Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    callansdad
    Help no frozen food!!
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:23 AM
    Help no frozen food!! 16th Sep 05 at 11:23 AM
    Just noticed that my DH left our chest freezer unplugged 4 nites ago so i have thrown the contents into the wheelie bin. Including the nice chicken for supper.

Would be all set for supper if i could justify making Butterscotch Angel Delight! DS would love this!

All i have left is very basic storecupboard essentials, potatoes, eggs, tinned hotdogs etc. Don't have any vegetables either as i usually buy frozen. Have some corned beef so might have corned beef hash. I'm not very imaginative, especially at such short notice.

Any ideas?
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
Page 1
  • homersimpson
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:37 AM
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:37 AM
    egg and chips, omlette, hot dogs and chips, potato wedges, would also suggest corned beef hash, sandwiches (egg, corned beef). sometimes the less imaginative meals go down a treat (majority of people like beans on toast once in a while!).
    • By 16011996 16th Sep 05, 11:42 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:42 AM
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:42 AM
    if you have milk and flour, how about toad in the hole with the hot dog sausages? maybe with some mash.
  • Maisie
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:44 AM
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:44 AM
    Just noticed that my DH left our chest freezer unplugged 4 nites ago so i have thrown the contents into the wheelie bin. Including the nice chicken for supper.

Would be all set for supper if i could justify making Butterscotch Angel Delight! DS would love this!

All i have left is very basic storecupboard essentials, potatoes, eggs, tinned hotdogs etc. Don't have any vegetables either as i usually buy frozen. Have some corned beef so might have corned beef hash. I'm not very imaginative, especially at such short notice.

Any ideas?
    by callansdad
    Spanish omelette (ie cooked sliced potatoes mixed with the eggs)

Can I use your freezer? Mine is still stuffed with Birds eye beef! I can't open a drawer it's so jammed full.
  • callansdad
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:50 AM
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:50 AM
    Spanish omelette (ie cooked sliced potatoes mixed with the eggs)

Can I use your freezer? Mine is still stuffed with Birds eye beef! I can't open a drawer it's so jammed full.
    by Maisie

lol, i have 2 chest freezers, the other one is jam packed with roast beef!
    Can't bear to eat any more beef at the moment, lived on it for a few weeks. Had just stocked up my freezer on tuesday so i could have a bit of variety!

Thank you for your suggestions, keep em comin!
    A banker is someone who lends you an umbrella when the sun is shining, and who asks for it back when it start to rain.
    • elona
    • By elona 16th Sep 05, 11:53 AM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,456 Thanks
    elona
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:53 AM
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:53 AM
    Check if you can claim on your household insurance for the value of the ruined food.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 16th Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 7,522 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    • 16th Sep 05, 11:54 AM
    Probably too late now,but I would have gone through the thawed out food to see what was still useable.After all,if you buy fresh,you can usually keep it unfrozen for a few days.It would have still been frozen for about 12 hours or so if you didnt open it for the 4 days.When we had a week long power cut back in the hurricane in the 80's,we cooked everything we could after 3 days and then that lasted a few days more.
    I can understand if you didnt want to risk it though.
  • callansdad
    • 16th Sep 05, 12:29 PM
    • 16th Sep 05, 12:29 PM
    Thanks didn't think about insurance. Didn't want to take the chance, the extra large chicken seemed a little soft. Funnily enough the extra roast beef that i had stored in there seemed solid. It was a really good excuse to throw some of it out!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,509Posts Today

7,372Users online

Martin's Twitter