Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 28th Feb 08, 9:05 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 28th Feb 08, 9:05 AM
    March 2008 Grocery Challenge 28th Feb 08 at 9:05 AM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2008. Where is the time going? :confused:

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope it's a good month for everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-02-2008 at 9:09 AM.
Page 59
    • findingmyfeet
    • By findingmyfeet 13th Mar 08, 3:14 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    findingmyfeet
    hi all,
    feeling self righteous once again ( it wont last much longer i'm sure ). Just had another baking session whilst everyone out, and just managed to get most in the freezer before they start getting in. Made tortillas (thanks mrs M once again, saving an absolute fortune on those, going through 16 a week in pack ups. ) alson fruit loaf, bread rolls and JAYNCEC- thanks for the brownie recipe. Just come out the oven and had one hot with a coffee (diet blown again.. but i had to see if I would make them again!!!!!) they are really nice. Had all the ingredients in the stroe cupboard, quick and simple to make. Will make more next week for easter and put a spot of chocolate on top and if they lucky a mini egg.

Starting to panic on the money front, seems to be disappearing quickly update sig later., still get to get fresh stuff tomorrow. see how it goes.
    sealed pot member no :435 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 £482.30
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 13th Mar 08, 3:31 PM
    • 27,563 Posts
    • 117,434 Thanks
    candygirl
    Just been to Aldi n got lettuce n grapes(49p), carrots, celery, tomatoes, brown bread, tea cakes, lager!! and lemonades, and it came to £9.22!!It is still cheaper than some supermarkets and the 49p grapes and lettuce were a bargain but a lot of the other prices have shot up hugely, some by 30p per item It can't only be me that's noticing this, as I think a lot of people are fooled by the cheap fruit n veg deals I do begrudge paying 99p for an Aldi loaf though, but tonight couldn't be bothered going anywhere else
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 13th Mar 08, 3:43 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    This is the recipe I use for millionaire’s shortbread

Millionaire’s Shortbread

Ingredients

175g/6 oz plain flour
    125g/4 ½ oz butter cut into small pieces
    50g/1 ¾ oz soft brown sugar sieved
    Topping
    50g/1 ¾ oz butter
    50g/ 1 ¾ oz soft brown sugar
    400g/14oz can condensed milk
    150g/5 ½ oz milk chocolate

1. Grease a 23cm/9inch square cake tin.
    2. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix to form a firm dough.
    3. Press the dough into the prepared tin and pr1ck with a fork.
    4. Bake in a preheated oven 190c/ 375f/ gas5 for 20 minutes until lightly golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
    5. To make the topping place the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a non-stick saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to the boil.
    6. Reduce the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the caramel is pale golden and thick and is coming away from the sides of the pan. Pour the topping over the shortbread base and leave to cool.
    7. When the caramel topping is firm, melt the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Spread the melted chocolate over the topping leave to set in a cool place then cut the shortbread into squares or fingers to serve.

Nikki
    x
    Last edited by angelnikki; 13-03-2008 at 4:40 PM.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 13th Mar 08, 3:48 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 49,952 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Afternoon all,

Spent another €13.18 today...potatoes, apples and bananas...bringing my total to €212.78 which is a bit more than I would like, only got €137.22 to see me to the end of the month, with Easter in between.

Good luck everybody

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 13th Mar 08, 4:24 PM
    • 8,448 Posts
    • 402,753 Thanks
    purplevamp
    Went to the piccies yesterday with the family - I won the tickets on the comps forum on this site , and got some sweets & bottled water from Woolies for £4.30 . But much cheaper than if we got them at the cinema. Also got the two little ones a burger and nuggets from the local kebab man costing £2.99 each (still cheaper than the cinema), so the free tickets ending up costing me £10.28 in snacks .

I've just popped some chocolate cupcakes in the oven using my new silicone cases. They're slightly larger than normal fairy cake cases and I've only made 8. But at least I know they'll be appreciated .

Well, halfway through the month and I think I'm on track. Next weeks shopping will be difficult as we have no car for a big shop, so we'll have to make do with what we've got, I'm sure I can make something healthy!!
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £121,090.26 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ £280 (2018 ~ £350)
    Surveys ~ £215.00 (2018 ~ £287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $119.75 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

“I Love You" "I Know"
  • mumzyof2
    So DH went and did a biggish spending shop. £5.47 for tobacco and filters. £17.92 for pasta, milk, 3 packs sweets, 2 nasty white breads (I had a loaf in BM so he'll have to freeze it) 2 packs mushrooms, 2 lots chrry toms, mozarella, iceberg, 6 tins tuna, mayo, pack peppers, 2 whoopsied organic mangoes (10p each), baking potaoes and bananas.
    I've updated my sig but think we'll scrape through the next 9 days. We have cereal, flour, meat, fish, fresh/dried fruit, and fresh/frozen veg.
    I had hoped to get the budget as far as 31st but doubt it'll happen. 18 days will be pushing it!
    Having said that, every day after 22nd I manage will be quite an achievement!
    Mumzy, your green light is on. What on earth are you doing still up? Go to bed- I'm getting paid to be up (well not right now, I'm on break!).
    I'll try to pop in tomorrow, Kaz.
    Originally posted by Kaz2904
    Hello, 3.40am?? my light was on??? I must of just gone off as kids woke up! Im always on here at that time LMao
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
  • mumzyof2
    I have been shopping today but will update on that later...
    I have made today..

Rice pudding
    Leek and potatoe soup (so thanks to whoever it was who posted the link to recipe)
    Choc Brownies (also thanks again to whoever it was)

Im about to see if got any condensed milk to make millionaires shortbread
    and get chicken out of freezer so i can make chicken pasta soup tomorrow as think kids will love it.
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
    • findingmyfeet
    • By findingmyfeet 13th Mar 08, 5:07 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    findingmyfeet
    I agree with candygirl, aldi is seemingly getter more expensive by the week. A few things keep creeping up each time i go. Still lots of offers and lots of things such as continental cheese and cooked meats loads cheaper than the big supermarkets though. Has anybody seen the price of leeks just lately ? horrendous, we love leek and potatoe soup but £1.65 for 3 leeks in aldi last week , ridiculous.

thanks Angelnikki for the millionaires shortbread,. DD wants to try that next week, think we will have to do lots of walking over the easter break judging by what the kids wanting me to make. Still would be really nice to give the visitors, always plenty of family visiting over any holiday time.
    sealed pot member no :435 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 £482.30
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 13th Mar 08, 5:11 PM
    • 4,689 Posts
    • 35,913 Thanks
    Justamum
    I've got about £31 left until the end of the month - 10 days! Our snacks (includes coffee out, crisps, chocolate etc) need seriously cutting back in future. That will seriously help the budget. It's the fault of DH though - well you have to have someone to blame don't you?

• icandream
    There are a couple of recipes here for millionaires shortbread and a micro recipe for caramel shortbread (same thing, different name) I'll try and find a link

They aren't in the index yet because I'm still catching up!

Edited to say try this thread
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Thanks so much rosieben - the recipe it led me to looks fab, as I loved ground rice in shortbread mix when I was a kid. I'll give this one a go.

March Grocery Challenge: £270/spend: £264.12
  • icandream

Millionaire’s Shortbread
    Originally posted by angelnikki
    Yum - thanks, Nikki. I'll make this one in a few days, after the one Rosieben led me too, and see which comes up best. Both sound rather good, but it's great to have a recommended recipe. Can't wait.

March Grocery Challenge: £270/spend: £264.12
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 13th Mar 08, 6:18 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Seven in a row!
    I am really pleased that I managed to achieve seven whole NSDs in a row. I didn't buy any food or household items from last Thursday until today when I did my usual main shop at Sainsbury's. Managed to spend under £40 on food, leaving around £60 for next week's last shop of the month. This should be do-able as I bought a lovely big leg of NZ lamb in Sainsbury's on special offer today to put in the freezer for Easter.

Today we had a sausage casserole at lunch time (I am at work at the moment until 9 pm!) and I cooked the veg gratin for tomorrow night's supper so that I can just crash when I get in from work! I made the gratin using up leftover cauli and broccoli which was on its last legs in the fridge and a carrot and one leek which I bought today.

DH had the day off to install the worktop for my office desk but I don't think he's finished yet! I am getting a bit anxious as at the moment the office is 'camping' in the dining room and I need the space when we have visitors at Easter! I am sure it will be all right in the end though.

Will update my signature when I get home (I need to check my receipts to get the exact figure). BTW I usually cook rice in the microwave: Cover the rice with boiling water and the cover the dish with cling film, venting to let the steam escape - cook for about 15 minutes - I usually do 10 mins and stir then another 3-5 mins. Drain the rice in a colander and then rinse with boiling water if using straight away or cold water if cooking for a dish that you are going to eat later.

Moniker
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 13th Mar 08, 6:52 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
    4 NSD in a row today, not planning to go near the shops tomorrow so i'm feeling pretty good. Having a baking day tomorrow, might try the milionair shortbread that sounds really yummy Thanks anglenikki. Mrs Mc i had your bagels that i made yesterday for lunch today they are great too. Since i have been following this thread i have been bake so much more home made food which has got to better for us than thr processed stuff and the daving is pretty good on the purse too.

CC
    • funkyfunkymonkey
    • By funkyfunkymonkey 13th Mar 08, 6:56 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    funkyfunkymonkey
    Can anybody help: I've looked on the indexed collections, but can't see it?
    Originally posted by icandream
    Been at work all day, don't know if this has already been posted:

MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD

Base

175g plain flour
    125g butter cut into small pieces
    50g soft brown sugar

Topping

50g butter
    50g soft brown sugar
    400g can condensed milk
    150g milk chocolate
    • Grease a 23cm square cake tin/pan
    • Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix to form a firm dough.
    • Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared tin and !!!!! with a fork.
    • Bake in a preheated oven 190 oC/375oF/gas mark 5 for 20 minutes until lightly golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
    • To make the topping, place the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a non-stick saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to the boil.
    • Reduce the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the caramel is pale golden and thick and is coming away from the sides of the pan. Pour the topping over the shortbread base and leave to cool.
    • When the caramel topping is firm, melt the chocolate. Spread the melted chocolate over the topping, leave to set in a cool place, then cut the shortbread into squares or fingers to serve.

WARNING – THIS RECIPE COULD SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR WAISTLINE!
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 13th Mar 08, 7:00 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Yum - thanks, Nikki. I'll make this one in a few days, after the one Rosieben led me too, and see which comes up best. Both sound rather good, but it's great to have a recommended recipe. Can't wait.
    Originally posted by icandream
    Ooh I'm nervous now! I hope you like it! I bet you're gonna be popular though if you're making two lots in one week!
    Nikki
    x
    • funkyfunkymonkey
    • By funkyfunkymonkey 13th Mar 08, 7:00 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    funkyfunkymonkey

Millionaire’s Shortbread

Ingredients

175g/6 oz plain flour
    125g/4 ½ oz butter cut into small pieces
    50g/1 ¾ oz soft brown sugar sieved
    Topping
    50g/1 ¾ oz butter
    50g/ 1 ¾ oz soft brown sugar
    400g/14oz can condensed milk
    150g/5 ½ oz milk chocolate

1. Grease a 23cm/9inch square cake tin.
    2. Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with your fingers until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and mix to form a firm dough.
    3. Press the dough into the prepared tin and pr1ck with a fork.
    4. Bake in a preheated oven 190c/ 375f/ gas5 for 20 minutes until lightly golden. Leave to cool in the tin.
    5. To make the topping place the butter, sugar and condensed milk in a non-stick saucepan and cook over a gentle heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to the boil.
    6. Reduce the heat and cook for 4-5 minutes until the caramel is pale golden and thick and is coming away from the sides of the pan. Pour the topping over the shortbread base and leave to cool.
    7. When the caramel topping is firm, melt the milk chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Spread the melted chocolate over the topping leave to set in a cool place then cut the shortbread into squares or fingers to serve.

Nikki
    x
    Oops! Looks like we've got the same cookery book

FFM
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
    • angelnikki
    • By angelnikki 13th Mar 08, 7:01 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 16,972 Thanks
    angelnikki
    Been at work all day, don't know if this has already been posted:

MILLIONAIRE’S SHORTBREAD
    Originally posted by funkyfunkymonkey
    That's the same as mine!
    Last edited by angelnikki; 13-03-2008 at 7:01 PM. Reason: Doh!!
    • funkyfunkymonkey
    • By funkyfunkymonkey 13th Mar 08, 7:04 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    funkyfunkymonkey
    That's the same as mine!
    I bought a 50p cookery book from our local charity shop, it's got some great baking ideas - but this millionaire's shortbread is going to be my downfall.

FFM
  • shelovestobuystuff
    whoooops!Not organised,no batch cooking days so far this month and we were out late tonight,dentist and clubs.I bought takeaway .Feeling guilty and am £20 poorer.It will not happen again.I must pre-prepare dinner for late nights.Still within target despite takeaway.
    Good luck with your own targets everyone .
    I am off to update my sig now.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • savingfortravel
    Quick update
    We spent £2.00 on milk bringing our March total to £55.44 (including long term monthly payment). Very pleased with ourselves, can't wait until we can add final amount to our C.American savings.
    As for April's budget-bought some non-perishable items off the list in order to use a voucher. Planned all the meals-off school for 3 weeks (I usually eat my main meal there-great perk) and want to batch cook cheap (ish) non-meat meals that we'll both eat. Poor OB is a little sad that its Fish or Vegetarian all the way.
    Keep up the good work everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

749Posts Today

6,463Users online

Martin's Twitter