Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 19th Sep 05, 9:19 AM
    • 485Posts
    • 131Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    Buffet ideas
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:19 AM
    Buffet ideas 19th Sep 05 at 9:19 AM
    Morning all,
    My little girls 1 in 12 days time (where has the time gone) we were going to be having a cup of tes and slice of cake at Mums to celebrate but its gone a bit further than that and now we have around 30 guests coming. Mum has 2 large rooms ans a utility room where the food will be served. So now for some daft questions from me as a 1st time Mum. What do people (adults do for amusmants at 1st birthday parties? Im on a tight budget (well it was only going to cost me for a cake before which I was going to try to make myself) what can I do cheeply on a buffet and how much do you think I need for around 30. Its at 2pm so they wont have had dinner.
    Thanks in advance for any ideas im just so worried about the costs involved and I know you guys will have some ideas for me.
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Sep 05, 9:32 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:32 AM
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:32 AM
    There are a couple of short threads that will give you some ideas:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=85210

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=64185
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Yoga Girl
    • By Yoga Girl 19th Sep 05, 9:34 AM
    • 893 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Yoga Girl
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:34 AM
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:34 AM
    We usually make a few home-made pizzas, we buy the bases then add the toppings we like, these can be made well in advance as well.

Large bowls of rice salad (rice, tomatoes, peppers sweetcorn, dash of mayo) or pasta salad are cheap to make and look good.

Lidl sell part-baked rolls and ciabatta bread rolls that you pop in the oven for a few mins, they look good as well.

Not sure about the amusemant bit, think most childrens parties usually involve children playing and the adults trying to bring some order/prevent mishaps!

• Bendybops19
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:37 AM
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:37 AM
    Squeaky - they are great threads -

Def some good ideas in there keatergreyhound, so check them out.

But remember, dont let yourself get all stressed over this, be organised so you can enjoy yuorself too

Have all the food layed out ready, paper plates and plastic cutlery so it can all be thrown away after.

I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers

• Rikki
    • By Rikki 19th Sep 05, 9:40 AM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:40 AM
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:40 AM
    Vegetables ie carrots, cucumber, celery and dips.
  • Jay-Jay
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:51 AM
    • 19th Sep 05, 9:51 AM
    Hiya

I had a very similar type gathering for my eldest daughters 1st birthday and it really didn't cost much.

A loaf averages 14/15 slices each, this would make 7 sandwiches which would make 28 triangles. I would buy at least 4 loaves as sandwiches are relatively cheap and 'pad out' a buffet. Keep fillings plain as it's a childrens party so no-one will expect fancy fillings. Maybe some wafer thin ham, grated cheese, tuna mayo and .....JAM every time I make jam butties for a party they're the first to go, and it's usually the adults who eat them :rolleyes: .

Value sausage rolls, garlic baguettes, cheese pineapple and sausages on sticks, crisps and biscuits. Adsa do small value cheese and tom pizzas for 34p which can be cut into 8 triangles, I'd get some of these too.

If you want to cater for the older guests then cook a couple of value quiches, boil a bag of pasta and mix in some Lloyd Grossman sauce, boil some new potates and serve with plenty of butter, do a dish of salad and roast some value chicken legs.

When I do a birthday cake I always give all the other children a fairy cake each with a lit candle on, then they all blow the candles out together and it keeps them all happy.

By the time everyone's arrived, seen your daughter, chatted and had some buffet it will be time for the cake. After the cake's been divided up and passed out it'll be time for them to leave so I wouldn't worry too much about organising anything in particular.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 19th Sep 05, 10:17 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 19th Sep 05, 10:17 AM
    • 19th Sep 05, 10:17 AM
    I've just had an idea, which shouldn't cost very much at all to do, although I'm not sure if it's something you'd want to do

As your daughter is only a baby I'm assuming the majority of guests are going to be adults, or other babies/young children, so how about doing a really Old Style party based on post-war street party type of thing and maybe even ask the adults to come dressed up a bit in "old style" clothes :confused: ... well this is the OS board after all

A simple buffet tea of sandwiches cut into triangles and filled with meat paste, chopped egg, jam, banana etc ... little sausages on sticks (always go down well with adults and children alike!) maybe some sausage rolls or if you want to push the boat out a bit, a lovely big HM quiche (although I'm not sure they'd have had these back then?) anyway, all basic, simple food and for sweet stuff you can make loads of little fairy cakes and ice/decorate them in different colours, make butterfly or angel ones etc ... and not forgetting JELLY and ice cream and maybe even a blancmange or two

I'm sure other's can come up with ideas for other OS foods but that's just off the top of my head for the moment. Keep it simple and cheap
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• keatergreyhound
    • By keatergreyhound 19th Sep 05, 7:17 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    keatergreyhound
    • 19th Sep 05, 7:17 PM
    • 19th Sep 05, 7:17 PM
    Well so far its 21 adults and 2 kids under 2 so im not worried about games or similar. Its just feeding all those adults. Im off to read Squeekys threads now
  • super41
    • 19th Sep 05, 8:56 PM
    • 19th Sep 05, 8:56 PM
    It's my little girl's birthday next week and she's having some friends round and their parents will come along as well as grandparents. It makes a nice social gathering so I'm doing a little buffet. My advice is to keep it simple - stick to a finger buffet which is easier for the guests and saves a lot of washing up. I'm making sandwiches - ham, tuna (BOGOF in Somerfield recently) & cucumber, egg mayonnaise and cress are all at reasonable cost. Crisps, (also 12 packets BOGOF!), homemade quiche - nicer and better value than bought - you can always do the night before. I'm also going to the local bakery where thy do very nice cheese and fruit scones. Will buy some of each. Fruit ones can be served with jam and whipped cream (people can help themselves). If anyone offers to make/bring someting say yes! I used to refuse saying I was all organised but now I always accept!! For desserts a big fresh fruit salad and meringues is very easy and quite economical.

Amount of food can be difficult as people's appetitie's vary - I calculate about 5 pieces for each person - e.g. 3 sandwiches, piece of quiche, cheese scone etc. I would imagine most people will have had something to eat before they come to you so won't be expecting a 5-course meal!

If I sound very organised it's because I've just had my own party and I did all this and it was very successful! Remember your friends are there to see you and your daughter not to judge your entertaining skills! Try to relax and enjoy yourself on your little girls special day!! Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

3,178Users online

Martin's Twitter