Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    crana9
    new challenge - grocery
    • 7th Nov 04, 11:48 PM
    new challenge - grocery 7th Nov 04 at 11:48 PM
    I'd like to suggest a new "challenge" if anyone is up for it - similar to the cheap meal challenges that have been on here - but for a week.

I guess you can do it for as many people as you like (or as few).. for the rules.. shall we say you're allowed roughly 10 worth of things like spices, stock cubes, oil etc that you will only use in small amounts as a "starting kit".

you can then use 10 per person. (if this is too restrictive.. post your week's suggestions anyway )
    should have 5 fruit & veg per person per day and reasonable amounts of protein etc..

Page 1
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 8th Nov 04, 12:25 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:25 AM
    Re: new challenge - grocery
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:25 AM
    There's a book called 'Feed Your Family for 5 a day' by Bernadine Lawrence that does more or less what you say down to a shopping list. I had it in poorer days and found it reasuring - the idea was that you could feed your family on benefit levels and not eat baked potatoes every day.

I didn't live by it because it meant making bread every day - easier now with breadmakers. I did find it very practical though - good home cookingusing supermarket ingredients.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 8th Nov 04, 10:04 AM
    • 5,809 Posts
    • 40,355 Thanks
    Caterina
    • 8th Nov 04, 10:04 AM
    • 8th Nov 04, 10:04 AM
    ...good home cookingusing supermarket ingredients.
    The book you talk about sounds very interesting, will look it up on Amazon, but the idea of promoting the use of supermarket ingredients as an economy drive is a bit dangerous (money-wise and environment-wise).

Cost-wise, unless the shopper is disciplined enough to buy ONLY savers or loss-leader items, everything else tends to be more expensive than markets and local grocers.

Shopping for small amounts will always be more expensive than getting bulk food and it is also much more environmentally friendly because it avoids all the overpackaging and food miles involved in supermarket retail shopping.

There are untold hidden costs to our personal health and the health of our planet in buying only supermarket 'cheap' food!

I hope that more and more people will read the really informative book by Felicity Lawrence: Not on the Label - to get an idea of the consequences of some supermarket 'cheap' lines! This is the book that has stopped Cathy and many other people from buying bagged salad!

I hope I do not sound sanctimonious or too 'preachy' but this cause is so dear to my heart because I am getting more and more depressed about the exploitation of people and resources by the multinationals of food (and others too, but don't start me hehehe)!

The challenge is very interesting and I shall give it a good thought and maybe a try later on!

Caterina
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Nov 04, 10:26 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 8th Nov 04, 10:26 AM
    • 8th Nov 04, 10:26 AM
    Don't worry Caterina, I have had this book for some time now and Bernadine Lawrence also talks about using her local greengrocer. Most of the ingredients she uses are also available at local shops also health food store although perhaps a bit pricier. I guess it is down to the individuals choice as to where they source their basic ingredients.

It is however, a good book encouraging you to make your own bread, yogurts and soups etc also gives you a menu for 4 weeks (prices will be out of date by now though!! ;D)
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 8th Nov 04, 11:35 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 8th Nov 04, 11:35 AM
    • 8th Nov 04, 11:35 AM
    Sorry - when I say supermarket ingredients, I mean stuff you can pick up from 'ordinary shops'. In other words, she doesn't use things you can only pick up in health food shops or ethnic grocers.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Nov 04, 11:58 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 8th Nov 04, 11:58 AM
    • 8th Nov 04, 11:58 AM
    exactly! It is a good book and very useful for anyone on a tight budget.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Nov 04, 12:10 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:10 PM
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:10 PM
    is 10 per person including kids? I already do it for 30 a week, 1 adult 3 kids, including trainer pants or the boys at night, detergents, bin liners, toiletries...
    Do i need to post my shopping list?
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 8th Nov 04, 12:36 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:36 PM
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:36 PM
    is 10 per person including kids? I already do it for 30 a week, 1 adult 3 kids, including trainer pants or the boys at night, detergents, bin liners, toiletries...
    Definitely! I need to know where I'm going wrong. You're doing a great job there Ssaver.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 8th Nov 04, 12:39 PM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:39 PM
    • 8th Nov 04, 12:39 PM
    Yes please. If you don't mind
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Nov 04, 2:07 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Scuse if this is a bit scruffy i just cut and pasted it from my Tesco receipt. What you will see is not the whole story. I shop from Tesco once a fortnight, and the total is not the 59 quid it says because of the multibuys/special offers not being taken off. So its usually on or around the 50 mark. For example the salmon and the chicken were 2 packs for 5, then I wont need these things next time round. I use whatever vouchers I can from my clubcard mailings. I use the other 10 a fortnight to get fruit and veg (though I get things on offer from tescos) locally in the market or cheap corner shops. I have been lazy this week and bought tesco onions but next time it will be a sack of onions which is 99p down the road from where i live. I make a lot of bread, alternating crap value stuff with homemade. This was a 'pants' week so this means i needed to buy trainer pants for the boys for night time. I include that in my grocery budget. I did use washables when they were babies, have considered going back to that. Also I get things like fresh coriander locally and use what I need straightaway then freeze the rest. I grow mint, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives, basil and parsley. I usually only get meat from tescos if it is on offer. Otherwise I look in the local cheapy butchers for offers. I once got 5 joints of meat for 5 - and its all legit. There are a lot of food processing places near here and these were Marks and spencers beef/pork/gammon joints ready to roast in tins. I buy dried beans/lentils/chick peas etc. locally because they are cheaper, getting these when necessary out of the 10 a fortnight which I havent spent in Tesco's. I make my own laundry detergent, and as you can see there is vinegar on the list ;D for use as fabric conditioner and cleaning. Its also quite good on chips!!!
    This fortnight's Tesco shop
    The total guide price is 59.39*. This does not include any savings from Multisave or Internet Exclusive promotions. These extra deductions will be made when your order is delivered
    2 Tesco Value Sliced White Bread 800g Each 0.19 0.38
    1 Tesco Value 12 White Finger Rolls Each 0.28 0.28
    1 New York Cinnamon & Raisin Bagels 5 Pack Each 1.09 1.09
    1 Cox Apples Poly Bag Class 1 Each 1.49 1.49
    1 Tesco Cooking Onions 1kg Class 2 Each 0.99 0.99
    1 Tesco Carrots 1 Kg Pack Class 1 Each 0.35 0.35
    1 Tesco Value Unsmoked Streaky 275g Each 0.85 0.85
    1 Tesco German Peppered Salami 100g Each 0.93 0.93
    2 Tesco 2 Skinless Boneless Salmon Fillets 260g Each 2.68 5.36
    1 Tesco Butter Me Up 1kg Each 1.35 1.35
    2 Pilgrims Choice Classic Mature 400g Each 2.99 5.98
    4 Tesco Low Fat Toffee Yogurt 150g Each 0.19 0.76
    3 Tesco Value Fromage Frais 6 Pack 360g Each 0.44 1.32
    1 Tesco Value Eggs Minimum Weight Box Of 15 Each 1.16 1.16
    1 Tesco Tomato Puree Tube 200g Each 0.26 0.26
    1 Tesco 10 Vegetable Stock Cubes 110g Each 0.72 0.72
    1 Tesco Value Plain Flour 1.5kg Each 0.27 0.27
    1 Tesco Strong White Bread Flour 1.5kg Each 0.53 0.53
    2 Tesco Value Tomato Soup 400g Each 0.18 0.36
    1 Tesco Value Mushy Peas 300g Each 0.10 0.10
    4 Tesco Value Plum Tomatoes 400g Each 0.17 0.68
    1 Tesco Value Baked Beans In Tomt/Sauce 420g Each 0.11 0.11
    1 Tesco Value Spaghetti In Tomato Sauce 410g Each 0.08 0.08
    1 Kingsfood/ Lancaster 8 Hot Dogs In Brn 400g Each 0.23 0.23
    2 Tesco Sardines In Tomato Sauce 120g Each 0.30 0.60
    1 Tesco Arborio Risotto Rice 500g Each 0.94 0.94
    6 Tesco Value Bacon Flavour Instant Noddles 65g Each 0.08 0.48
    1 Tesco Value Lasagne Sheets 250g Each 0.27 0.27
    1 Tesco Value Sliced Peaches In Syrup 410g Each 0.18 0.18
    2 Tesco No Added Sugar Instant Custard Powder 72g Each 0.22 0.44
    1 Tesco Malt Vinegar 568ml Each 0.38 0.38
    1 Sarsons Distilled Malt Vinegar 568ml Each 0.64 0.64
    1 Pek Sauerkraut 470g Each 0.59 0.59
    1 Tesco Value Crunchy Peanut Butter 340g Each 0.43 0.43
    1 Tesco Value Sweetcorn 325g Each 0.21 0.21
    1 Tesco Value Frosted Flakes 500g Each 0.54 0.54
    1 Tesco Value Oats 1kg Each 0.43 0.43
    1 Tesco Moroccan Style Lamb Chops 650g Each 1.49 1.49
    1 Tesco Barbeque 20 New York Style Burgers 1.13kg Each 1.49 1.49
    2 Miscellaneous Chicken Breast Fillets 500g Promo Each 3.99 7.98
    1 Tesco Value 80 Teabags 250g Each 0.31 0.31
    4 Tesco Value Orange Juice 1 Litre Carton Each 0.39 1.56
    1 Tesco Value Wipes 100 Each 0.41 0.41
    1 Pampers Easy Ups Economy Pack Extra Large 34 Each 8.99 8.99
    1 Tesco Value Soap 3x125g Each 0.21 0.21
    1 Tesco Value Toilet Tissue 12 Pack 2400 Sheet Each 1.20 1.20
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Nov 04, 2:08 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    ooh - the cheese was a BOGOF!
    • MATH
    • By MATH 8th Nov 04, 2:13 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Ohhh SSaver I'm nosey, sorry interested enough to enjoy reading other peeps shopping lists. I noticed you buy bread flour. Do you make ya own bread? If you do can it possibly work out cheaper than an economy 9p loaf? I ask cos my breadmaker has been gathering dust for 2 yrs. I only drag it out to make jam.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Nov 04, 2:22 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    I make it because its nicer. I made a 5 seed loaf the other day, 59p. If you buy 5 seed bread i dont even know how much it is. I make pizzas at home, but you can use the standard plain flour for that too. I made a bloomer yesterday, 1lb 10oz of flour, I know that works out cheaper than a bloomer from a shop, and again its nicer i know exactly whats in it. Ous was HUGE. I am also giving my kids something to do by helping me cook these things, and hopefully educating them and their tastebuds.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 8th Nov 04, 2:37 PM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    Hi SSaver - Thanks for putting your shopping bill up

Re: the trainer pants - do you mean cos you are potty-training or for bed time wear?

I always used (still do) disposibles but when eldest came out of nappies during day i used trainer pants at night - but i stopped after a while and went back to nappies cos i found not only were they more expensive but they weren't as good as keeping him dry - unless this is the idea to get 'em to wake up for a wee. Course it could have just been that my son wee'd a lot :
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Nov 04, 2:42 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    i get pampers pull ups for night only because huggies dri nites are SO expensive, also my sons get up in the night sometimes and go to the loo - more dificult in a nappy. dont want to go back 2 nappies bcos my 4.5 yr old is otherwise a 'big boy' and i dont think he'd like it.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Nov 04, 2:49 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Well done S saver for keeping your costs down. Can I be cheeky now and ask for your bread recipe and do you make it in the breadmaker?
  • Galtizz
    I know this has been mentioned before but I bulk buy most of my stuff.

Thought I would add my meat bulk buy. I go to the local 'cattle market' which doesn't sell cattle any more but is just a huge open air market. I get fruit and veg from here - it doesn't last as long as shop bought stuff but it is MUCH cheaper - I use it for Sunday lunch. They also sell big bags of potatoes, carrots, onions etc.

But the best thing I get from there is bulk buy meat. There is butcher in a van shouting his deals and you can get loads of good offers from there. I got 20 chicken breasts for 10 - thats 50p each and it is really good quality stuff. They also have 3 massive joints for 10 etc. etc.

I only go once every few months but I have to clear space in the freezer first - I can only just shut the door now.

• Spendless
    • By Spendless 8th Nov 04, 2:58 PM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,262 Thanks
    Spendless
    i get pampers pull ups for night only because huggies dri nites are SO expensive, also my sons get up in the night sometimes and go to the loo - more dificult in a nappy. dont want to go back 2 nappies bcos my 4.5 yr old is otherwise a 'big boy' and i dont think he'd like it.
    Right I see. My own son was younger when i returned to disposibles for night-time (about 3). No my own 4.5 year old wouldn't be happy about wearing a nappy to bed.
    Have you registered your (new baby ) with the Pampers and Huggies club to receive vouchers - got this tip from Judi - I'd not thought of it
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 8th Nov 04, 6:35 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Well done S saver !for keeping your costs down. !Can I be cheeky now and ask for your bread recipe and do you make it in the breadmaker?
    Depends on the bread. The 5 seed loaf is a packet mix 59p from tescos. I make the dough in the breadmaker bcos the quantity is too big, but you could halve it. I used the recipe off the tesco yeast sachets last night when i made the white loaf. 1lb 10oz bread flour, 450ml warm water, 1 sachet yeast, 2tsp salt, 1oz fat i did not add the egg its not necessary, i dusted with flour rather than glazing it, made the dough in the bread machine and baked it in the oven because its the size of a small caravan ;D about 25-30 mins at gas 7 near the bottom of the oven.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Nov 04, 9:24 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Thanks ssaver, I think I'll be brave and give that a try. I have a breadmaker and it's not used enough!! I must mend my ways
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,143Posts Today

7,588Users online

Martin's Twitter