Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 25th May 05, 11:10 AM
    • 4,736Posts
    • 15,803Thanks
    r.mac
    General Pizza tips & Quick Questions
    • 25th May 05, 11:10 AM
    General Pizza tips & Quick Questions 25th May 05 at 11:10 AM
    I have been using up various bits and pieces in my cupboard in a storecupboard challenge kind of a way (enforced through overspending at the begining of the month!)

One thing I used was a packet mix to make pizza dough/base. The packet originally cost me about 80p for 2 servings. You add water, mix, kneed and then let rise for 15 mins, then add the toppings and cook for at least 20 mins. It was nice, but bland, a bit soggy and nothing on a tesco already made pizza.

On Monday on Ready sSeady Cook (a treat to watch as normally at work at that time) one of the chefs made a quick pizza by mixing some plain flour with a dash olive oil and some water. Rolled it out really thin then cooked in a dry frying pan until it crisped up. He also used a blow torch , but i just turned it over to do the other side. :lol:

Anyway, this made an amazing pizza base, took less than 5 mins to make and cook before adding the topping and shoving in the oven for 10 mins. It was crispy yummy and cheap! I have to say I am amazed that something shown on tv actually works, and that it was a cheap option!

HAs anyone else made a similar discovery?
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
Page 4
    • elona
    • By elona 9th Aug 05, 3:14 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,458 Thanks
    elona
    Ruby Pudding

I have the Morphy Richards Fastbake - about £39 delivered from Amazon but it might be cheaper now.

I never use the quick programme as lots of people have said it is disappointing but use the basic 3 hour programme.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • JoBatch80
    • By JoBatch80 9th Aug 05, 3:18 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 2,546 Thanks
    JoBatch80
    never tried it but it's how you buy them in the supermarket.. and if you do freeze them can you cook them from frozen... and... how do you make the dough????
    by Nikkinewcomer

I dont have a breadmaker, so it is made by hand - my recipe isnt bread dough as such:

3Tbsp Oil (olive, veg, whatever - I generally use 2 olive, 1 sunflower)
    400g Flour (ive found regular plain flour to be fine)
    1 tsp Salt
    1 sachet yeast, mixed with around 1/4 pint warm water.

I bung all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the warm water slowly, and just keep mixing. It might (probably will!) need a bit more water, I just keep pouring in real slow until I have a dryish lump that holds together well. I then put it on a floured surface and give it a good old knead for a few minutes, until its thorougly together. I put it inside a (very lightly) oiled bowl and cover with clingfilm, and put in a warm place for an hour or until risen. After that, I give it a quick knead and then roll it out on floured surface (dry semolina is also useful with the flour as I widen it by hand and this stops sticking to the surface!) - I do it quite thinly as I dont like soggy pizza, nor do I like more base than toppings!!

After that, I put it on a baking tray (ive got a very useful round pizza one) and then put on tomato puree, crushed garlic and a light oregano dusting, then toppings, and stick in the oven until the base is crispy and the toppings are melty!

Jo xx
    Once you've swam in the sea, a lake will no longer do.
  • Mrs Thrift
    Looking to get some suggestions on how to make my own pasta sauces and pizza dough - and would they be safe to freeze.

I am a new member to this site, and have already bought the EO and vinegar to try my own homemade fabric conditioner - will be trying it tonight - can't wait!
    by angelareid1512
    Welcome aboard!

I've never tried pizza dough, but Mr Thrift and I regularly make our own pasta sauces, and they could definitely be frozen. We usually just mae it up as we go along, but use tinned chopped tomatoes (1 tin to serve 2, Asda smart price, 17p) or passatta (sp?) (half a jar that I think is 500ml? Asda smart price, 34p) as a base, then add whatever we fancy - herbs (basil and oregano mostly), spices (chilli, cumin, etc.), garlic, peppers, sweetcorn, other veg that we've got in (fresh or frozen), sausages (pre-cooked), bacon, anything really.

Using tomatoes or passatta as a base we also make up curries and casseroles as we go along too. Dinner time is always fun in our house, hehe!
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 9th Aug 05, 5:55 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    I dont have a breadmaker, so it is made by hand - my recipe isnt bread dough as such:

3Tbsp Oil (olive, veg, whatever - I generally use 2 olive, 1 sunflower)
    400g Flour (ive found regular plain flour to be fine)
    1 tsp Salt

1 sachet yeast, mixed with around 1/4 pint warm water.
    Jo xx
    by jw1096
    I'm guessing that if you used flavoured olive oil the dough would take on that flavour too? I've got some lovely basil enfused extra virgin olive oil which sounds like it may be perfect for this recipe
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    OH Doing Pizza-Advice Required!
    Hey

OH has decided to make a pizza for tea tonight. He is in the process of adding all ingredients to the breadmaker and it kneading for 15mins :confused:

Anyway, what are the next steps? How many bases will this make. Which is the best way to layer the pizza? I have tomatoe puree-is this OK. Also have cheddar and he bought a bag of mozarella from Lidls last week. How does he do this? Im sure he is going to blow the kitchen up We all like ham & pineapple. How long on the oven to cook etc? Basically.....helppppp.

Sorry for all these questions but we have never made a pizza before from scratch anyway :rolleyes:

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • raeble
    Depends on how much flour etc you have put in the bread maker as to how many bases it will make. I generally layer the pizza with tomato puree, then a bit of cheese, then the other toppings followed by more cheese. It should take about 10 - 20 minutes in a hotish oven about gas mark 6. But all ovens are different, so you should have a look at it about ten minutes in, if you think the cheese is browning too quickly before the base is soaked, turn down the oven. HTH
    Last edited by raeble; 19-09-2005 at 3:02 PM.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Sep 05, 3:02 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Take a look in the Old Style Recipe Index in the Main Courses for "Lazy Pizza".

Ignore the dough making bit and just do all the rest.

A fairly standard loaf mix 1.5lb will make two good 12" pizza bases.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hey Again

Thanks for the replies.

So basically, its tom puree, grated cheese, ham & pineapple, then more cheese? How do I add the mozarella and in what quantities? I am hoping that I will get 2 bases from the dough

PP
    xx
    requires brains!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Sep 05, 3:32 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    You can add as much or as little cheese as you like and can either grate it or slice it thinly.

Shop bought ones usually do cheese first and then the toppings but I prefer to do it the other way round. I don't think there are any rules
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Pooky
    • By Pooky 19th Sep 05, 3:50 PM
    • 6,911 Posts
    • 45,138 Thanks
    Pooky
    The reciepe in my bread machine book makes 2 decent 9inch bases.....I often get really greative and do a stuffed rolled crust too!

We normally use passata with a squidge of tom puree and some basil for the base (a really lazy base) Then we add the meat, pineapple, peppers, onions etc then grated cheese. If we have a mozzerella then it gets drained and sliced thinly and will do the 2 pizzas.

I'd say they take about 15-20 mins to cook....had them on Saturday night and they were lovely. I made 3 bases (slightly smaller than normal) and drizzled garlic olive oil over one then added some herbs and grated cheese for a really tasty garlic bread.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    It was lovely!!
    Hey

I think I have died and gone to heaven...lol.

The pizza was fantatsic and tasted (honestly) just like a Pizza Hut Pizza. OH made 2 bases in the BM with white value flour, spreaded with tomatoe puree, then grated some cheese, added pineappla and ham then drained the mozarella and sliced over the 2 pizzas. It was devine and am totally stunned that a HM pizza could taste so delish

Cost wise it worked out total about £1.00 for the 2 pizzas..1 ham & pineapple and the other cheese for DD. Made with value white flour, yeast, cheap marg, cheap cheddar, 1/2 mozzarella, 1/2 tin pineapple, 2 slices of ham, 1/2 tube of tom puree. These would of been a £5 each at least from the local delivery.

Thanks everyone.

PP
    xx
    requires brains!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Sep 05, 6:15 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    That'll be you never buying frozen pizza again then.

• GreenFingers
    Home made Pizzas....mmmmmm
    Made my first pizza dough in the Bread Maker today…. The cooked pizza is wonderful and really, really tasty. Highly recommended to one and all….. I don’t have a proper pizza pan so I used a medium sized oven-roasting pan. I spread the dough over the bottom of the pan and about 1 inch up the sides to make a Deep Pan Pizza of sorts …lol…. .... and then put it aside to rise for 15 minutes.

Then I put some tomato paste on the dough, followed by a small tin of chopped tomatoes, grated cheese and chopped onion, then chopped boiled ham and olives and grated cheese, followed by thinly sliced tomatoes and grated cheese. It was then cooked at gas mark 7 for about 20 minutes.

From an Old Style Money Saving point of view I would estimate the ingredients, cooking costs and so on would not be more than £4.00 roughly. Comparing this with the price of Pizzas from the well known outlets and the frozen ones from the supermarkets, home made has to be very good value.
    The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
    • GIRLPOWER
    • By GIRLPOWER 5th Oct 05, 6:02 PM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    GIRLPOWER
    sounds yum..pizza is my fav and never made it before MSE.. can not believe the money I wasted.

I use never use the bread maker and it only takes minutes to make the dough.. using the plain flour, a little salt, water mixed with a little yeast and leave it to rest for an hour.. then spread with tom puree, a little garlic, cheese and sliced toms.. a cost it at about 1.00.
    • skylight
    • By skylight 5th Oct 05, 6:05 PM
    • 10,424 Posts
    • 16,875 Thanks
    skylight
    We madeours on Monday night!
    Got the 3yr old to make it too, so she actually ate it!

Although the cheese wasn't as cooked as I would have liked it.

I don't eat pizza, but the family tell me it was nice!
  • Gingham Ribbon
    We're having home made pizza tonight! I love it. We buy bases from morrisons at the moment (until my breadmaker finally arrives!) We add home made tomato base, black olives, pinenuts, capers, onions, peppers, mushrooms and sultanas usually with sliced mozzarella. Utterly scrumptious. (Our own version of Pizza Express' Veneziana.)

My husband and his 2 best friends are complete pizza addicts and even had regular 'pizza club nights' when they were all single. It mainly involved drinking lots of wine, getting a Dominos pizza each, watching Buffy the Vampire Slayer and talking about girls from the one night I was invited along!

Now he won't touch a dominos pizza because he likes ours better and we save a packet on them!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • barjam
    i use morrisons pizza bases also but for the tomato base i use campbells soup the 'mediteranian tomato' its so nice i also use it on pasta will never buy a jar of pasta sauce again, will always use the soup
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Oct 05, 6:34 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    If you look in the Recipe Collection there's a lazy pizza listed which uses a simple scone base - no need for a breadmaker at all, and I'm pretty sure there are variants on that theme to be found in our other recent threads on pizzas...

Can I make pizza without yeast
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=93980

How do I make pizza?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=93687

HM pasta sauces and pizza dough
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=79095

Pizza question
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=78335

Quickest pizza ever!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=57341
    Last edited by squeaky; 05-10-2005 at 6:41 PM.

• Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 5th Oct 05, 6:45 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    The "quickest pizza ever!" is better than anything I have ever tasted from a supermarket.

I just spread some tomato puree on the base, then cheese/mushroom/pineapple/ham and herbs on the top.
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 5th Oct 05, 6:53 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    try making your own tomato sauce base for an even scrummier pizza.

Fry some garlic and finly chopped onion until translucent, then add a couple of tins of chopped tomatoes and a tablespoon or so of tomato puree + 1/2 tsp of sugar+ oregano to taste
    Cook gently until very dry, ie: there is no more liquid just a thick puree.

This makes enough for 6 large 12" pizzas and can be frozen in batches.

Put this on the dough base top with mozzarella, & chosen toppings, a sprinkle of olive oil and some more oregano.

The only question I have is how to stop the kids piling so many toppings on?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

2,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin