Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 18th Sep 05, 7:31 AM
    • 1,358Posts
    • 2,496Thanks
    billieboy
    Christmas Cake
    • 18th Sep 05, 7:31 AM
    Christmas Cake 18th Sep 05 at 7:31 AM
    I've just put my Christmas Cake in the oven! Anyone beaten me to it?
Page 1
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Sep 05, 7:43 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 18th Sep 05, 7:43 AM
    • 18th Sep 05, 7:43 AM
    My mum! She makes hers at EASTER!!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 18th Sep 05, 7:49 AM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,147 Thanks
    Prudent
    • 18th Sep 05, 7:49 AM
    • 18th Sep 05, 7:49 AM
    I have never made A Christams cake. This year I have promised myself I will.
    I am glad you posted because I was thinking of doing this next saturday as I have some free time for once, and didn't know if this is too early. Recipe anyone? Any other tips also much appreciated.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Sep 05, 7:55 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 18th Sep 05, 7:55 AM
    • 18th Sep 05, 7:55 AM
    In the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the forum listing there are two threads on Christmas cakes listed in "cakes". One of them slightly better than the other
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• billieboy
    • By billieboy 18th Sep 05, 8:20 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    • 18th Sep 05, 8:20 AM
    • 18th Sep 05, 8:20 AM
    My mum! She makes hers at EASTER!!
    by squeaky
    Blimey! I thought I was early. How many bottles of sherry/brandy does she get through feeding it?
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 18th Sep 05, 8:21 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    • 18th Sep 05, 8:21 AM
    • 18th Sep 05, 8:21 AM
    I have never made A Christams cake. This year I have promised myself I will.
    I am glad you posted because I was thinking of doing this next saturday as I have some free time for once, and didn't know if this is too early. Recipe anyone? Any other tips also much appreciated.
    by Prudent
    I always use Queen Delia of Cookerland's recipe but substitute sherry for brandy and, as she says, feed it regularly. If you need the recipe, pm me.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Sep 05, 8:53 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 18th Sep 05, 8:53 AM
    • 18th Sep 05, 8:53 AM
    Blimey! I thought I was early. How many bottles of sherry/brandy does she get through feeding it?
    by billieboy
    A fair bit. But then, it's "One for the cake... one for me... one for the cake... one for me..."

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 18th Sep 05, 8:55 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 18th Sep 05, 8:55 AM
    I always use Queen Delia of Cookerland's recipe but substitute sherry for brandy and, as she says, feed it regularly. If you need the recipe, pm me.
    by billieboy

Is this the one you mean?

I've made this one in the past too and it's got to be one of the best cake's I've tasted, barring my old granny's recipe, which mum used to make too, but I lost the recipe years ago

I also use brandy instead of sherry to feed it, although I've not made one for a few years but I might just do one this year!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 18th Sep 05, 8:55 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    A fair bit. But then, it's "One for the cake... one for me... one for the cake... one for me..."
    by squeaky
    Best way to do it <hic>
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• billieboy
    • By billieboy 18th Sep 05, 9:13 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    Is this the one you mean?

I've made this one in the past too and it's got to be one of the best cake's I've tasted, barring my old granny's recipe, which mum used to make too, but I lost the recipe years ago

I also use brandy instead of sherry to feed it, although I've not made one for a few years but I might just do one this year!
    by Curry_Queen
    Yep that's the one. For some reason, last year I couldn't be bothered to make one and bought one. It just wasn't the same as homemade (must be all the feeding!). You can't beat homemade. I used to make Christmas Puddings as well until they started going mouldy during storage but maybe I should try again! Btw thanks for posting the link as my original recipe doesn't say anything about leaving it in the tin for 30 mins when it's cooked.
    • GIRLPOWER
    • By GIRLPOWER 18th Sep 05, 9:14 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 2,392 Thanks
    GIRLPOWER
    Thought I had read.. think in the delia christmas cook book that we should make it on stir up sunday??? Any one know when that is??? or this could have been for the christmas puddin :confused:
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 18th Sep 05, 9:16 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    Thought I had read.. think in the delia christmas cook book that we should make it on stir up sunday??? Any one know when that is??? or this could have been for the christmas puddin :confused:
    by GIRLPOWER
    I think that's for the pudding when people used to put sixpences in and everyone had a stir. I don't know when it is though.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 18th Sep 05, 9:24 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Best way to do it <hic>
    by Curry_Queen
    Oooh, beat me to it CQ.

I would into the realms of HM Christmas cake, however, we don't really eat it and my mum always gets given a beautiful HM cake, so she can always provide it The man who makes the cakes and mince pies is almost blind and whilst they taste sublime, the Xmas decorations make you laugh - bless him, with plastic robins stuck in the icing by their beaks or tails How he manages it is beyond me, but he's provided the best Xmas goodies for years now
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 18th Sep 05, 9:37 AM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 10,316 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    by GIRLPOWER
    Stir up Sunday is traditionally the Sunday before Advent - so by my calculations that will be 29th November (but I think it is for Christmas Puddings and you can make your cake when you like!)

I normally make my cake in the October half term, however I'm not making one this year as we are flying off to the Dominican Republic for Christmas this year!!

I'm so traditional I'm finding it hard not to get into all the preparation this year!! Mustn't moan though - as I'll be sat on a beach on Christmas morning with the sun beaming down and a cocktail in my hand!!
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 90 (yes!!! I have finally finished it )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 80 (only the "actual" quilting to do now )
    • nicki
    • By nicki 18th Sep 05, 9:40 AM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 88,339 Thanks
    nicki
    Thanks for reminding me - I'll have to get some brandy and the rest of the ingrediants so I can do this next weekend. I use a recipe my mum got from a local paper years ago and its a big hit. Mind you I think the leaving the fruit to soak in brandy for upto a week sometimes might make the difference Will have to get my Asda Christmas Savers card out to pay for some of the stuff ASAP - I want the fruit in to soak for as long as possible since we'll be at IL's for Xmas day this year so the more potent the better
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • elvis_bloggs
    What does "feeding" a Christmas cake mean.??? It normally feeds me. :confused:
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Sep 05, 10:06 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Once made you keep it in an airtight tin. About once a week thereafter you turn it upside down and pour a wee tot of brandy or whisky or sherry into the bottom.

That's feeding it

• elvis_bloggs
    Once made you keep it in an airtight tin. About once a week thereafter you turn it upside down and pour a wee tot of brandy or whisky or sherry into the bottom.

That's feeding it
    by squeaky

Oh right, I never knew that.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 18th Sep 05, 10:24 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Sometimes shop bought ones will say something like "basted with sherry" - but in comparison to home made cakes I think they just showed it the bottle

• billieboy
    • By billieboy 18th Sep 05, 10:51 AM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy

That's feeding it
    by squeaky
    I tend to skewer it about ten times and carefully fill up the holes! Mind you if your mum makes it at Easter that would be an awful lot of alcohol!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

460Posts Today

5,455Users online

Martin's Twitter