Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • badgermonkey
    • By badgermonkey 1st Oct 05, 9:11 PM
    • 165Posts
    • 63Thanks
    badgermonkey
    Crocheters unite!
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:11 PM
    Crocheters unite! 1st Oct 05 at 9:11 PM
    I started crocheting a couple of weeks ago, and I love it! But it's so underrated - usually given a cursory nod on sites/in books about knitting, which I hate because I am not co-ordinated enough.

I have made myself a scarf so far which is gorgeous, and am currently working on one for the BF. After that I might try something more adventurous - would like one of those shrug things that are in all the shops right now.

So this is the crochet thread. I know I'm not the only one! I would love some info on where are good places to buy wool, etc online or IRL as I am finding this oddly difficult.

If you have joined us from the book:-

Welcome

Pull up a nice comfy chair, have a drink of your choice
    beside you, and be prepared for a long and interesting
    read. Many new visitors frequently find that they have
    all spent hours browsing the fascinating posts and help
    that is to be found here on Moneysaving Old Style.

If you'd like to read more on all sorts of subjects then do
    please click on the link below:-

Money Saving Old Style

Please scroll down for more on crochet

(Board Guides are asked not to merge these threads in order to preserve links from the book)
    Last edited by squeaky; 23-01-2007 at 6:14 AM.
Page 1
    • skylight
    • By skylight 1st Oct 05, 9:12 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:12 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:12 PM
    I would love to do this, but don't know where to start.........

Get a book needle and wool - or find someone to show me?
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 1st Oct 05, 9:14 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:14 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:14 PM
    This takes me back! I crocheted a tablecloth when I was much younger, it was only about 1 metre square but it took forever!
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 1st Oct 05, 9:16 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:16 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:16 PM
    I was taught to crochet as a child and still like to crochet.
    • badgermonkey
    • By badgermonkey 1st Oct 05, 9:17 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    badgermonkey
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:17 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:17 PM
    It's so, so easy to do. I am a complete dunce at knitting but crochet is easy - there are only a few stitches you need to know and I learnt them from a book I got at the library. I also happen to think crocheted things are much more interesting than knitted stuff.

I started on a 4mm hook which cost the grand total of 85p, and I bought DK (double knitting) wool for 90p a ball from the market to practice with.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 1st Oct 05, 9:21 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:21 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:21 PM
    Just checked out Ebay (as I do!!) and whats the difference between crochet cotton and wool? Thinner stuff or just relevant to the pattern?

And I'll get a book from the Library me thinks!
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 1st Oct 05, 9:23 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:23 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:23 PM
    crochet cotton is the stuff that tablemats and tablecloths are made from, it's thinner than double knitting wool
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 1st Oct 05, 9:28 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:28 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:28 PM
    Ohhh, I've not crocheted in years!!!

I used to make all sorts, including a lovely shawl for my first born, which got handed down to the others, and I'm sure I've still got it somewhere!

Hey, hang on a minute, I aint old enough to be getting out the knitting needles and crochet hooks again just yet
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Caterina
    • By Caterina 1st Oct 05, 9:34 PM
    • 5,755 Posts
    • 39,783 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:34 PM
    • 1st Oct 05, 9:34 PM
    Hi

I am so glad to see a crocheters' thread! I have started crocheting a few weeks ago in a crafts camp and haven't stopped since!

I have made a few hats for my teenage kids and their friends - now apparently a lot of other kids in their school want me to make one and want to buy them! I'm not going to leave the day job though as my daughter told me they are only willing to pay 10 - and it takes me 3 hours to make a hat - so I am using this as practice and the money that I will make (If it turns up that is!) will buy me good wool for my personal projects!

At the moment I have loads of wool that I bought very cheap from a charity shop but I am always on the outlook for decent wool at a good price.

I have also made a scarf for my son and nearly finished one for my daughter.

We should have a crocheters' meet!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • badgermonkey
    • By badgermonkey 1st Oct 05, 9:37 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    badgermonkey
    Oi, C_Q, age has nothing to do with it! I'm 25!!!

Actually I like doing something nobody my age does. Never was one to go with the crowd
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 1st Oct 05, 9:42 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Oi, C_Q, age has nothing to do with it! I'm 25!!!

Actually I like doing something nobody my age does. Never was one to go with the crowd
    by badgermonkey

Good for you!

It's one of those things you do as a kid/teenager cos granny teaches you how, but then it becomes un-kewl to do again until you reach grannies age

Only joking, I think it's great and might actually look into getting myself a hook and some wool now I've been reminded of it, if I can remember how to do it that is
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• tootles
    I learnt to crochet from a book too, made a couple of matinee coats for my youngest son, as I also knitted always had wool and made several shawls and blankets.

I was in the US in 2000 staying with a friend, bought the wool to make an Afghan, it was a wave design, I managed to finish it on the plane on the way home. Had some wool left over and when a friend was diagnosed with bowel cancer made her a blanket too, she also had a couple of quilts, one of which was wrapped round her when she was buried,

I do prefer quilting but on odd occasions have been known to get out the crochet hook to make more blankets. Have run out of wool now and heaven knows where my hooks are, dare say I will come across them one day.
    • badgermonkey
    • By badgermonkey 1st Oct 05, 9:57 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    badgermonkey
    I might make a blanket one day - afghan squares are really addictive.

I took my crochet on the train to work the other day and two old women starting cooing over it and saying it was "lovely to see a young girl (!) like you crocheting".

See, I have the Old Lady Seal of Approval (very OS!)
    • pol
    • By pol 2nd Oct 05, 12:02 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    I'm a knitter of many years who has taken up crochet again recently. There are loads of books in the library just now. Seems to be fashionable to add crocheted collars, frills and cuffs to your own clothes this year, not to mention afghans/scarves and wraps!

If anyone wants to learn to crochet, you could try this,

http://www.fceasyknitting.com/tech/learnc.html

pol
  • xxbutterflygirlxx
    I love crocheting too! I could never learn and then I found a brilliant little book called 'first steps in crochet' a few years ago and learnt from that in no time. Ebay usually has it for about 1. I like how you can make really intricate looking stuff in no time and it is so easy.
    Here is a link for you Badgermonkey (if it works) http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6750
    I have never done a link before so I have no idea if it is going to work.
    • badgermonkey
    • By badgermonkey 2nd Oct 05, 4:11 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    badgermonkey
    I found that forum a couple of days ago! It's really useful.
  • xxbutterflygirlxx
    Fantastic isn't it? A bit like this one though, very addictive! I made the shrug I linked to and it is so simple and really gorgeous.
  • caffeinehit
    I'm a knitter, I'm afraid (sorry, I'll go away in a moment) but I've always found the best and cheapest places to buy wool are the sort of covered indoor market places that you find in most slightly shabby suburbs (like mine). The sort that open every day and have lots of stalls selling kitchenware and underwear and scoop-your-own washing powder. And there's usually a wool stall in there as well.

Definitely agree with the bit about it being a great conversation opener with old people on trains!
    • libra10
    • By libra10 2nd Oct 05, 6:46 PM
    • 10,736 Posts
    • 218,243 Thanks
    libra10
    I also used to do crochet quite a lot, making dolls' clothes, baby clothes and shawls. The great thing about crocheting is that it grows much more quickly than knitting, and if you are travelling, the small crochet hook takes up much less room than a pair of needles.

I also had a go at making tiny place mats and doilies - might dig out my ancient old hook and have another bash.
  • sheng719
    I don't think crochet is for old farts only...it can be a thing of the younger generation...I'm only on my late 20s but I love crocheting...I have tried knitting but just couldn't get the nack of it. My other half is actually amazed how fast i crochet....I have done a lot of things before like table covers, doll dress for barbie and cushion covers...It's nice that we now have a forum for this thing...Books wouldn't be a problem as access to a public library is an advantage...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2012 #1502

Debt free by 2014, hopefully earlier...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin