.uk/

Still have to be a student but can be at school etc, just see the FAQ.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • robt
    Also, Microsoft office is only available as single licensed software, meaning it can be installed on one computer only, unless it is site licensed, which is extremely expensive and comes with a volume license key.
    Originally posted by mrms
    Are you sure about that?
    • superscaper
    • By superscaper 30th Mar 08, 2:05 PM
    • 12,625 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    Are you sure about that?
    Originally posted by robt
    Yeah I thought the home and student edition came with 3 licenses. And even a single license allows you to install on a computer and a laptop.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • mrms
    Yeah I thought the home and student edition came with 3 licenses. And even a single license allows you to install on a computer and a laptop.
    Originally posted by superscaper
    You're absolutely right. Sorry about that! I deal with volume licensed software at work so I don't really get to see things like Home & Student Edition.

I'll edit my other post so as not to mislead.
    • hubris
    • By hubris 1st Apr 08, 9:33 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    hubris
    2003 is okay with Vista as I am using it now.

If you have a student in your family you can get the Ultimate Edition (500 worth or something equally shocking) for about 40.
    Originally posted by Riq
    Is it 'worth' ~500? If so, that's only because people are willing to pay that price. A few years ago, I bought the student edition of Microsoft Office for about 100, a few months before I was due to graduate. The licensing meant that I would have to pay for the full version after that. I immediately returned it, and used OpenOffice ( www.openoffice.org ) since. OpenOffice has no licensing restrictions, you can install on as many machines as you want, is cross platform, and you can also run it off a USB key http://portableapps.com , so I'm sure any person at School/University/Anybody with a flash memory device can have it.

Think how many millions in tax/education/university fees could be saved if Schools/Universities/Hospitals/Government used OpenOffice. See http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7409
    • superscaper
    • By superscaper 1st Apr 08, 9:52 PM
    • 12,625 Posts
    • 8,800 Thanks
    superscaper
    Is it 'worth' ~£500? If so, that's only because people are willing to pay that price. A few years ago, I bought the student edition of Microsoft Office for about £100,
    Originally posted by hubris
    Not the same thing. The deal Riq mentioned is the full retail license and can be used perpetually after you stop being a student. It's not a student license but the "proper" retail Ultimate license sold at a discount for students. And Office 2007 is much better than Open Office IMHO anyway. I do use OO as a portable version on my flash drive and while it is decent it's only as good as Office 2003. And of course it doesn't include equivalents to Publisher, Outlook and Onenote.
    Last edited by superscaper; 01-04-2008 at 9:59 PM.
    Moss
  • gillianandterry

Also I have looked aroung and 2007 is over 100! But I have found a site which is selling office 2007 for 39.99, but is downloadable, no actual disk! Am I right to weary? Has anyone else used this site? Would anyone not use this site?? Please Help!!!
    Originally posted by jem170884
    yes its compatable i have installed it on my laptop and it runs ok
    Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine, into your brain, and that's where you get s****y ideas from.
    Hello and good bye....
    Banked 480.00for christmas 2010
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

106Posts Today

1,539Users online

Martin's Twitter