Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 15th Apr 05, 4:55 PM
    • 4,896Posts
    • 5,486Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board)
    • 15th Apr 05, 4:55 PM
    Recipe Collection Thread (recipe board) 15th Apr 05 at 4:55 PM
    Sounds grand, but it's one of these really thick, cheap soups you could eat with a knife and fork.
    Ingredients

3 tsp Olive Oil
    2 small onions, peeled and chopped
    2 stalks celery, peeled and chopped
    2 lg cans peeled plum tomatoes in juice
    1 lg can chickpeas (drained)
    1 tbsp chpped fresh basil
    grated parmesan
    4 oz Thin Pasta Noodles

Method

Heat oil and cook onion & celery until soft (5-10 mins)

Add tomatoes, simmer for 10 mins

Stir in basil, chick peas and pasta, simmer for 10-15 mins

Serve hot, sprinkled with parmesan.

Absolutely yummy ! Nicked this recipe straight from the back of the pack of noodles, but it's really lovely and very cheap. Oh, but do watch out at end - you may need to add more water as it does start to get very thick and catch. I sometimes add an extra can of chopped tomatoes. Makes loads though.
Page 12
  • AussieLass
    Impossible Pie
    1 cup sugar 1/2 cup plain flour
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons melted butter 2 eggs
    1 cup milk 1 cup coconut
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Mix sugar with flour, baking powder & salt. Add melted butter. Add 2 well beaten eggs and milk. Mix in coconut & vanilla. Pour into greased pie plate and cook in moderate oven for 30 - 35 mins.

NB: The reason it's called Impossible Pie is that when it's cooking it makes it's own pastry layer, it's own egg custard layer & the coconut rises to the top making a topping layer. How clever is that.
  • Lotta Littlies
    Chocolate Brownies
    Chocolate Brownies

175 g (6ozs) butter/margarine
    350 g (12ozs) caster sugar
    1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
    3 eggs
    100 g (4ozs) plain flour
    1 level teaspoon of baking powder
    75 g (3ozs) cocoa
    choc chips

Melt spread in a large bowl then add sugar and vanilla essence
    Break eggs into a small bowl and beat them. Add them to the large bowl a little at a time and beat in well.
    Sift flour into the bowl and add baking powder and cocoa. Stir so that it is mixed well.
    Add choc chips.
    Pour mixture into the cake tin and smooth with the back of a spoon.
    Bake for 40 minutes ! 180 c/ 350 f/ gas mark 4

They will be ready when they have risen and have formed a crust on top, but still sticky/soft in the middle.

EAT THEM ALL UP!!! Yum yum!
    Last edited by squeaky; 19-09-2005 at 8:27 AM. Reason: to add the title
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
  • Lotta Littlies
    Chocolate Courgette cake
    Chocolate Courgette cake

120g butter (softened)
    125ml sunflower oil
    100g caster sugar
    200g soft brown sugar
    3 eggs, beaten
    130ml milk
    350g plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    4 tbsp cocoa
    450g courgettes, peeled and grated finely
    1 tsp vanilla

1. Line a 20 x 35cm baking tray with baking paper and set the oven to 190C/350F.

2. Mix the butter, oil and both sugars together until light and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, one at a time and then the milk until mixed thoroughly.

3. Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the mixture. Stir in grated and peeled courgettes, vanilla and spoon into tin. Bake for 35 -45 minutes.
    Last edited by squeaky; 19-09-2005 at 8:27 AM. Reason: to add the title
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Sep 05, 12:17 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Sausage Hotpot
    This is the recipe I promised that my DS cooked for us the other night, under my supervision of course

Sausage Hotpot

6-8 sausages (I used sweet chilli pork ones for this recipe but any will do)
    1 onion, sliced
    2 cloves garlic, sliced
    3-4 carrots, sliced/chopped
    8-10 new potatoes, sliced (can also use old ones and slice/dice them)
    2 tsp smoked paprika
    approx 1/2 pt boiling water
    tin condensed tomato soup
    2 sm tins of beans (cannelini, flagelot, borlotti etc, or a mix)
    few drops Tabasco sauce
    S & P to taste

Using a large, deep frying pan brown off the sausages for 5 mins or so in a little oil then set to one side. Add onions, garlic, carrot and potato to pan and fry in oil/juices left behind for about 5 mins. Sprinkle over the paprika and stir to soak up the juices then add some of the boiling water, stirring to deglaze the pan. Add the condensed soup and the rest of the water and bring up to boil then simmer. Slice each sausage into 3-4 chunks, depending how big they are, and put back in pan along with the beans and tabasco sauce, and season to taste. Put a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for around 30 mins or until everything is cooked through!

This could just as easily be made in the slowcooker which I would have done if things had gone according to plan LOL!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 14th Sep 05, 1:53 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Fifteens
    So easy to make you can let your kids do it at the weekend to keep them amused!!

Fifteens

1 can condensed milk
    15 digestive biscuits
    15 cherries
    15 marshmallows
    some coconut

Crush digestive biscuits and add chopped cherries and chopped marshmallows. Stir in condensed milk until the mixture will hardly move!

In a piece of greaseproof paper sprinkle some coconut, lay out the mix in a line on top of the co!!!!. Sprinkle more co!!!! on top. Roll up like a sausage inside the greasproof and seal the ends. ( I roll tinfoil round mine) Place in fridge for 2 - 3 hours until firm. Unwrap and cut into slices.

Eat and enjoy!!

Or alternatively, be like me and just eat the condensed milk out of the tin
    • ashmit
    • By ashmit 15th Sep 05, 5:30 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    ashmit
    Mushroom burgers
    Stick 120g/4oz mushrooms in a processor and whizz. Mix with 50g/2oz wholemeal breadcrumbs and the same amount of ground almonds, 10ml/2tsp stock powder and 5ml 1tsp mixed herbs. Add one beaten egg to bind it all together and mix.

Divide into as many burgers as you want (depends how big you want them really!) and shape into burgers. Coat them with flour.

Heat 0.5cm/1/4inch oil in a frying pan and fry burgers for about 5 mins on each side til golden brown (although I think they take longer than that). Serve in buns with relish, or lettuce and tomato, or whatever you like your burgers in

Note - I've tried just chopping the mushrooms finely and it doesn't work
    Also, I don't bother with the stock powder - just add salt and pepper.

YUM.
    Last edited by squeaky; 19-09-2005 at 8:39 AM. Reason: to add the title
    • aurorahelios
    • By aurorahelios 16th Sep 05, 1:04 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    aurorahelios
    Gypsy Tart
    An easy recipe to use up evaporated milk which in my opinion tastes divine.

Gypsy Tart

Shortcrust Pastry made with 240g flour, 175g butter and 4tbsp water rolled out to line a 25cm flan ring. Bake blind for 15-20mins at 200C/400F/Gas 6 leave to cool.

Filling
    400g tin evaporated milk
    350g Dark Muscavado Sugar

Whisk the evaporated milk and sugar for 10 mins until light and fluffy. The mix should be coffee coloured. Pour mix into pastry case and bake in the oven for 10mins until set. Leave to cool.

Don't be tempted to under whisk- as it will not set properly and you will just have a runny mess.
    Last edited by squeaky; 19-09-2005 at 8:42 AM. Reason: to add the title
  • Lotta Littlies
    Pasta with butter and garlic sauce
    This is quick, cheap and easy to make but as I throw it together I have no measurements. Oh and if you're on a diet or healthy eating plan forget it!

500g Pack of Pasta (shells or tubes work best)
    block of Stork Block Margarine
    tube of tomato puree
    garlic cloves to your taste
    oregano and basil (lots)

Cook pasta as normal. As its draining melt the butter in the pan, add the rest of the ingredients mixing up well. When all mixed up add the pasta back to the pan, cover with the lid then holding the lid on tightly shake the pan until pasta is coated with the mixture. It's absolutely gorgeous - or at least we all love it!

Lotta
    Last edited by squeaky; 19-09-2005 at 8:47 AM. Reason: to add the title
  • tr3mor
    Weetabix Fruit Loaf
    This is a really nice fruit loaf, it's delicious straight from the oven with ice cream, or a few days later, sliced and toasted with some butter.

And it's so simple!

4 Weetabix
    8oz SR Flour
    6oz Sugar
    6oz Currants/Sultanas/Peel/Glace Cherries (whatever really)
    8floz Milk

Crush weetabix in your fists into a bowl, add all dry ingredients. Mix in milk in a few steps. Bung in a greased loaf tin in a lowish oven (mark 4 / 170C).

To test if cooked prod with a knife. If the knife comes out clean then it's cooked!

Ta-da!

VVVVVV I'm not sure, about 30 mins i think it was, basically until it's done
    Last edited by tr3mor; 16-09-2005 at 3:24 PM.
  • Petal
    Allbran fruit loaf
    How long in the oven for the weetabix loaf? I used to make something similar years ago with All Bran...

1 Mug of Allbran
    1 Mug of Milk
    1 Mug of SR flour
    1 Mug of Soft Brown Sugar
    1 Mug of Sultanas

Soak the Allbran in the milk until it goes mushy....add the rest of the ingredients to make a mush....pour in the tin....cook!

Unfortunately I've forgotten at what temp and for how long

Edit: try gas mark 4 (180C) for around thirty minutes but test with a skewer or knife. When it comes out clean the cake is done.
    Last edited by squeaky; 19-09-2005 at 8:54 AM. Reason: to add the title
    Owned by 4 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and 2 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10
    Miss u sweetie...
  • AussieLass
    Impossible Quiche
    1 1/4 cups milk
    1/2 cup SR flour
    3 eggs
    1 cup grated cheese
    chopped bacon or ham
    any grated veg you have - carrot, zucchini,chopped mushrooms,etc
    1 onion chopped
    1/2 can of drained corn niblets.

Mix all together and bake in moderate oven 3/4 hour or until brown on top.

I put anything or as little in this depending on what I've got in the fridge. Makes it's own pastry.
  • AussieLass
    Settler's Slice
    Pastry: 1 cup Plain flour, rub in 3 tablespoons butter, then add 2 teaspoons brown vinegar & 1 tablespoon milk. Roll out and line a generous pie plate with pastry.

Filling: 1 grated carrot, 1 grated apple, 1 grated onion, 1 grated potato, 1 teaspoon mixed herbs, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 cup or more of finely chopped up cooked roast/of any sort.

Combine ingredients and place in pastry. Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and dot with butter. Bake in moderate oven 40 - 45 mins.

NB: This is good to use with any roast meat that you have for leftovers. I've made it with pork, lamb & beef and it's tasted nice. I have used frozen pastry before if I'm stuck for time. The recipe says it makes two pies but mine never does but I make the pastry & freeze half for another time.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 18th Sep 05, 8:30 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Broccoli and Apple Soup
    Broccoli and Apple Soup

Broccoli - 1 large head
    Dessert apples - 2 peeled, cored and chopped
    Butter - 50 g (2 oz)
    Red onion - 1 chopped
    Vegetable stock - 750 ml (1 pint),
    Pepper to taste
    Double cream - 90 ml (3 fl oz) - optional

1. Discard the tough stem from the broccoli and coarsely chop.
    2. Melt butter, add the onion and apples, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
    3. Add the stock and broccoli.
    4. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    5. Pur!e the soup (stick blender in pan is easiest)
    6. Add pepper and cream.
    7. Serve with croutons or fresh crusty bread!

It's very yummy

PS you might want to do a taste test before adding the cream, as I actually prefer it without cream in, and so does DS, but it's fine either way
    ~

• pol
    • By pol 18th Sep 05, 12:14 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    Tomato and Lentil Soup
    Tomato and Lentil Soup

2 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    3-4 oz red lentils
    small leek, chopped (optional)
    2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
    2 tins tomatoes
    good squirt of tomato puree
    dash worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 pints vegetable stock

Cook lentils, carrots, leek and onion in the stock, add everything else and simmer for 15 mins. Season to taste with mixed herbs and pepper.
    Whizz with a blender and that's it! It makes about 5-6 good portions. You could bulk it out with red peppers too. I use it as a soup, and boil it down for the base of bolognese sauce too.

pol
    Last edited by squeaky; 19-09-2005 at 9:07 AM. Reason: to add the title
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 18th Sep 05, 12:18 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Festive Ice-Cream
    Festive Ice-Cream

Ingredients:
    400g mascarpone
    200g icing sugar
    4 egg yolks, beaten until pale
    125 mls Cointreau
    250 gms Christmas plum pudding
    1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out

Method:
    1 Mix the mascarpone, icing sugar, vanilla seeds and beaten egg yolks together thoroughly, and then whisk in the cointreau.

2 When the mixture is smooth, gently stir in the crumbled plum pudding. Pour into a plastic tub and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.

3 Serve garnished with another splash of cointreau.
    ~

• deeds
    • By deeds 19th Sep 05, 12:23 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 247 Thanks
    deeds
    Mediterranean Turkey
    This is a recipe great for the Foreman grill.

Couple of Turkey steaks
    Tablespoon Oregano
    4 Tbs Olive Oil
    4 Tbs lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic

Mix oregano, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic add a twist of black pepper, chuck in the turkey steaks and make sure they are well copvered with the mixture, marinade in the fridge for minimum 1 hour.

Heat your foreman grill and put the steaks on it making sure the remaining marinade is poured over, cook for above 5 minutes (or until done) et voila!

( I usually use both of my foreman grease catcher trays, I use one to collect the juice, then slide it out put the clean one under and pour the juice over the steaks whilst they are cooking, it keeps them nice and moist and covered in the marinade! Theres very little if any fat comes out of the turkey anyway)
    Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 19th Sep 05, 12:57 PM
    • 19,580 Posts
    • 20,373 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Really really easy home made (lol!) 'expensive' ice cream
    Can't remember where I found this one. It's a real MSE recipe though...

Very very cheap vanilla ice cream (Tesco's basic, something like that) You want the sort that DOESN'T say dairy ice cream.
    For each litre of ice cream, half a pint of cream (which you have just bought reduced, at the end of the day)
    2 dessert spoons of black treacle
    A handful of pecan or walnut halves

Leave the ice cream out of the fridge for about an hour (winter) or keep watching it (summer) until you can stir the other ingredients in with a great deal of effort. Don't let it get too runny. (Please note that you are not meant to melt and then re-freeze dairy things. But you didn't buy dairy ice cream, did you? YOU got the really cheap stuff, like I said!) Do that, stir really well, and re-freeze.

Have a dinner party and serve your expensive home-made ice-cream. If you like, you can pour more cream on top
    Last edited by eastchristina; 19-09-2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Left out a word!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 22nd Sep 05, 2:42 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Morrocan Lamb Stew
    Can be made in a slow cooker or on top of the cooker in a pot.

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs lamb stew meat (I'm making this tonight but using beef pieces)
    1 onion chopped
    1 celery stalk sliced thinly
    1 clove garlic, pressed
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1/3 cup chicken stock
    1/3 cup raisins
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes or chilli powder
    1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method

For slow cookers, combine all ingredients and cook on High for 4 - 5 hours, low 8 - 10 hours

For cooking in a pot,
    soften onion and garlic together, add meat and brown off, then put in rest of ingredients. Cook on a low heat for approx 2 hours until juices thicken and meat is tender.

Serve with saffron cous cous.
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 22nd Sep 05, 2:45 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    Saffron Cous Cous
    Ingredients

Cous Cous
    Water
    Saffron
    small knob of butter

Method

Measure out cous cous as per packet instructions. When dry add a good pinch of saffron. Add water or stock to cous cous and follow packet instructions for standing times etc. Just before serving cous cous, add a small knob of butter and stir through for a rich taste. Can be served with many dishes including Morrocan Lamb Stew.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 22nd Sep 05, 8:46 PM
    • 13,023 Posts
    • 48,270 Thanks
    Nelski
    Paprika Chicken
    Paprika Chicken

4 chicken breasts
    1/2 pt dry sherry
    1/2 pt water
    12floz double cream
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    1 tsp paprika
    1 small block of mature cheddar cheese (grated)
    Salt and pepper

Boil the chicken breasts in the water and sherry for 1/2 hour until tender
    In a large bowl mix all the remaining ingredients.
    Remove the chicken and put into an oven proof dish. (if time permits reduce the juice and place on top of the chicken)
    When nearly ready to serve place sauce over the chicken and place under a slow grill until mix is brown and bubbling
    Serve immediatley
    enjoy xx
    Last edited by squeaky; 25-09-2005 at 9:27 AM. Reason: to add the title
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

16Posts Today

3,778Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin